Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

typhoon rs question

Reaction score
just crossed my mind is the intel real sense also tied into the gps. Can it be used with gps off or is it independent of the gps system. Thinking setting it up to stop forward movement of the drone when enabled. Had a issue with the first rs unit from a crash. One of the cameras I was unable to clear the dirt from and when the rs was enabled the drone would not move forward. However I still had side to side , backward and up and down control.

Can someone clarify what the real sense is used for. Is it only for indoor flying with no GPS or does the H have NO obstacle avoidance withOUT r.s.?

Can someone clarify what the real sense is used for. Is it only for indoor flying with no GPS or does the H have NO obstacle avoidance withOUT r.s.?
Without RealSence, the H480 used sonar based obstacle avoidance so, yes, the H does have obstacle avoidance without the RS module.

I will break down how I understand the RealSense works from my own personal experience:

The RealSense is used for dynamic obstacle avoidance (the unit will automatically adjust it's trajectory to fly around obstacles) when flying in Smart Mode (Headless + Follow me/Watch me) when you have the Obstacle Avoidance switch enabled. Smart Mode requires GPS.

If you disable GPS to fly manually you will be locked in Angle Mode; you wont be able to enter Smart mode, so RealSense wont be in effect (no dynamic obstacle avoidance in Angle Mode). However, the regular obstacle avoidance will still work if the switch is enabled. (this will be using the frontal sonar, which is not part of the RealSense module).

The only part that is always functioning within the RealSense module is the Downward-facing sonar, which will limit how low the H can fly when the landing gear is Up, basically protecting from hitting the camera on the ground (this safety feature is independent of the Obstacle Avoidance switch position)

There is a way to manually activate the Downward facing Optical sensor of the RealSense module for indoors flight, this is known as the IPS flight mode (Indoors Positioning System). However it seems as if it's not fully integrated yet (It wont be activated automatically unless you follow the specific activation procedure) Flying in this mode disables GPS assist, the aircraft will be locked in Angle Mode; Smart mode will not be accessible: No Follow/Watch me, No dynamic obstacle avoidance from RealSense and No Return Home.

Hope this clears some of your doubts!

Greetings!

Last edited:
Reactions: BeeRAD56

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ardigitalmedia