Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Battery Charging, Discharging, and Storage Questions

Is a Hitec multi charger X4 and for Lipo it can go as high as 6A
9447ccc0241ce7d3b339a2467df14da2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah, abinder is correct. I have a ThunderPower TP610C-ACDC and can set the amps up to 5.4 for 1C or higher (not that I would) but because the TP610C when using AC is limited to 60W, it gets a voltage error after the charge starts and the amps begin to climb. 5.4A, 1C on for a 5400mAh battery needs a minimum of 91w. I can't even do 0.8C which would require 73w for a 5400mAh battery with my charger unless I switch to a 12v DC source, then I can do 80w. I'm limited to 0.5C at 2.7A or 45w. Don't try to charge the TH batteries above 1C or you will decrease the number of charge/discharge cycles significantly. The TH charger is 0.5C for a reason.

Greg

Reactions: abinder and Cesar
It has been pretty well checked out on other threads that the Yuneec battery is actually closer to 6200 Mah, NOT the 5400 as stated on the label. I charge mine at 6 amps and they never even get slightly warm.
I use a Hitec X2 dual charger (AC/DC) it will charge 2 batteries at once at 3 amps each if plugged into AC. I can also charge 2 batteries at once using a DC power supply at 6 Amps. I use temperature probes on both ports that will turn off the charging if the battery temperature climbs 3 degrees.
You will need a couple of battery adapters like the ones Andy makes that can be found here:
Typhoon H
Almost any hobby store carries the Hitec charger, here is an example:
Hitec X2 AC Plus 2 Port AC/DC Multi-Charger
I do not work for tower hobbies.
Happy flying.

Reactions: Cesar
I just bought the Turnigy Reaktor QuadKore 1200W charger.

Attachments

• 2016-10-13 09.34.17.jpg
    709.6 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Just because the display says 6 amps, that doesn't mean that it will charge a 4s battery at 6 amps.

Which X4 is it ?

The X4 AC plus 4 port only charges at 50 watts per port. You can't even charge a 4s battery at 5 amps on the ports in that charger.

I just bought the Turnigy Reaktor QuadKore 1200W charger.

Be careful with that charger and check to make sure each port works. Online, some people are reporting some of the Turnigy chargers have ports that don't work.

Yes, I saw those reviews too before I bought it.
Be careful with that charger and check to make sure each port works. Online, some people are reporting some of the Turnigy chargers have ports that don't work.

Yes, I read the reviews before I purchased it. I saw that some people had bad ports out of the box or they fail soon after. But it's has a 1 year warranty I'll send it back if fails.
I really didn't need a new charger. I have the iCharger 208B and it works great for my Q500 batteries. I have parallel cables so I can charge or storage the Q500 batteries at the same time. But Yuneec changed the design for the connector on the H batteries. I don't know if they wanted their own proprietary connector but nobody makes a parallel charge cable for it yet. The charge cable for the H are $25.00 each. I didn't want to cut them up and try to make my own parallel cable and I didn't want to wait to charge the batteries one at a time. I wanted a charger that would handle any of my future battery needs and not have to worry about upgrading again.That's why I bought the 1200W QuadKore charger. I just hope it lasts.

An issue I'm having is the battery appears to be full on the ST-16, but then I have it in the air for one minute and it's telling me to land immediately and change batteries. That has happened more than once. It's just time consuming.

That's OK. 3.8 times 4 cells is 15.2 volts, if my pea-brain is right. Probably anything from 14.6 to 15.2 will work.
The charger I use is hard coded to 3.85 per cell. Is that anything to be worried about if I am doing long term (2 months plus) storage?

Nevermind. Just looked up 2 posts and saw the chart. Downloaded and saved for future reference.

Coffee, more coffee before posting!

Last edited:
Check out my video, I hope it helps!

Gives a complete rundown of alternate charging options and what voltages to use.
He charges at 4A ... Is it really safer and better to charge at 4A instead of 5.4A or 6A ? The man on video only says it is because of experience. In other words, what do we all use. I use:
Normal Charge
5.4A

He charges at 4A ... Is it really safer and better to charge at 4A instead of 5.4A or 6A ? The man on video only says it is because of experience. In other words, what do we all use. I use:
Normal Charge
5.4A

Using 4 A gets me a charge in 1 hour. If you are comfortable going to 5.4 there's no harm in that at all.

I believe that is the recommended storage, 14.8 volts, typically written on the 4S batteries.
1. 14.8V Storage As long as you like!
2. Yes, but only if not being used more than 7-10 days( Buy an Rapid Charger, that has a discharge function, like a HiTec 2)
3.HiTec 2 or 4
4.Yes, Carolina Dronz and others have them

ok ok, I'll admit i've screwed up. I didn't fly for a almost 2 months. I tried just using the stock charger to charge the battery then drain it down to what I wanted for a storage level but it seems I didn't do porperly.....just flew today, "fully charged" up. was lucky to get 13mins on one and 10 mins on the other. Is there a way to salvage the batteries or are they pooched now?

1. 14.8V Storage As long as you like!
2. Yes, but only if not being used more than 7-10 days( Buy an Rapid Charger, that has a discharge function, like a HiTec 2)
3.HiTec 2 or 4
4.Yes, Carolina Dronz and others have them

If I've improperly stored batteries,(because I'm a dummy) would balancing them with the Hitec set them back to normal?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jesster0430