Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Any Saturday in the morning...

Hi Mike

The camera is the cgo3 + from my typhoon h in particular this photo is extracted from a 2k resolution video in dng format.
Processed by photoshop and nik filters and basic settings.
Thank you very much for your comment.
Thanks for that info - I couldn't be bothered setting up for images with the CGO3+ so it's good to know you got a cracker image pulled from the footage. Did you capture the image in Premiere Pro or another method?
Thank you in advance.

Hi
To get good results from the camera it would be a good idea to know a little about the camera, it is not difficult and the final satisfaction will be greater, however as a basic idea I recommend watching this video from years ago of Mr Captain Drone but very clear in the use of the camera.

Regarding extracting the frame of the filmed video, any viewer that allows extracting a frame always at the highest possible quality with dng extension is valid. For best results use 2k or 4k video resolution, the quality of the photo will logically be better for the final adjustments.
I use MPC-HC a simple viewer with good options but from Premiere it can be done perfectly.
Cheers

Pulling frames from video can yield good results as seen by Pablo’s work, but the best for stills is to put the camera in photo mode. This allows the full 12MP capabilities of the camera to be utilized.

My captures from 4K video using Premiere are 3840 X 2160 pixels. DNG photos from my CGO3+ measure 3992 X 2992 pixels. The camera crops the images from the sensor to produce 4K video.

Pulling frames from video can yield good results as seen by Pablo’s work, but the best for stills is to put the camera in photo mode. This allows the full 12MP capabilities of the camera to be utilized.

My captures from 4K video using Premiere are 3840 X 2160 pixels. DNG photos from my CGO3+ measure 3992 X 2992 pixels. The camera crops the images from the sensor to produce 4K video.
Hi,
Excellent observation, there is no doubt that the best quality is in raw mode of the cgo3 +.
In fact my best photographs with the Q500 or the H are like this, however I discovered that extracting photographs from a 2k or 4k video allows me to have a one great variety of different pictures that otherwise only through photo mode it is much more difficult to find the right angle or position I am looking for.
I understand that when I extract a frame from the video, I lose quality, but most likely I won the probability of finding the ideal photo I want during a flight.

In short, you have to choose the best mode for each moment.

Thank you for your comments.

Hi,
Excellent observation, there is no doubt that the best quality is in raw mode of the cgo3 +.
In fact my best photographs with the Q500 or the H are like this, however I discovered that extracting photographs from a 2k or 4k video allows me to have a one great variety of different pictures that otherwise only through photo mode it is much more difficult to find the right angle or position I am looking for.
I understand that when I extract a frame from the video, I lose quality, but most likely I won the probability of finding the ideal photo I want during a flight.

In short, you have to choose the best mode for each moment.

Thank you for your comments.
I agree with why you do this. I do the same most of the time as I primarily shoot video. I was just pointing out for the benefit of others that if they wish to get the best for stills from the CGO3+ the camera needs to be in photo mode.

As a bit of information for those not aware of it. You can have the camera set to video mode and press the photo button on the ST16 and capture a still photo, but it will be the same as grabbing a frame from the video mode the camera is set for. It will not capture at the full photo mode setting.

Good work with your frame grabs. Would like to see some video edits you’ve done. The scenery is great!

I agree with why you do this. I do the same most of the time as I primarily shoot video. I was just pointing out for the benefit of others that if they wish to get the best for stills from the CGO3+ the camera needs to be in photo mode.

As a bit of information for those not aware of it. You can have the camera set to video mode and press the photo button on the ST16 and capture a still photo, but it will be the same as grabbing a frame from the video mode the camera is set for. It will not capture at the full photo mode setting.

Good work with your frame grabs. Would like to see some video edits you’ve done. The scenery is great!
Yes, of course all comments are welcome and always we can learn from the experience of others.

I hope to make a video mix of the last flights soon.

Thank you again.

Reactions: DoomMeister
... extracting photographs from a 2k or 4k video allows me to have a one great variety of different pictures that otherwise only through photo mode it is much more difficult to find the right angle or position I am looking for.
You can have the camera set to video mode and press the photo button on the ST16 and capture a still photo, but it will be the same as grabbing a frame from the video mode the camera is set for. It will not capture at the full photo mode setting.

I don't have the patience ATM to bother with flying just for photographs. I mean I'm flying so why not film - motion for motion.
Having said that yes I have occassionally just hovered and made a photograph, but more honesty here, I've not even stopped to look at them and edit them. One day ... perhaps not. I keep telling myself I'll just stop and photograph. I'm watching local drone pilots and will head out - one day - to locate their shots and attempt to mimic them to help me see what they're seeing. But for s&g I'll find the few pix I've made, edit them and them one's I've specifically made.
Yes I've also just shot off a few whilst in video mode BUT what I find most frustrating is the time it takes to move from one mode to the other and back again. Soooooo s l o w ......... that's normal isn't it the slowness of changing mode?

When I decide on the location that I want to go to. When I getthere I take a good look around to find the most interesting things that I would like to either photograph or video. I take the drone up and fly to those places that most interest me and if and when I find something I like I can setup for photo mode. What's the point in having a 20Mp camera shooting in raw and only using a clip from a video? If I want I can make a video with all the footage I got while flying about searching for the areas that appeals to me. But to each their own.
Mike

BUT what I find most frustrating is the time it takes to move from one mode to the other and back again. Soooooo s l o w ......... that's normal isn't it the slowness of changing mode?
You are correct! It is v e r y s l o w, and that is normal for the way the software, hardware, and firmware are interfaced. That lag really makes no sense and is most likely poor programming by the software engineers. I think it is likely just as fast to halt video, change to photo mode take the shots and then return to video.

You will probably find that stills are used more in real estate and commercial photography than by hobbyists. If you think of the aircraft as the tripod or dolly for the camera then the different modes make more sense. More times than not I go to fly and the camera just hitches a ride.

When I decide on the location that I want to go to. When I getthere I take a good look around to find the most interesting things that I would like to either photograph or video. I take the drone up and fly to those places that most interest me and if and when I find something I like I can setup for photo mode. What's the point in having a 20Mp camera shooting in raw and only using a clip from a video? If I want I can make a video with all the footage I got while flying about searching for the areas that appeals to me. But to each their own.
Mike
I like your thinking but I have three batteries - two OEM one of those ok, the other better and then the 8050. I do what you do - use the dud for a recon, then film with either of the next two options. BUT I'm still a newbie and wanting to cram as much as I can do in one car outing hence getting a bit of this and a bit of that instead of DEDICATING my time and one car outing to ONE location. It's my FOMO coming into play and not being a minimalist. It's a habit I need to break and when the weather clears I intend doing ONE location with three batteries. The beach headland first! And try to NOT feel guilty about driving an hour for three batteries worth of flight. Emmm I might even ask my daughter if I can charge the batteries at her place then go out again. She'd said yes before so she may say yes again. Yeap - that's what I'll do.

Last edited:
I like your thinking but I have three batteries - two OEM one of those ok, the other better and then the 8050. I do what you do - use the dud for a recon, then film with either of the next two options. BUT I'm still a newbie and wanting to cram as much as I can do in one car outing hence getting a bit of this and a bit of that instead of DEDICATING my time and one car outing to ONE location. It's my FOMO coming into play and not being a minimalist. It's a habit I need to break and when the weather clears I intend doing ONE location with three batteries. The beach headland first! And try to NOT feel guilty about driving an hour for three batteries worth of flight. Emmm I might even ask my daughter if I can charge the batteries at her place then go out again. She'd said yes before so she may say yes again. Yeap - that's what I'll do.
Sometimes I plan flights based on stages of a set. For example a reservoir that from a single flight even with 4 batteries the risk of losing it could be high taking off from the same place.
I plan for fun 2 or 3 visits in different locations with the idea of making a video with it best of each day, even knowing that to be a hobby it is an additional expense of a car, etc but the fun and the rewards are worth it.

Cheers

I mostly go to those places that I shot with my DSLR's so I know those places reasonably well. If I was recommended an aria or am just going out with the wife for a scenic drive I sometimes take a look at Google maps first. I got four batteries two OEM's and two Gifi Power 7900mAh. When I only had three batteries I would fly the first OEM batteries and the put one one of them on charge in the car before I flue the last batterie. Now with having four batteries make things more fluid.
Cheers.
Mike

Last edited:
When I only had three batteries I would fly the first OEM batteries and the put one one of them on charge in the car before I flue the last batterie. Now with having four batteries make things more fluid.
Cheers.
Mike
I have the this that can charge from the car battery. Emmm I suppose I should trial it before I head off on my next road trip. Next time I head to this beach (
) I'll use the three batteries - go to my daughter's charge them and go out again ... or to another location if I review the footage and think I have enough.
1603848271218.png

I have the this that can charge from the car battery. Emmm I suppose I should trial it before I head off on my next road trip. Next time I head to this beach (
) I'll use the three batteries - go to my daughter's charge them and go out again ... or to another location if I review the footage and think I have enough.
View attachment 23630
The OEM charger for your TH should have come with the 12V car adapter. Unless you already have an aftermarket charger you can use powered from the car.
B1857E5D-2036-44C4-8B28-B0118CB43D93.jpeg
Guess I should have read your post a little better. You do have an aftermarket that will work.

Last edited:
View attachment 23630

Really loved your video editing. It’s funny because I just made a post about wanting to start matching my music with the imagery. I like how you put each shot on the percussion/musical accents. Really cool. Not sure what that’s called though..lol.

Reactions: AussieCate
The OEM charger for your TH should have come with the 12V car adapter. Unless you already have an aftermarket charger you can use powered from the car.
View attachment 23631
Guess I should have read your post a little better. You do have an aftermarket that will work.
Yes I have that one too - so I suppose I can utilise that one while flying the other two - as long as no one takes off in my car - but the x4 hooks up to the car battery which I need to trial. Just a tad scared about blowing up the car. ?

Really loved your video editing. It’s funny because I just made a post about wanting to start matching my music with the imagery. I like how you put each shot on the percussion/musical accents. Really cool. Not sure what that’s called though..lol.
Thank you - it takes ages .... but I'm enjoying the outcome and that other's like tit only makes me want to go better. It's syncing the clip to the music.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jwclarc1