Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

What to do? Landing gear stuck up!!

Hand catching is as safe as the skills of the pilot. If you trust the H to hold a hover then it’s very easy. If it’s toilet bowling then you need to be more careful. I’ve had some of mine in this mode so I stand where the loop brings the H to me and just reach up and grab the gear while depressing the stop button. Once you get past the trepidation the first time, it’s quite repeatable but for sure is never to be done carelessly.

I almost always hand catch my H due to the rough and dusty trails I'm on. I did hand catch my H once with the gear stuck up a few updates back.

I do not recommended hand catching the H, I have a method that works for me. I park it about 7 feet up and let it settle. I slowly approach it and grab a gear leg. This comes in handy in the wind.

Hand catching the H480 is safe enough if one takes due diligence when doing it. Obviously a little more difficult if the gear is stuck up but still do-able. I too, though, would not advocate the exclusive practice of always hand catching. IMHO hand catching should only be done if circumstances dictate the necessity: If the landing gear is stuck up; if the ground surrounding you is rough, etc.

Method if gear is down: descend so the aircraft is above head height so you can reach near to the top of one of the legs WITHOUT STRETCHING. Approach the aircraft rather than bring the aircraft to you; ensure a stable hover; Grab it near the the top of one of the legs while you have a finger poised over the red button (a neck strap is a must have for this); once you have a firm grip of the aircraft kill the motors.

Method if gear is up: Same as above but difficult to catch it at the leg. Can catch it at the gimbal but be careful since it would be very easy to break the gimbal away from the aircraft. Best way is to kill the motors at exactly the same time as you grab it allowing the aircraft to settle into your hand. Hand catching when the gear is up should be a last resort though, and only done if you've tried everything to bring the gear down. It is possible to land on the ground if you a skillful in doing very soft landings. Yes, you run the risk of breaking a couple of props and the gimbal rails but any damage can be minimal, if any at all, if you are very skilled at soft landings....but it takes A LOT of skill...a very steady soft touch on that left stick.

Reactions: ThunderChicken
Hand caught mine the other day due to out if sync landing gear. One thing you have to watch is that it will try to throttle up if you change elevation.

It will rev up in wind also but a firm grip and steady hold on the motor stop without panic is all that’s needed. The trick is to be ready to hold steady once the motors quit. I won’t touchdown in wind and hand catching makes more sense here in the desert for me.

I hand catch only when necessary. If the H does not want to settle and land because of wind or other causes. Or if landing gear is in the up position and won't extend down, I get the H to a hover down wind from me at about 7 feet while holding the ST-16 in my left hand and index finger over the start stop switch. I reach up with my right hand and gently grasp the gimbal mount up on the topside not the rubber Isolated part. Do Not try to yank it out of the air or move it in any direction. When you have it controlled press and hold the switch down until shut down occurs.
If you mess up and move the H you will have six angry "Weed Whackers" looking for revenge.
I do not recommend hand catching.

Hypothetical. If your by yourself and you cannot get the gear down on the H, how difficult do you think it would be to try to hand catch?? Any other solutions?
I regularly catch the H by the u/c leg when flying over long grass by hovering over head height, reach up and take hold of the leg while cutting the power. When you get hold of the leg, the rotors tend to power up and get away, and as they stop, the whole thing flops to one side. I have found this perfectly safe as the H always falls away to one side. In emergency I would catch by the gimbal, but would be very nervous about breaking the mounting.

Hypothetical. If your by yourself and you cannot get the gear down on the H, how difficult do you think it would be to try to hand catch?? Any other solutions?
just get it to hover at an alltitude that is a bit higher than your head. walk under it and grab the bottom of the H just behind the gimbal, where the flight status led is. at the moment of grabbing press and hold the red button on the ST-16 and hold still untill it switches off. It's actually not that dangerous. but still be carefull.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smyers