Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Anyone using the Q500 for commercial use?

Reaction score
I have a few smaller DJI drones (Spark, Air, Mini) and a Parrot Anafi. I have been flying as a hobbyist for about a year and a half am testing for my 107 Certificate next week. I am wondering whether my Anafi or Air are the right tools for commercial jobs because of their size, weight and range. Is anyone using a Q500 for commercial use and, if so, can you comment on how that's going?

Thanks in advance.

I have a few smaller DJI drones (Spark, Air, Mini) and a Parrot Anafi. I have been flying as a hobbyist for about a year and a half am testing for my 107 Certificate next week. I am wondering whether my Anafi or Air are the right tools for commercial jobs because of their size, weight and range. Is anyone using a Q500 for commercial use and, if so, can you comment on how that's going?

Thanks in advance.
You will find the Typhoon H and Typhoon H Plus to be better suited for commercial photography and videography.

I understand. I only ask about the Q500 because I have an opportunity to pick one up on Craigslist at a pretty reasonable price and I am reluctant to put my smaller drones at risk unnecessarily if the larger, beefier Q500 can do the job. For the time being, I am talking about building inspection photos and road construction site surveys for my current employer and maybe some stills for a local realtor's listings. I am not looking to spend a fortune to dip my toe in the water.

Do you think the Q500 can fit that purpose?

Thanks

All depends on your clients needs for quality of photos. You would be hard pressed to do road construction site surveys with the Q unless you have a G model with the gopro gimble and a modded camera. Even then its a lot more work then what should be a simple job.
I would say don't waist your money.

Reactions: NorWiscPilot
I understand. I only ask about the Q500 because I have an opportunity to pick one up on Craigslist at a pretty reasonable price and I am reluctant to put my smaller drones at risk unnecessarily if the larger, beefier Q500 can do the job. For the time being, I am talking about building inspection photos and road construction site surveys for my current employer and maybe some stills for a local realtor's listings. I am not looking to spend a fortune to dip my toe in the water.

Do you think the Q500 can fit that purpose?

Thanks
In addition to @Agustine ’s advise, I would say that you would be better served by the Typhoon H (H480). They can be found used and refurbished for very reasonable prices.

Reactions: NorWiscPilot
I use a Q500 4k for commercial use and have no problem with it.
Glad to hear that. Im getting ready to dip my toes into commercial use and currently have a Q500 4k. It is my intention to upgrade the drone eventually but I want to prove out the market with the Q500. If I stay with Yuneec, I would probably go with the H.

Glad to hear that. Im getting ready to dip my toes into commercial use and currently have a Q500 4k. It is my intention to upgrade the drone eventually but I want to prove out the market with the Q500. If I stay with Yuneec, I would probably go with the H.
I also use a Parrot Bebop 1 and Parrot Bebop 2 for commercial use along with my Q500 4K.

I have a Typhoon G (same as Q500 but with a gimbal for a GoPro), a 3DR Solo, a DJI Phantom 3 Professional, and an Autel Evo, and have used them all for commercial work. It just depends on the type of work. My Typhoon was my first, and I did video as a sub for other company's projects, part of a political commercial, misc content for various web productions, and several land sale videos with it and had good results. I think the GoPro Hero 4 Black camera it was carrying is a better camera, but I don't think it is that big of a difference.

The only problem with the Q500 I see is that a lot of commercial jobs out there are targeted towards DJI drones, and some will have standards based on the quality they want, and because they don't know Yuneec model comparisons, they will just list requirements for DJI models and you may be out of luck.

If you're just dipping your toes in the water, your Mavic Air probably has a slightly better camera then the Q500 4k, so you could try some doing work with that. And I think the range would be similar as well. Also, your Mavic Air will be compatible with 3rd party software which the Q500 is not.

If you haven't purchased a Q500 yet, I would also recommend shopping for used Phantom 3 Pro/Advanced, or early Phantom 4 models (with the smaller chip) which might be available for similar prices, and have better range and a lot more flexibility than the Typhoon. I think several others also mentioned the Typhoon H, which I believe is a better camera than the Q500 for not much more money.

But it all just depends on the type of commercial jobs you are doing.

If you are wanting to do site surveys though DJI is going to be tough to beat, because you can use 3rd party software for a complete solution from control app to processing. I think your Air is compatible with most of them. I don't think there is a way to program a Q500 for site surveys but I could be wrong.

I know a lot of realtors swear by the Mavic Air as well for portability and it's a good size for indoor videos as well, but a Q500 4k would be more than good enough for most realty pics/vids.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval