Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

CGO3+ resolutions & playback issues

Reaction score
What resolution are people generally using with the CGO3+?

I was recording in 4k but have playback issues when viewing on my laptop using VLC media player.

Tried 1080p and plays back fine.
My laptop has following specs:

Microprocessor
2.30 GHz 3rd generation Intel Core i7-3610QM Processor with Turbo Boost Technology up to 3.30 GHz

Memory
8GB DDR3 SDRAM (2 DIMM)

Video Graphics
Intel HD graphics 4000 with up to 1696MB total graphics memory

Im guessing the graphics card cant handle 4k?

Thanks.

There aren't many laptops that can play back and edit 4K footage, and this one is lacking for that purpose in CPU, Graphics and RAM departments.
You will get a much nicer / usable result if you record in 4K on the CGO3+, but then transcode down to 1080P afterwards, using Laplacian sharpening. This gives you 4k-like detail in a much smaller file size and is eminently suitable for editing and final output on a slightly lesser computer. You can do this in free program Handbrake. Here are the settings I use for example...

HB3.JPG

HB4.JPG

Hope that helps...

Last edited:
What resolution are people generally using with the CGO3+?

I was recording in 4k but have playback issues when viewing on my laptop using VLC media player.

It is always recommended to shoot at the highest resolution your camera can produce. That way, in the future when you have the equipment to handle 4K files, you already have them... no need to go and re-shoot. There are many video converter programs out there, including Handbrake that can downsize your original 4K mp4.

Reactions: hueman
I’ll come at it from a different direction. It makes no sense at all to buy a 4k camera if there is a lack of willingness to upgrade computer equipment and processing programs to have equal capability. Why buy color movies when you can only watch them in black and white, or use a 900HP engine at the drag strip while running 7" wide street tires?

Last edited:
I’ll come at it from a different direction. It makes no sense at all to buy a 4k camera if there is a lack of willingness to upgrade computer equipment and processing programs to have equal capability. Why buy color movies when you can only watch them in black and white, or use a 900HP engine at the drag strip while running 7" wide street tires?

No lack of willingness at all mate but there might be a lack of finances!
Having to buy extra batteries and in particular an extra, better charger because the provided one is pretty much useless, there's not much left for new computer equipment just yet!
I was merely looking for some advice which i glady received from the posts above yours.
Thanks all the same, your "different direction " may apply to others who read this :)

The reason I posted that is because of the multitude of posts from users relating their “problems” with viewing 4k video files. Unlike you they immediately blame the camera, the ST-16, or some other part of an H without any thought their play back equipment could be at fault, which the majority of the time is the problem. From there they start looking for processing programs that provide for down grading video files for processing that will be “upgraded” later.

The true “problem” with 4k, or even 1080 video playback or video downloads if using old equipment or slow internet connections is a lack of understanding. There is often the situation where people think they can buy a UHD camera drone and without further investing in or understanding their other equipment will instantly produce great videos for them to show to the world. When that doesn’t work they blame the drone. Similar occurs when they damage flight batteries early in their life cycle.

Neither photography or drone operations are things that guarantee a neophyte great results the moment they pick up the equipment. Both demand the users develop knowledge and skills relative to the equipment being used, which includes the peripheral equipment employed to enable use of the primary tools. This is critically important with photography, where drone users demonstrate lack of knowledge by asking questions like which ND or CP filter they should buy, or why DNG photos are “flat” in color while JPG’s are more brilliant but low in resolution.

Skills are developed with practice but knowledge can be obtained long before the purchase of equipment. If people would invest some time and effort in learning before buying they would save themselves a lot of frustration, and for some a lot of money. Photography has never been easy or cheap and tossing drones and UHD video files into the ring increases the level of difficulty and expense. Obtaining an education relative to both photography and drones prior to buying equipment goes a long way towards reducing frustration and expense.

Last edited:
Reactions: hueman
I remember when the D810 and then D850 came out, shook up and exposed people's limited PC specs, it was a big step up from 12 or 24 mp.

I have an older MacBook Pro that I need to replace. One trick I’ve found that helps with the playback issues is to shrink that window down, to 1/3, 1/4 or even smaller of the screen real estate. When it’s struggling to playback full screen, it’ll work just fine, or at least ALOT better when it’s only dealing with a smaller window. Of course it doesn’t solve the issue of capability, but it makes a difference in my experience, until I can get new hardware.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
simsone