Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Where are we with the H920 - should I buy

Reaction score
Ok I have seen a new H920 for sale at a very good price without camera. I understand the H920 is no longer supported by Yuneec, is that correct?
Will I still be able to get a CGO4 I assume a GH4 will not fit?
I understand there are few autonomous features?
This has an ST24, are they out of production?

I want this as a cheap way to get a GH4 in the air, for video and Inspection work. Do you think I should consider this or would I be buying an obsolete a/c?

Ok I have seen a new H920 for sale at a very good price without camera. I understand the H920 is no longer supported by Yuneec, is that correct?

I want this as a cheap way to get a GH4 in the air, for video and Inspection work. Do you think I should consider this or would I be buying an obsolete a/c?

Steve,

Just curious... have you looked at the discussion list for the 920 lately? Your inquiry currently is right below PatR's thread, in which it seems the same discussion already took place (and is continuing). Well, your's was below until I bumped it!

Might I suggest you get some coffee and read up here? You might find the very discussion you are trying to start already exists.

If, by chance, your questions are completely unrelated, please accept my apologies and let me slither away. ;)

Jeff

Steve,

Just curious... have you looked at the discussion list for the 920 lately? Your inquiry currently is right below PatR's thread, in which it seems the same discussion already took place (and is continuing).

Might I suggest you get some coffee and read up here? You might find the very discussion you are trying to start already exists.

If, by chance, your questions are completely unrelated, please accept my apologies and let me slither away. ;)

Jeff
Fair point and I am in fact reading through it, but its a long thread and I was hoping for a quick "it is worth considering if.." or " No don't even think about it" before I delved deeper.
I realise now I would want the plus with the ST16 still listed on Yuneec UK and doesnt seem a bad price.

Reactions: NorWiscPilot
Fair point and I am in fact reading through it, but its a long thread and I was hoping for a quick "it is worth considering if.." or " No don't even think about it" before I delved deeper.
I realise now I would want the plus with the ST16 still listed on Yuneec UK and doesnt seem a bad price.
From reading many comments it appears that Yuneec UK supports the H920 far better than Yuneec here in the colonies. Also be aware that the CGO4 for the H920 has different software than the CGO4 used in the H920+. Apparently only Yuneec can flash the software to make a conversion.

You would be better served with a 920+ for the applications you described as it offers a few more simple automated features. The threads that best describe the system are indeed long but would you be satisfied if someone simply said "great aircraft, you should buy one" or "terrible aircraft, run from it"? As you are asking questions you are in search of answers, and I'm sure there are a lot more questions you'll ask before deciding, and many of them are provided answers in the other threads.

Is the 920 obsolete? Absolutely, and it was obsoleted the moment they converted them to the 920+, which is in it's own way further obsoleted by the conversion from 920 to 920+. Rather than go into all the reasons why and how I'll let you read some other threads in here that cover all that well.

Because both are obsolete in no way reduces their functionality. They work for a lot of different purposes quite well but someone looking for an automated, tap to fly aircraft will not be satisfied. They are extremely stable, their size permits LOS ops at considerably longer range that the usual gamut of 400mm-600mm dimension aircraft will allow, shoot truly great video and pretty **** good stills in various formats. You do have to spend a little time with the camera to learn how all of the functions work. The 920+ with a CGO-4 has a 14-42mm zoom lens which allows the aircraft to stand off a safe distance from the subject and still acquire a very clear 16Mpxl photo that does not have to be enlarged to see what you need to see. The 920+ accepts ONLY the CGO-4, and a CGO-3 if a gimbal adapter is obtained. If you desire to use other cameras only the original 920 will permit that. However, the CGO-4 is a spin off of the GH-4 so it may already have all you need to get things done. A 920 will provide pretty good flight time if you avoid factory batteries and use after market batteries. All that is well covered in another thread.

For the moment parts are available, with the UK and EU appearing to provide better service than the U.S. Retract actuators do not appear to be available so take care of the landing gear. Since it's easy to land you have to try hard to damage the gear during a landing.

Yep, it's obsolete but just about anything over three months old is obsolete. The manufacturers want things to be that way as it opens the door for them to sell new stuff with minor to moderate upgrades to all their customers every 6 months or so. They really like to repeatedly pick their customer's pockets as they prefer to charge for all the new stuff that could easily be added at nominal cost or through firmware upgrades for free. The 920 is stable in software, firmware, and hardware. What you see is what you get and there won't ever be any more stuff thrown at it that might or might not work as advertised.

Write down what you need or want to do and what you absolutely must have to accomplish them. Review what has already been written about the 920/920+ here and in the Facebook 920/920+ Owner's Group. Recognize that no more will ever be made available and you may want to order some spare parts after obtaining a 920 to assure you have them if and when they become needed. If a 920 is a tool that will fulfill the need satisfactorily then consider buying one. If you want to keep up with the "Jone's" you don't want a 920. The best multirotor I have (3DR X-8) became obsolete almost 4 years ago, but it's still in use because it will still do many things better than any current consumer drone. It's just limited by how much camera it can carry.

Last edited:
@PatR Many thanks for a comprehensive reply. I know I have been guilty of looking for a quick answer, it is because I have been flat out at work and little time to read the threads on here for a few days, I just wanted a quick way to get some response on whether to research properly. I have started reading up in depth though as I had forgotten there was a H920 plus, so my bad.

I have also discovered (though I am sure you already know, that it is possible to attach a GH4 or GH5 to the plus using the GB603 with the a/c controlled by the ST16 and the Gimbal controlled by the ST24 or so I am reliab ly informed on the facebook group. That is a bit of a drag for me as I mainly operate solo but fancy the GH5.

I did look at a self build but the learning curve to build a decent hex seems like a long project with probably expensive errors along the way and I am not sure I want to build for a hobby I just want a drone to operate.

I will get into the H920 threads now, though the H920 plus forum seems very quiet as yet.

Regards

There are not many that fly either the 920 or the 920+. It was quite expensive at between $7,000.00 and $8,000.00 when it first came out and the U.S. was in the middle of an FAA sUAS power play at the same time. I don't know what the actual count is but world wide there are not all that many of them in private hands compared to all the stuff that can be had for $1,000.00 or less, a level that appears to be satisfactory in performance for most people. If I was dead set on using a GH5, mirrorless, or other DSLR and had the customer base that would ultimately pay for all it involved I would look at a custom designed rig from a specific vendor. They are expensive (~$8k before camera and gimbal) so I would have to be sure my customers are demonstrating the demand and would be paying rates that amortized the cost of the system fairly quickly. I will say such a system is well worth it. Anytime we can shoot in 24-50Mpxl and interchange lenses we are miles ahead of the competition.

I certainly would not suggest building your own as it's a labor intensive process, requires a lot of component research to select the right stuff, gets expensive in parts orders, and involves a lot of component compatibility work in video transmission components. All that before you even get to selecting a gimbal and mount interface.

I obtained the 920+ after researching in depth the capabilities of the 920, 920+, and 520. I deliberately left DJI products off the list because of their beyond invasive data collection policies and insistence on maintain ownership control of where and when their aircraft can be operated.

I found the 920 was the more versatile system but few "dealer new" systems were available. The 520 quickly fell from favor as it failed by a very large amout to live up to advertised expectations. The 920+ provided and pretty darn good 16Mpxl camera with a 3X zoom capability, waypoint ops capability, and maps but lacked geo tagging ability and team mode functionality. However, employing a CGO-3 and gimbal adapter with whatever lens was desired returned geo tagging, team mode, and allowed use of the system as what pretty much works out to be an over sized H. What I lose in geo tagging was easily recovered with the CGO-3 and an 8mm Peau lens for photo inspection work when geo references are necessary The various trade offs were easily balanced out in other ways.

That's why I suggested you lay out what you need and must have versus what you might want to establish what system will work out best in the long run. Screw all the brand advertising hype and various widgets you may never need or use, get whet you need to do the jobs that you know you'll be doing all the time. Nothing else matters.

Last edited:
Thanks, I don't have the customer base to justify a custom build, not sure if I ever will but am trying to build it up. So I am looking for a UAV that is as mutipurpose as I can for now. So far just used the H. I have the opportunity to do some inspection work as well as general construction site promo videos and stills. That is it for now and why the 920 has appeal, I suppose it depends if the CGO4 has good enough IQ. I remember seeing the awful Yuneec launch video showing off the zoom capability when they couldn't even keep it in focus and so it kind of slipped out of my field of interest for a while.

Sorry, I added to my earlier post while you were typing this one.

Yuneec was touting that 18x zoom of the other camera back then. I also thought it was a disaster as the state of most gimbals used for multirotors fall way short in ability to deal with vibration at high magnification levels. Until recently DJI's couldn't stabilize a camera when the aircraft yawed. High zoom levels and video make for a real expensive gimbal for one that will be effective. The CGO-4 does allow a little shimmer when zoomed to 42mm. For photo work it's a non issue but someone using it at full zoom for video might want to use a post processing stabilization program. There's not a lot to remove but it's there. For general work It's hard to beat the CGO 3 and 4 gimbals. Disturbance of the aircraft just does not get telegraphed to the image. It remains rock solid. The aircraft itself is very smooth in flight.

The current pricing for a new 920+ can be very attractive when compared to other options, but don't buy one from a shop that isn't discounting them from retail list pricing like I did. The 920 might be even better as it's certainly more versatile but finding a brand new one, unused, might be difficult. Locating the different gimbals you may need might also be difficult. Dougcjohn might be able to provide better insight in that area as he's been searching for payload options for his 920. Warranty work might be a little tough because Yuneec might want to convert it to a Plus as soon as in fell into their hands. You might not get back what you sent in.

The GH5 is a micro 4/3, 20.3Mpxl camera. The CGO-4 is a micro 4/3, 16Mpxl camera that's already fitted to a tuned gimbal. You are the one that has to decide if the difference will be important enough in the long run. I doubt your customers would ever see the difference.

Absolutely! It's a feature I use on a regular basis.

The Plus also employs the other H-480 features of POI, CCC, Journey, and Orbit.

As the CGO-4 has a much broader set of camera controls the 920+ does not make use of the left side D pad for camera adjustments. Those are all done though a series of screen icons and a tools menu.

Last edited:
No. Most of the settings from the previous battery are retained for the next power up. EV does revert to 0 when changing batteries. Changing from still to video and back changes a few minor things but IRRC those are items you would change on your own when switching between photo and video.

The one thing that always bugs me with Yuneec camera adjustments is how it always reverts back to default after every battery change or switching from camera to video, is it the same with the 920+ ?
No, the 920+ CGO4 settings are retained after a power cycle. Also, with the 920+, CGO4 setting groups can be stored in the ST16 and recalled to reprogram the CGO4 at any time the ST16 and H920+/CGO4 units are powered and connected. This capability can be used in flight. This feature is very useful since the number of possible CGO4 setting groups is quite large. The soft keys for these functions are located 3/4 of the way down the right side of the ST16 screen. One key stores the setting group( user selects a name) the other key sends the setting group to the CGO4. I have not seen any Yuneec documentation for this function.

Reactions: OnTheRopes
No, the 920+ CGO4 settings are retained after a power cycle. Also, with the 920+, CGO4 setting groups can be stored in the ST16 and recalled to reprogram the CGO4 at any time the ST16 and H920+/CGO4 units are powered and connected. This capability can be used in flight. This feature is very useful since the number of possible CGO4 setting groups is quite large. The soft keys for these functions are located 3/4 of the way down the right side of the ST16 screen. One key stores the setting group( user selects a name) the other key sends the setting group to the CGO4. I have not seen any Yuneec documentation for this function.

Enlightening[emoji106]

That is reassuring, if there was a way to get the GH4/GH5 operational on the plus in solo mode from the ST16 I would buy this in a shot, having to use a ST24 and Team mode leaves me in a quandary as to what to do for the best, I know the CGO4 is a good camera, its just that it is already a bit out of date. I am still considering the non plus model but would maybe miss the autonomous features.

On a side note I spoke with Yuneec UK technical today as my H has just been repaired, I asked if the 920 plus would be continued to be supported ( he was more of a Breeze/H tech) but he hinted that Yuneec had switched all there interest to the 520 and H plus and wouldn't be surprised if they discontinue it. That would be such a shame. Perhaps not news to many of you but I though I would post it anyway.
Right its back to reading @PatR 's long thread on the subject I'm up to page 10 so far :)

I would hope you have more interesting things to do than read my ramblings...
I was being (very slightly) sarcastic. Though I am reading your ramblings in between other things and also the 520 forum and ,makes interesting reading for the most.
Not sure its helping with my decision but I am making progress

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OneIndiaPestControl