Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

White balance for snow video

Reaction score
I'm going to shoot a snowmobile event this weekend (weather permitting). After reading some info about shooting photos and video in the snow, I would like some input from the pros on white balance, shutter speed, etc. that might be helpful.

Use the snow itself to set the WB if your subject will be surrounded by the stuff. Use an ND filter, especially if the sun is not obscured. Without one you'll have to up the ISO. Shutter will be established after getting the light under control. Shoot a test vid and picture and have what you need with you to grade it.

Reactions: CC Rider
If you want to preserve the mood of the scene, set the whitebalance to Sunny. If the sky is overcast, this will preserve the look. If sunny, it will preserve that look, too.

If you whitebalance off the snow and force the snow to be white, every other color in the scene may be off.

It depends on what your editing with also. I use Premiere and I would use a ND filter on the camera and shoot in Raw, with a custom white balance set to your lighting conditions

One other thing: if you rely on the auto exposure, you'll want to dial in a bunch of positive exposure compensation. Otherwise the scene will be so bright with all the snow that when the camera tries to compensate for it, it will underexpose everything else.

How much compensation is required requires some testing, I would guess 2 or 3 EV.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sierrarhodesss