Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Autel Wins Patent Suit Against DJI

PatR

Premium Pilot
Reaction score
There appears to be a big change with who will be selling small multirotors in the U.S. all the Mavics may be forbidden.

Honestly, there's something VERY fishy about this patent, as well as the lawsuit. Autel Robotics was founded in 2014, yet the application for the patent occurred in 2013. Dig a little deeper, and you'll discover that the patent is NOT owned by Autel Robotics...it's actually owned by Draganfly Innovations (a Canadian company, with strong ties to US military, and law enforcement). This raises a VERY interesting question about how one company could file a patent infringement lawsuit against another company, using a patent owned by a third company (note: Draganfly Innovations has NO connection to Autel Robotics, its parent company (Autel Intelligent Technology Corp., Ltd), or DJI).

If you look at the drawings that accompany the patent application, you'll easily notice they look identical to the Draganflyer Commander & Draganflyer X4-P (Draganfly Innovations' only other current drone, the M600Pro, interestingly-enough, looks almost identical to the Yuneec Typhoon H). So, this raises the question of HOW Autel was able to not only file a patent infringement lawsuit against DJI, but how Autel was able to keep the lawsuit alive. As most people know, DJI has the great majority of the market, especially in the US. Is this just another example of the 'little' guy being afraid of the 'big' guy, and wanting to "take them down a notch, or three". If so, that doesn't answer the question of how the lawsuit survived, as Autel, obviously, has NO legal right to file a patent infringement lawsuit against another company when they neither own, nor have the rights to, the patent in question.

• Wow
Reactions: Mike Irish
Honestly, there's something VERY fishy about this patent, as well as the lawsuit. Autel Robotics was founded in 2014, yet the application for the patent occurred in 2013. Dig a little deeper, and you'll discover that the patent is NOT owned by Autel Robotics...it's actually owned by Draganfly Innovations (a Canadian company, with strong ties to US military, and law enforcement). This raises a VERY interesting question about how one company could file a patent infringement lawsuit against another company, using a patent owned by a third company (note: Draganfly Innovations has NO connection to Autel Robotics, its parent company (Autel Intelligent Technology Corp., Ltd), or DJI).

If you look at the drawings that accompany the patent application, you'll easily notice they look identical to the Draganflyer Commander & Draganflyer X4-P (Draganfly Innovations' only other current drone, the M600Pro, interestingly-enough, looks almost identical to the Yuneec Typhoon H). So, this raises the question of HOW Autel was able to not only file a patent infringement lawsuit against DJI, but how Autel was able to keep the lawsuit alive. As most people know, DJI has the great majority of the market, especially in the US. Is this just another example of the 'little' guy being afraid of the 'big' guy, and wanting to "take them down a notch, or three". If so, that doesn't answer the question of how the lawsuit survived, as Autel, obviously, has NO legal right to file a patent infringement lawsuit against another company when they neither own, nor have the rights to, the patent in question.
There may be a lot of blind business acquisition going on that makes Autel the parent company for the original patent holder and patents have been sold or had ownership transferred.

There may be a lot of blind business acquisition going on that makes Autel the parent company for the original patent holder and patents have been sold or had ownership transferred.
As I said, there is NO connection between the two companies. According to my patent search, Draganfly Innovations still owns the patent. Even if they had licensed use of the patent to Autel Robotics, Autel wouldn't have any legal right to sue DJI...that right would remain solely with Draganfly. I did some fairly thorough research, and Draganfly Innovations appears to still be its own company...no "parent company". Appears to be another example of the US courts being "blindsided".

I have great reservations believing a company as established as Steptoe would take a case to court for the wrong owner of a patent. That would be worse than egg on their face. They would never get another client.

Reactions: thoneter
I’m only guessing, but my guess had this suit argued over many days with multiple lawyers in some court. During that process patent ownership was probably well established.

On another note, I’m not sure that a patent awarded in one country is automatically extended to other countries. I know for certain that China frequently fails to recognize foreign patents and copyrights, and tries to patent over the top of pre-existing patents.

Reactions: thoneter

You must be a DJI guy why would Autel wast so much money on lawyers if what you say is true.

It also would not be the first time DJI employed unfair/illegal business practices in the U.S. Back about 2013 a federal judge blocked DJI imports into the U.S. after a terminated DJI U.S. employee filed suit in a federal court..

Reactions: Mike Irish
There's only 1 thing I can say with my limited experience with court. Like anything government related the possibility of common sense and fairness coming together in a court setting is almost next to none.

China is a disgrace and is a well known "bad actor" state, when it comes to things like truth, human rights, and theft... Never owned DJI, never will, I hope they are booted permanently from the US.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrichesin