Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

US drone registration to return

Personally I feel better now that all the potential illegal use of drones has now been abated, especially terrorists. All it took was for the gubmint to enact a law requiring a number be inked on the drone.

I'm on the opposite side of the fence with "net neutrality" but this isn't the place for that.

As of now we are also looking at on board tracking systems. The only question is whether or not AMA members will be able to avoid it. Of course, DJI, who sits on the advisory council, came up with a tracking system they are desperate to get any government to adopt which will in turn give DJI a drone tracking software licensing monopoly within any country their design is adopted.

How many have written even one e-mail to their elected representatives? Worse, how many have any idea what's going on with drone legislation in government?

How many have written even one e-mail to their elected representatives? Worse, how many have any idea what's going on with drone legislation in government?

I can only speak for myself. My congressman and senators hear from me weekly.

I have to admit though that drone laws have been at the bottom of the list of my concerns.

Reactions: PatR
As a brand new user with only 2 flights under my belt,It goes without saying that responsibility goes both ways. Regulation should have it's boundary. Registration, I see no problem. Also,If I do something stupid or worse dangerous, they should be able to track my S/N, MAC address etc.. if it caused damage. Private recreation, register only but subject to the same penalties as a commercial.

Transponders for recreation.......**** NO.

That is really what I'm worried about. I like to make my own "drones". I fly them safely. Not over people, no where near manned aircraft, generally at altitudes that would be unsafe for manned aircraft to fly. I don't want any additional rules or requirements from the FAA other than what has already been put into the law. Now that the FAA has once again made it so "may not promulgate any rule or regulation regarding a model aircraft" means the can still promulgate rules on model aircraft who knows what they will do next.

I will admit that after the FAA M&R Act of 2012 and then the Taylor lawsuit I stop paying as much attention to new drone regulations and writing my representatives about them because I thought it had been settled. Whoops.

Indeed. The registration requirement is again in place for everything heavier than a micro quad. Pretty much the same methods as before. Recreational, register yourself once every 3 years, commercial has independent registration for each aircraft for the same duration.

Not a bad idea but the timing could be better. IMO, basic education should occur before purchase to qualify, and continue in depth after the purchase.

Not a bad idea but the timing could be better. IMO, basic education should occur before purchase to qualify, and continue in depth after the purchase.

Aren’t you then placing the burden on the retailer to verify education?

Put the burden on DMVo_O. There are plenty of testing centers that could step up to the plate such as when one goes to take a Real estate exam, insurance exam and so on.

Aren’t you then placing the burden on the retailer to verify education?

In a way, yes, but the manufacturer could assist with offsetting the expense of dealers if they wanted to sell their products. Direct internet sales would place that burden squarely on the manufacturers. I don't believe the safety issues are anywhere near as great as is being reported by the media but that reporting has generated a public perception of wanton safety violations. I do believe there is an underlying reason for creating fear with the general public, a story for another day, but we either quell those fears or see very severe flight restrictions imposed that will have to be coded into every flight controller sold, and likely severe penalties for those caught flying without restricted software. There's plenty to indicate DJI is pushing for just such a solution. I don't want that to happen at all.

Reactions: rdonson
In a way, yes, but the manufacturer could assist with offsetting the expense of dealers if they wanted to sell their products. Direct internet sales would place that burden squarely on the manufacturers. I don't believe the safety issues are anywhere near as great as is being reported by the media but that reporting has generated a public perception of wanton safety violations. I do believe there is an underlying reason for creating fear with the general public, a story for another day, but we either quell those fears or see very severe flight restrictions imposed that will have to be coded into every flight controller sold, and likely severe penalties for those caught flying without restricted software. There's plenty to indicate DJI is pushing for just such a solution. I don't want that to happen at all.

The backlash to that will be lost sales,and anybody with half a mind (i know thats a stretch) will know this. I agree this is blown out of proportion, however some rules are worth having. In the end sales/money talks and if corporations feel the pinch, they will lobby and hopefly things will balance out.

I know I'm bring optimistic...

Maybe I’m missing something but drone pilots don’t seem to have the infrastructure that RC/AMA pilots do. No drone clubs around me that I can find. No airfields like RC has. When I got into RC sailplanes (many moons ago :)) there were locations where pilots gathered. There was the League of Silent Flight, etc. I had people that helped me get started into the hobby.

This seems missing for drones. We have some excellent online resources like this forum and YouTube but the face to face seems missing.

Reactions: Ghostnotes
I went to 2 local RC club, first I had to obtain insurance through them, I already have ½ million policy, second they despised drones, and third if a member with his copter or fixed wing came I was then told I would have to get back of the line. Kiss my a_ _ and I left. o_O

2 years ago I was proud to register with the FAA. I registered the first day and it was free. We have to register cars, we have licenses and other sensible government regulations. It is just part of living in a free democratic society. I am just waiting for them to start registering guns and I will also be the first in line.

Last edited:
I went to 2 local RC club, first I had to obtain insurance through them, I already have ½ million policy, second they despised drones, and third if a member with his copter or fixed wing came I was then told I would have to get back of the line. Kiss my a_ _ and I left. o_O

I understand.

The point being where are the drone clubs? Is it because our hobby is that different? Is it that we don’t do barrels rolls or other aerobatic feats? Is it that we’d get bored flying in the same place? Are we just lone wolves?

I ask this because it seems as pilots we lack a voice. That may hamper our ability to affect regulation, legislation, etc.

If we don’t have a voice then only the manufacturers will be heard.

Yes I would definitely get extremely, yawning bored flying in the same place.
I do barrel rolls when I sleep.
I think drone people are independents and enjoy the freedom to fly just about anywhere without supervision. Clubs restrict that behavior, my opinion.

I understand.

The point being where are the drone clubs? Is it because our hobby is that different? Is it that we don’t do barrels rolls or other aerobatic feats? Is it that we’d get bored flying in the same place? Are we just lone wolves?

I ask this because it seems as pilots we lack a voice. That may hamper our ability to affect regulation, legislation, etc.

If we don’t have a voice then only the manufacturers will be heard.

I don't know about other areas of the country, but my local racing drone club seems to be quite popular. I'm not a member, because I'm not good enough to race but I pay attention online. In addition to requiring AMA registration from all its members who race (for insurance purposes), my local drone club is a member of https://www.multigp.com. MultiGP boasts that they have 1100 chapters around the world so maybe that provides the face to face type of thing for at least racing drones. Not sure about AP or just general drones. I think their acceptance at AMA clubs/airfields vary with some being more tolerant or interested than others.

Reactions: rdonson

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
catfish