Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

2.4 antennas

johnnyb57

Lost in Space
Approved Vendor
Reaction score
Would there be any noticeable gains on putting on longer antennas replacing the ones on the two antenna typhoon series ? Just curious, don't have any problems, just a thought ?

The length of an antenna depends on wave length/frequency to have optimal impedance matching.
What do you mean with longer antennas? Longer wire or special construction?
It's not easy to create antennas with optimal efficiency.

br HE
I noticed theres an after market antenna attachment for the earlier 480 where the antenna was either inside the lower cover, or sticking out ( not familiar with it) where they change to add on antennas on the lower cover by the legs ? This led me to ask that if I changed the short antenna wires on the H, and H+ to the longer antennas if there would be an connection improvement, or not ?

This led me to ask that if I changed the short antenna wires on the H, and H+ to the longer antennas if there would be an connection improvement, or not ?
The idea of this change was to move the antenna outside of the cover. This minimises the shielding and also moves the antenna further away from the electronics which might cause interferences.

What most would consider an antenna is actually not the antenna itself. On 2,4GHz systems the antenna is only about 3cm (little more than an inch) long. The rest is just a coaxial wire connecting the unshielded, recieving part to the circuit board or the connector. Only the very top of the antenna is receiving a signal. If you want to make the antenna longer, you will usually just use a longer wire but with an unshielded part of the same length as before.

Using a longer antenna on the remote will usually not result in any advantages. It will be better just not to use the cheapest ones availavble but some higher quality ones instat.

λ = C/f Where,

λ (Lambda) = Wavelength in meters

c = Speed of Light (299,792,458 m/s)

f = Frequency

This formula uses the speed of light in a vacuum, but the difference in air is so slight it is rarely changed.

For the 2.4GHz RC control signal the wavelength turns out to be 125mm so a full wave impedance matched antenna would be of that length (5 inches). On the aircraft you will find that a half wave antenna is employed as the exposed portion of the antenna is about 2.5 inches (62.5mm). These are the ones enclosed in the small plastic tubes at the pivot point of the landing gear.

For efficiency of wave propagation in an antenna the impedance matching is actually more important than whether a full wave, half wave, or quarter wave antenna is employed. This is why @jannislh brought up the quality of the antenna employed.

If you want to exercise your brain cells, delve into the field of antenna design. There are volumes of information on the web. Besides Wikipedia look through information put out by the ARRL (Amateur Radio Relay League).

Wow looks to be pretty deep stuff, seems alot of pilots are/were into ham radios / What struck my curiosity was a video from terrestrial on moving the early 480 2.4 antennas, and it was a longer one than the one now thats in the tube by the landing legs. Thank you everyone for sharing your knowledge, and insight

I believe the first TH’s had the antennas taped to the bottom shell. They then developed the tubes you see on them now to bring the antenna outside the shell.

I did buy the after market 2.8 Antenna's but after taking them off due to packing etc, I managed to break 1 at the elbow joint ... RATS , and have reverted back to oem that came with H Pro ?.

T

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval