Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Chased by a Hawk 360 photos

Reaction score
This was from an H, but not with H equipment (or at least camera). About 9 months ago I wanted to toy with the idea of taking 360 photos and videos. I have a "spare" H that literally had never been flown and was going to use that for this project. I had a Gear 360 and bought an extra mounting plate for the H and made a frankenmount so I could attach the camera. It wasn't pretty and it wouldn't be anything like gimbal stabilized, but just wanted to try it.

First time I went out to do it I forgot to attach the camera so I didn't do it. I flew the bird just to make sure it wouldn't be a problem flying blind, but no pictures or video. Second time I went out I forgot props. At that point I just forgot about it.

A few months later I bought a better 360 camera, a Theta V for a project I was doing for a house build. Fast forward a few more months until this weekend. Weather was nice (if a bit windy) and I had no "work" to do drone wise so I figured I would try it out.

First time I went out I got some good pictures, but forgot to take the landing gear up (at this point I'm feeling stupid) and video didn't start for some reason. The camera is controlled by a phone wifi connection so you have to bring the drone back down, reconnect and change settings and it didn't work.

At this point I'm really ready to get this done as a proof of concept. I go up a second time, start video, take a few minutes of video flying at about 150 feet. Bring the bird back down, set it to take a picture on a 5 second interval. Take it back up. At this point I see a hawk circling. Come back down. Hawk disappears. Go back up. Hawk comes back, more aggressively circling. Back down. Hawk gone. Back up. Hawk back. Land.

Looked at the pictures. Way better than I thought. Looked at the video in VR (HTC Vive). Not balanced, some shudder, but wow! I don't have issues with VR and vertigo, but it was very intense and the sense of motion was incredible.

Attached is a single pic, but you can see the hawk that I was referencing.

Note: the pictures had to have the metadata edited to view in VR because they were upside down. The video did not, which I thought was odd.

Attachments

• R0010235.JPG
    R0010235.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 75
Reactions: ChuckBridges

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval