Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Video Transmission Security

Reaction score
Hi,

Does anyone know if the video is encrypted coming from a Typhoon H to the controller? I just want to know that others can't intercept my video signal from the drone.

Thanks.

The video is not encrypted and could possibly be captured by someone if they knew what they were looking for.

Reactions: DCH
Thank you DoomMeister. I asked because I attempted to use a "standard" 5.8 mHz video receiver to see if I could intercept the signal without any luck. So if its not encrypted, is it on a proprietary channel such that someone would have to have an st16 to see it? In other words, some plain vanilla 5.8 receiver isn't going to see the TH signal, right?

The video is transmitted over WiFi in the 5.8 GHz band that is what you are binding to with the ST-16.

If you have an iOS device you can get the CGO3 app and connect to the camera also. It will slow down the video link with each device that gets added on at once.

The video feed is not the greatest to begin with and is the 720p video recorded by the ST-16.

All true. But the answer to your question is "YES". Anyone that has a smartphone and knows how drone video is set up can intercept your video feed. It can also be intercepted by wireless security systems.

Reactions: DCH
You can see and connect to the video wifi if you are close enough. To see the video, however, would require the app and some knowledge on how to make it work. It's unlikely that anyone not familiar with Yuneec products would be able to view the video feed. A cell phone doesn't have a great wifi range so close proximity to the camera would be a must.

This brings up a question about the C23. I wanted to see the feed on the CGO3 app, but there is nothing the app recognized. There must be a way, but it is beyond me. I'm sure someone here (like @h-elsner ) knows how to hack the feed with w 5.8 receiver (smartphone). Hopefully they will weigh in.

The Phone can see the camera, I can connect to the camera using the password, but I cannot see the video when I use the IP address in a browser to access it. Browser can't establish connection. I see there is a specific security "WAPA2 PSK", but this is were my android ability hits the wall of ignorance.

Try connecting to http://192.168.42.1 with the browser. You should be able to get to the file structure. If the http:// doesn’t work, try ftp://192.168.42.1.

The Phone can see the camera, I can connect to the camera using the password, but I cannot see the video when I use the IP address in a browser to access it. Browser can't establish connection. I see there is a specific security "WAPA2 PSK", but this is were my android ability hits the wall of ignorance.
View attachment 15278
Maybe the password is different for the C23.

Maybe the password is different for the C23.
Password is the same, that's how I was able to establish a link to the C23 and have its information displayed on the phone (see the attached photo above).

If the http:// doesn’t work, try ftp://192.168.42.1.
Will try this later. WX is optimal right now so I've got bigger fish to fry, because I've got bigger birds to fly!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fantacmet