Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Can Q500 Fly without the camera attached?

Reaction score
Hello, I am new to this board and new to flying something that hasn't been an "under $100 POS."
Just because I paid a lot more for the Q500 than other toys, didn't mean I wouldn't have the same results as the others.... Crashed and killed.

I was flying my Q500 today and the wind was probably at or near 15mph. It flew decently but, it was moving around too much so, I started to bring it down. At about 20 feet, a gust of wind took it and whipped it into a pine tree, breaking two propellers before it fell down onto the pavement, with the camera hitting first. A small piece broke off by a motor on the arm but, that was it.

I replaced the propellers and reattached the camera but, the housing was cracked in several places and the mini SD card had been ejected. I found the card but, the clips that hold the card in place are damaged and it won't stay in place. When I took the camera off and turned the transmitter and drone on, only the GPS wouldn't sync. It would not let me start the props and there is my question....

Can the drone be flown without the camera attached to it? My guess is "no" but, you guys would know better than me.

Thanks

Reactions: Russell Smith
Hello, I am new to this board and new to flying something that hasn't been an "under $100 POS."
Just because I paid a lot more for the Q500 than other toys, didn't mean I wouldn't have the same results as the others.... Crashed and killed.

I was flying my Q500 today and the wind was probably at or near 15mph. It flew decently but, it was moving around too much so, I started to bring it down. At about 20 feet, a gust of wind took it and whipped it into a pine tree, breaking two propellers before it fell down onto the pavement, with the camera hitting first. A small piece broke off by a motor on the arm but, that was it.

I replaced the propellers and reattached the camera but, the housing was cracked in several places and the mini SD card had been ejected. I found the card but, the clips that hold the card in place are damaged and it won't stay in place. When I took the camera off and turned the transmitter and drone on, only the GPS wouldn't sync. It would not let me start the props and there is my question....

Can the drone be flown without the camera attached to it? My guess is "no" but, you guys would know better than me.

Thanks
Yes I've got a extra Q 500 That use for testing, repairs etc. that I fly all the time without a camera. No Problem at all.

Reactions: JimInTexas
Download the GUI to your computer and use it to check the Q for any faults. Then you will need to do an accelerometer and compass calibration. Those should always be down after a crash.
The reason the motors won't arm is because the GPS wasn't locked in.

Yes I've got a extra Q 500 That use for testing, repairs etc. that I fly all the time without a camera. No Problem at all.
Would I be correct to assume the crash damaged a component on the drone itself since I can't get the props to start or the GPS to sync?

If not, what do I need to do to get it to fly without the camera attached to it?

Thanks

Yes, you can fly the Q500 without the camera. Just disconnect it and take it off. The reason you can't start the motors in GPS mode, sounds like the GPS has been damaged in the crash. You could try disabling the GPS using the ST10 but remember you will then have no RTH and the Q500 will drift around with any wind. On the bright side, the Q500 turns into a bit of an animal with the GPS disengaged! Very fast and reacts to every tiny input on the sticks.

Longer term (as mentioned before) you need to download the GUI (Graphical User Interface) from Yuneec to your computer. Connect your Q500 to your computer (it's a bit fiddly) and perform all the calibrations. It will also tell you in the GUI what state your GPS is in.

Great advice.... All of you! Thank you.
I will get after that in the morning and let you know.

Thanks
Yes it will. You can even mount 3rd party gumball and use other cameras.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atas77my