Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Yaw

Reaction score
This may be a case of my airplane pilot's mind screwing with my feeble brain but ........ when I am looking at a telemetry file and it says Yaw: 159 degrees, what is that telling me? Based upon the direction the green pointer is headed it appears to be the direction the drone is headed. If so, why are we not calling this a compass heading instead of yaw? I I think most airplane pilots would agree that if you are yawning 159 degrees you are in serious trouble. Explanations appreciated.

This may be a case of my airplane pilot's mind screwing with my feeble brain but ........ when I am looking at a telemetry file and it says Yaw: 159 degrees, what is that telling me? Based upon the direction the green pointer is headed it appears to be the direction the drone is headed. If so, why are we not calling this a compass heading instead of yaw? I I think most airplane pilots would agree that if you are yawning 159 degrees you are in serious trouble. Explanations appreciated.
You raise an interesting issue. Reviewing the telemetry it appears to be the compass heading just as you thought. I don't think there is a relationship to the green arrow because the arrow simply tells you which way to move the right stick to bring the H back to the controller.

You raise an interesting issue. Reviewing the telemetry it appears to be the compass heading just as you thought. I don't think there is a relationship to the green arrow because the arrow simply tells you which way to move the right stick to bring the H back to the controller.

It may be that the term "yaw" has been misdefined, yet ingrained, into the drone world. Thanks for responding. Hopefully others will respond.

The term Yaw does means rotating the craft around the axis. I guess it's simply shorter to use Yaw rather than compass heading in the telemetry. I could very well be a holdover from early development where Yaw was the heading of the aircraft when it was booted rather than relative to North.

Last edited:
yaw
yô/
verb
  1. 1.
    (of a moving ship or aircraft) twist or oscillate about a vertical axis.
    "the jet yawed sharply to the right"
noun
  1. 1.
    a twisting or oscillation of a moving ship or aircraft around a vertical axis.
Multyrotors have always used Pitch, Roll and Yaw to describe attitude.

In an aircraft yaw would be added or subtracted from the heading depending on what you do with the rudder. If your heading is 90 deg and you add 2 degrees right rudder then the aircraft heading will begin to change. With multirotors the yaw will be 1) relative to North or 2) relative to the nose direction when the craft was turned on which would be zero if it doesn't use a compass.

In an engineering application it could be presented as a positive or negative value in degrees or radians from a central zero.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Axel66