Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Cheap FPV Thrills Thanks to the Breeze

Reaction score
I did a quick search and didn't see anything posted here or on other forums. I was looking for a quick and dirty fpv app to use with my phone and some cheap VR goggles.

I found that the Breeze app will work with the CGO3+ camera (possibly others?) and split the view for VR goggles. Don't know if I'd fly with it, I’ll leave that up to more experienced pilots, but it's a nice ride.

No tips needed. It finds the cam on its own very quickly. Hardest part is getting through the disclaimers to get to the FPV screen.

Seems it's range limitations make FPV pretty limited or am I missing something?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

but the latency on CGO3+ is to big for doing FPV-flight. Maybe if you are a Jedi you can have a perfect flight :)

Attachments

• IMG_5690.PNG
    IMG_5690.PNG
    29.8 KB · Views: 20
but the latency on CGO3+ is to big for doing FPV-flight. Maybe if you are a Jedi you can have a perfect flight :)

Same with the H which is why I don't understand that there is even FPV sold by Yuneec for any of their camera drones. I can handle the lag on the st 16 because I'm used to it's behavior but I can't imagine that being my only view in my sight with goggles.

Reactions: eric bee
A couple of years ago Yuneec USA had the best tech guy working for them. His name is Brad Mendrick. He ended up quiting Yuneec and opening his own shop for repairs called Independent Copter Works. He told me the lag is enough on any yuneec product that if your doing FPV with goggles on you will here the crash before you see it on your display. :)

Reactions: eric bee
A couple of years ago Yuneec USA had the best tech guy working for them. His name is Brad Mendrick. He ended up quiting Yuneec and opening his own shop for repairs called Independent Copter Works. He told me the lag is enough on any yuneec product that if your doing FPV with goggles on you will here the crash before you see it on your display. :)

Perhaps things have improved since then. Captain Drone's video shows .32 seconds latency. I suppose another video showing the latency through the Skyview goggles would be in order to see if there is additional latency through the HDMI connection.

This latency is fine for aerial photography. You are not going to be using the Typhoon H for FPV racing.

I think some users are seeing different results, though it's not clear why. It seems that the camera is affected by the SD-card you're using, as well as the firmware version (and country) you're using it in. Certainly the latency has never been bad for me, and Captain Drone shows good results. Its frustrating for others not to have the same experience.

Perhaps things have improved since then. Captain Drone's video shows .32 seconds latency. I suppose another video showing the latency through the Skyview goggles would be in order to see if there is additional latency through the HDMI connection.

So that's 320 ms right? In audio that's an echo and would be impossible to work with. Sitting at launch with goggles on, you'd hear it take off then see it go on the goggles. FPV flying is already tricky as you do have to ignore many senses warning you of danger like directional hearing. I've logged 1000s of hours on goggles and have cameras and transmitters on drones and have all versions of Fat Shark goggles and while I'm not at the level of my racing friends, I feel pretty confident in my goggle skills. I can assure you that without a spotter, flying solo FPV on the H is a recipe for a crash. Plus proprietary goggles are useless to a lot of us.

I'm thinking after warranty, I'll tap the video feed and a power feed from H and install a sweet little 600 mw transmitter and little camera on the nose of the H for a pilot to FPV while second runs camera. The price of the lowest H right now is great and I'd get parts, second camera to modify lens, and extra ST to create reliable team mode (anyone want an untouched wizard?) and a back up bird for training or multi camera shoots.

I will say that adding an actual radio video link would give me more range as VLOS becomes a non factor. I can't imagine what would happen with collision avoidance and FPV flying. I also think since you are often not in charge of the sticks with the H that covering your eyes to not see any screen is bad. And yes I know you can get OSD with the HDMI out but again, the latency? I'll pick a day and get my intern and plug up a pair of fat shark via the HDMI and try it somewhere safe where I know the ground terrain by heart and report back. If nothing else, giving my assistant goggles to see the shot closer may be something?

From experience, my first film gig with the whole Chroma set up, I went out with two monitors and 3 goggles as immersion RC transmission does not care how many receivers there are. As soon as I got over the talent the director starts yelling "shadow" because he can see everything with goggles on and I'm too busy flying and fighting the wind I should never have launched in. It ended badly. I learned a lot. I got the shot a year later in a better location with the H on first attempt.

Reactions: Eagle's Eye Video
I'm thinking after warranty, I'll tap the video feed and a power feed from H and install a sweet little 600 mw transmitter and little camera on the nose of the H for a pilot to FPV while second runs camera. The price of the lowest H right now is great and I'd get parts, second camera to modify lens, and extra ST to create reliable team mode (anyone want an untouched wizard?) and a back up bird for training or multi camera shoots.

Exact reasons I bought a second rig a week ago... plus a second charger so you can can charge 2 batteries at once,
and both ST16s. Total battery count at 5... 3-4 for video, 1 for photos. I'll PM you on the nose camera.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dwight.a.atkinson