Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Yuneec Typhoon Q500+ Motherboard

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm new to the world of drones, and I decided to approach the Q500+ because it seemed like a great drone to start flying and do some aerial shots. I bought a Q500+ which unfortunately, when switched on for the first time with a non-original LiPo battery, caused damage to the motherboard (perhaps reversed polarity). Now I'm looking for a new motherboard, I would like to know if I can order a motherboard for Q500 or for Q500 4K without having compatibility problems with my model (Q500+). I see that the cards are marked with indicative numbers (for example mine is marked with the number 1542). I would like to understand as an alternative if I can repair the card that I burned, but I see it in very bad condition.
Thanks in advance to those who can and will answer, and sorry for my English.
P.S. maybe some good soul has a board that they don't use or that I can use to try to fix the burnt one...

Attachments

• IMG20230831070739.jpg
    IMG20230831070739.jpg
    728.8 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG20230831070904.jpg
    IMG20230831070904.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG20230831070939.jpg
    IMG20230831070939.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 13
I would like to know if I can order a motherboard for Q500 or for Q500 4K without having compatibility problems with my model (Q500+
I would like to understand as an alternative if I can repair the card that I burned, but I see it in very bad condition.
I would like to know if I can order a motherboard for Q500 or for Q500 4K without having compatibility problems with my model (Q500+.
All Q500 Boards are interchangeable. There may a slight difference in the manner of wire connection. Some had connectors where others were soldered, but all can be soldered easily as needed.

I would like to understand as an alternative if I can repair the card that I burned, but I see it in very bad condition.
There is too much damage to make repair reasonable. It would take a lot of work with uncertain outcome.

Reactions: Gabbermad
io vorrei sapere se posso ordinare una scheda madre per Q500 o per Q500 4K senza problemi di compatibilità con il mio modello ( Q500 +.
Tutte le schede Q500 sono intercambiabili. Potrebbe esserci una leggera differenza nel modo di collegare il filo. Alcuni avevano connettori in cui altri erano saldati, ma tutti possono essere saldati facilmente secondo necessità.

Vorrei capire come alternativa se posso riparare la carta che ho bruciato, ma la vedo in pessime condizioni.
Ci sono troppi danni per rendere ragionevole la riparazione. Ci vorrebbe molto lavoro con risultati incerti.
Thank you so much for your honest and complete answer, if I can find a reasonably priced motherboard, could I have your help to guide me in replacing and making connections? I have basic soldering skills and good hand skills, but little understanding of integrated circuits and electrical components, so I need a "guide". Thank you.

Last edited:
Reactions: WTFDproject
Grazie mille per la risposta onesta e completa, se riesco a trovare una scheda madre a un prezzo ragionevole, potrei avere il tuo aiuto per guidarmi nella sostituzione e nella creazione di connessioni? Ho le capacità di saldatura di base e le buone capacità manuali, ma una scarsa conoscenza dei circuiti integrati e dei componenti elettrici, quindi ho bisogno di una "guida". Grazie.
It would be a pleasure to help. Basic soldering and removing a lot of screws are most of what you need. Send me a private message when you are ready to begin.

It would be a pleasure to help. Basic soldering and removing a lot of screws are most of what you need. Send me a private message when you are ready to begin.
Thank you very much, as soon as I find a low cost one I will definitely contact you, and I will take advantage of your kind help. A strange thing I noticed was that on the main board that burned out, the on/off function didn't work right away, and it doesn't work now either, of course, the drone won't start because it's burned out, however the LEDs underneath the motors flash, but if I select on/off it does not cut the power. I don't think it's a LiPo problem, I used a 2200 Mah 11.1V Turnigy with a 25/30C discharge (I know that's low amperage, but I just needed it to try and see if everything worked). I hope the battery isn't the problem, however I would like to be able to use normal and cheaper LiPos than the originals, I noticed that one of the startup chips has also had a hole in it...definitely the main board needs to be replaced...

Reactions: WTFDproject
Pretty sure the polarity was reversed on the board. The damage shown in the images is pretty much what happens when the polarity is reversed. The current behavior is also typical of a fried board, although the symptoms are very random.
I would recommend not trying to power it until a new board is installed and polarity is ensured correct. There are still ESCs, the GPS/Compass module, LEDs, receiver, camera stuff and other things that it would be good to protect.
I use normal (cheaper) LiPos in my Q500. It works fine. You have to be careful at each solder to be sure to get the polarity correct, including inserting the contacts in the correct place in the battery connector.

Hi everyone, I'm new to the world of drones, and I decided to approach the Q500+ because it seemed like a great drone to start flying and do some aerial shots. I bought a Q500+ which unfortunately, when switched on for the first time with a non-original LiPo battery, caused damage to the motherboard (perhaps reversed polarity). Now I'm looking for a new motherboard, I would like to know if I can order a motherboard for Q500 or for Q500 4K without having compatibility problems with my model (Q500+). I see that the cards are marked with indicative numbers (for example mine is marked with the number 1542). I would like to understand as an alternative if I can repair the card that I burned, but I see it in very bad condition.
Thanks in advance to those who can and will answer, and sorry for my English.
P.S. maybe some good soul has a board that they don't use or that I can use to try to fix the burnt one...
For me a very warm welcome to the forum, that's from the UK

Pretty sure the polarity was reversed on the board. The damage shown in the images is pretty much what happens when the polarity is reversed. The current behavior is also typical of a fried board, although the symptoms are very random.
I would recommend not trying to power it until a new board is installed and polarity is ensured correct. There are still ESCs, the GPS/Compass module, LEDs, receiver, camera stuff and other things that it would be good to protect.
I use normal (cheaper) LiPos in my Q500. It works fine. You have to be careful at each solder to be sure to get the polarity correct, including inserting the contacts in the correct place in the battery connector.
Hi... Your last paragraph is interesting. "I use normal (cheaper) LiPos in my Q500. It works fine. You have to be careful at each solder to be sure to get the polarity correct, including inserting the contacts in the correct place in the battery connector."
Can you be more specific please. I have an old Q500 4K and both batteries are showing very slight signs of swelling. I was looking for an alternative battery. I live in the UK if that makes any difference
Thanks

The Q500 is one of the easier drones to convert. You can find ready-made adapters on eBay most of the time. The adapters allow you to switch between OEM and aftermarket batteries. But the Aftermarket batteries need to be smaller to accommodate the adapter. Mine was altered by opening the shell and removing the battery connector from the battery box. I then plugged in an extension to route the connector outside the battery box and through a notch cut in the battery box trim above the box. Not a lot of effort and works fine. I haven't done any research to find the largest possible battery. I'm still using up a bunch of smaller batteries left over from other drones I don't fly much anymore.

The option I used was one option of a great many possibilities for a Q500. All you have to do is get power from the battery connector to the mainboard with a battery small enough to go in the box. You can do that with some variation of an adapter (restricts battery size), a dismounted plug-in extension, an extension simply plugged into the existing connector with it still mounted (also restricts battery size). You can remove the existing connector and wire and solder directly to the main board.; You can route the extensions (or soldered wires) through the box (size restriction) or outside the box. And probably a whole lot of other ways, including hanging a battery outside the shell and just running wire to existing connector.

Reactions: mickscull
The Q500 is one of the easier drones to convert. You can find ready-made adapters on eBay most of the time. The adapters allow you to switch between OEM and aftermarket batteries. But the Aftermarket batteries need to be smaller to accommodate the adapter. Mine was altered by opening the shell and removing the battery connector from the battery box. I then plugged in an extension to route the connector outside the battery box and through a notch cut in the battery box trim above the box. Not a lot of effort and works fine. I haven't done any research to find the largest possible battery. I'm still using up a bunch of smaller batteries left over from other drones I don't fly much anymore.

The option I used was one option of a great many possibilities for a Q500. All you have to do is get power from the battery connector to the mainboard with a battery small enough to go in the box. You can do that with some variation of an adapter (restricts battery size), a dismounted plug-in extension, an extension simply plugged into the existing connector with it still mounted (also restricts battery size). You can remove the existing connector and wire and solder directly to the main board.; You can route the extensions (or soldered wires) through the box (size restriction) or outside the box. And probably a whole lot of other ways, including hanging a battery outside the shell and just running wire to existing connector.
Thanks for the prompt reply. Certainly food for thought. At the moment they will slide in and out of the battery compartment with a gentle push, so they are time limited. I will have to get the cover off and see what options suit me best, (OK with a soldering iron). Having said that, the restrictions placed on drone flying in the UK are ever tightening, and flying place for big drones like the Q500 are diminishing due to all the red tape required.

I would try to get a Q500 bird instead to look for a board. There are a lot of cheap Q500 available because in most cases (crashes) the camera and the plastic body is the only defect. There is no difference if you get a white Q500, Q500G or 4k.

br HE
I thought about getting a whole one as you suggest, but it's more difficult to find a complete drone, even with a broken shell, at a good price. I had found not one but two cheap mainboards on a used parts site, but someone was quicker than me and bought both, good for him, I'll wait for some opportunity to repair my drone.

the restrictions placed on drone flying in the UK are ever tightening, and flying place for big drones like the Q500 are diminishing due to all the red tape required.
I understand you very well, even in other countries the controls are getting tighter and the bureaucracy infinite, with increasingly harsh penalties... as if they had to fight who knows what gang of rioters.

Reactions: mickscull

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maahdevbook