Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Altitude question?

Reaction score
I recently bought the typhoon h and fly in mountainous regions and have a couple of questions that came to mind:
1. If I was at the top of a mountain and circling or flying around and the altitude of my drone was lower than I was standing (at the top of the mountain), would the motors power down thinking it was below 0 altitude? I usually fly above myself with either a level or downward camera angle, however I climbed this one particular mountain and I was standing above a really gorgeous rock face with caves below me. I was gonna to fly down and get a better look at the caves and rock formation when this came to mind.
2. I read the real sense requires at least 6 satellites on the transmitter to work. If you aquire more than 6 satellite initially and then lose visual with GPS satellites dropping below 6 (Trees or other obstacles), will real sense so working and become unstable? I was in a secluded camping area with an excellent open campsite, I had 10 satellites on transmitter and 16 on drone and felt quite Confident to take off. I flew straight up with angle mode to tree tops approx 40' or so with trees behind done, real sense pointed forward, I switched to smart mode as I was going to test certain functions with no problem. However when I flipped on the real sense switch the drone went crazy shaking back and forth and would have hit the trees behind it if I wasn't experienced, flipped it into angle mode and powered it straight up to clear obstacles. I brought it back down in angle mode of course, hand catches it safely, powered off and went to a more open area with hopes to test the real sense in the future. Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the real sense designed to follow someone in an area with trees? Or was I doing something wrong? I also calibrate every flight that is more than 10 miles from my last flight location, perform safety pre flight checks etc.
3. Do you have to turn on the ST16 prior to using the wizard to fly? Or can I just calibrate the wizard, turn on the wizard, and fly with it alone? I'm going to bind it to my Q500 4k first, to test it before I use it with my Typhoon h. After my initial test with the typhoon h with ST16 and real sense, I'm a little wary about relying on the wizard and real sense. It doesn't make much sense to me to try it in an open field, because I have seen many videos on its function, and it is prety straight forward. And I want to see how it would performs in areas I would use it. I probably won't use the wizard and ST16 together as a team mode, because I dont trust anyone enough with my equipment to be safe, smart enough to hand over the power with my bird or camera. I'm insured for myself to fly, not anyone else.

Any help or input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all.

Also Please don't troll me also about how DJI has better obstacle avoidance DJI nuts, because I already own several DJI products(P3,P4 pro, Inspire 2 v2). I know the good and BAD about DJI and Yuneec products, so I'm not a newbie that can be fooled.

I may not have followed your sequence precisely, but my experience is this: if in Angle Mode, get in an open area and hover 20' or so high. With 10 or more Sats on the ST16, turn on RS, then Smart Mode. Select Watch Me mode if you wish.

Now as you move with the ST16 or a Wizard, the craft will follow you, take video if switched ON. You can adjust the camera tilt, but leave other controls alone. RS will pilot the craft quiet well.

Do not start with too much distance between craft and controller, and do not take controller under dense foliage, or anywhere GPS reception might be a problem. With RS on, speed is limited to 10-12 MPH. If you increase altitude safely above obstructions, turn RS off, and max speed increases. (As to follow cars or boats)

Hope this helps a bit. Go slow till you get the hang of it.

would the motors power down thinking it was below 0 altitude?
I live in a very hilly part of England and I often findmyself flying at altitudes that are lower than where I'm standing. There's absolutely no problem with the H flying lower than you.

Keep in mind, though, that if you are flying so that the H is below you and at some distance there is a slightly increased risk of loosing signal since the antennas on the H are positioned for best performance when the H is higher than you.

Reactions: rdonson

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sierrarhodesss