Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Automatic raise of landing gear?

Reaction score
I was trying all my night lights on the H Plus this weekend during SAR but experienced multiple times that the landing gear was retracted upon return and not lowered as states by my landinggear switch? Does anyone know if this is a feature on the H Plus?

The problem is that the lights on the legs are pushed at an angle due to my Lumecubes and I fear that it will also strain the landing gear wires inside.

IMG_3817.jpg

I just read that again. I'm slightly confused. Are you saying the landing gear is up when it's supposed to be down?

The landing gear mechanism is designed with sort of an over-center lock at both the extended, and retracted ends. This means as the worm drove pushes the yoke to one end it slides over a portion of the mechanism so as to not put too much of the flight or landing loads on the drive motor. If those Lume Cubes are in any way adding extra weight to the gear when retracted it will make it harder for the drive motor to pull the yoke out of the locked position - hence when you flip the switch they stay up and locked.

The landing gear can be removed with two simple screws to get it off the body then there are five screws to split the case. Once apart you can see the components. I have on a few occasions had to remove and clean and lubricate my gear as I sometimes fly in dusty conditions. You may want to check that first. If it is still hanging on you, remove the lights and see if it works or not, if it works you will need to mount your lights differently so as not to over weigh the gear drive.

P.S. It is hard to see your set up in that photo due to the light glare, got a picture during daylight?

Last edited:
Ok, I can try to explain it again ;)

I takeoff with landing gear down (obviously) and do NOT flip the switch to raise them. I expect the legs to stay down for maximum visibilty of my lights mounted onto the struts themselves. One numerous occasitions the landinggear would be up when returning back to takeoff point and my switch was still in the “down” position. So for some reason the drone has automatically raises the landinggear mid-flight. I dont know if this could be in any way connected to the sporadic “angle mode” messages I saw during my flights, primarily furthest away and when videofeed got seriously choppy.

The landing gear mechanism is designed with sort of an over-center lock at both the extended, and retracted ends. This means as the worm drove pushes the yoke to one end it slides over a portion of the mechanism so as to not put too much of the flight or landing loads on the drive motor. If those Lume Cubes are in any way adding extra weight to the gear when retracted it will make it harder for the drive motor to pull the yoke out of the locked position - hence when you flip the switch they stay up and locked.

The landing gear can be removed with two simple screws to get it off the body then there are five screws to split the case. Once apart you can see the components. I have on a few occasions had to remove and clean and lubricate my gear as I sometimes fly in dusty conditions. You may want to check that first. If it is still hanging on you, remove the lights and see if it works or not, if it works you will need to mount your lights differently so as not to over weigh the gear drive.

P.S. It is hard to see your set up in that photo due to the light glare, got a picture during daylight?

Here is a photo of the lights mounted on the struts but without the Lumecube mount as I had to heavily modify it for H Plus use.

IMG_3804.jpg

Ah . . . okay, I see what you are saying now. I have only on one occasion had my gear retract when not initiated via the retract switch - and that was during a compass calibration.

I am still curious to know if it does this only when the lights are attached to the gear legs in that position? I would try to first establish if it is due to the lights or if it is something in the software. You may even try a test with the lights mounted but turned off.

Nice setup. You mention SAR work, are you with a firefighting service or a civilian contractor?

Civilian but part of a Missing People support unit that can provide drone support when needed. Unfortunately its primarily after the Police has exhausted their search efforts so no need to invest in E10T just yet.

Reactions: Ty Pilot

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rank Li