Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

DIY fix or send to Yuneec

Reaction score
So, I finally recovered my downed/stuck drone from the tree after it fell off the tree and my neighbor finding the drone, only problem is it was on the tree for literally a month, -so obviously the battery is shot - but I tried charging it last night hoping that it would but of course it didn't. So I tried to call Yuneec and it was funny because the estimated wait time on the phone was 2 hrs (so of course I hang up). I figured if I can't talk to someone on the phone, I figured the turn around time for repair is probably going to be a long time and I have been reading a lot of topics stating their turn around time is about an average of 8 wks. Now, I can wait this long since I have an Autel XSP I can fly but my question is: Should I just do a DIY fix (camera and all) or send it to Yuneec for them to fix it. I figured it will be a few hundred dollars and the only reason I want to send it back is hoping that it be repaired under warranty if they found it to be an electronic problem since I did lose connection before it landed on the tree.

So, I finally recovered my downed/stuck drone from the tree after it fell off the tree and my neighbor finding the drone, only problem is it was on the tree for literally a month, -so obviously the battery is shot - but I tried charging it last night hoping that it would but of course it didn't. So I tried to call Yuneec and it was funny because the estimated wait time on the phone was 2 hrs (so of course I hang up). I figured if I can't talk to someone on the phone, I figured the turn around time for repair is probably going to be a long time and I have been reading a lot of topics stating their turn around time is about an average of 8 wks. Now, I can wait this long since I have an Autel XSP I can fly but my question is: Should I just do a DIY fix (camera and all) or send it to Yuneec for them to fix it. I figured it will be a few hundred dollars and the only reason I want to send it back is hoping that it be repaired under warranty if they found it to be an electronic problem since I did lose connection before it landed on the tree.
You can probably fix the Q but the camera could be a problem depending on what is wrong with it. Is the camera shell still intact?
Have you opened the shell on the Q?

You can probably fix the Q but the camera could be a problem depending on what is wrong with it. Is the camera shell still intact?
Have you opened the shell on the Q?
I have not opened the shell on the drone, however there is a small crack on the bottom shell, and a piece of plastic piece came out of the drone because I heard a rattling sound inside the drone when you shake it, the camera shell is in one piece however the protective lens cover to the actual lens is broke which I have the extra lens cover that came with the drone when I bought it new. I didn't want to open the shell (both drone and camera) unless i'm ready to DIY repair it.

I have not opened the shell on the drone, however there is a small crack on the bottom shell, and a piece of plastic piece came out of the drone because I heard a rattling sound inside the drone when you shake it, the camera shell is in one piece however the protective lens cover to the actual lens is broke which I have the extra lens cover that came with the drone when I bought it new. I didn't want to open the shell (both drone and camera) unless i'm ready to DIY repair it.
I suggest you remove the props, connect the white USB cable that came with the Q. The connection is inside the battery compartment on the right side. Then install a battery, turn it on and connect it to your computer. Then open the GUI which will run tests on the system and also allow you to test each motor.

I suggest you remove the props, connect the white USB cable that came with the Q. The connection is inside the battery compartment on the right side. Then install a battery, turn it on and connect it to your computer. Then open the GUI which will run tests on the system and also allow you to test each motor.
I will have to buy a new battery, my battery is shot since it was not charged for about 1 month since it was on the tree. Does anyone here have any experience with Vertigo Drones - they are a Yuneec reseller and supposedly supported by Yuneec to repair their drones, with a turn around time of roughly 1 week. They also provide free shipping to their shop and shipping back.

I will have to buy a new battery, my battery is shot since it was not charged for about 1 month since it was on the tree. Does anyone here have any experience with Vertigo Drones - they are a Yuneec reseller and supposedly supported by Yuneec to repair their drones, with a turn around time of roughly 1 week. They also provide free shipping to their shop and shipping back.
That is where I buy most of my repair parts. Seems like a good outfit and they advertise on this forum.

That is where I buy most of my repair parts. Seems like a good outfit and they advertise on this forum.
Thanks Steve. So now it comes down to the actual cost of repair, I'm not sure the total damage if any, if it's just the shells or maybe more such as electronic boards that are in the camera and drone, since it's been up in the tree for a while, it's been rained on a few times. So it may have a lot of issues going on that the cost of the repair may match a whole brand new unit. This is why I am contemplating on doing the work myself since I'll save myself the cost of labor. I know I keep going back and forth because there are pros and cons - of course sending it for repair is much better in many cases because of return to brand new in terms of functionality - but cost is the enemy, doing DIY is most cost effective but I'm no electronics engineer but I have a good understanding; even so doing DIY may run the risk of problems with full functionality of the drone.

doing DIY may run the risk of problems with full functionality
Doing it yourself is a great learning experience and gives a person more confidence in ownership. Replacing components inside the shell is not difficult. The hardest task is changing the shell becauseyou must unsolder the 4 ESC's and then solder them back in place. However, unless there is significant structural damage, replacement probably isn't necessary. To open it up you need some long shaft hex wrenches: 1.5mm, 2.0mm and 2.5mm. I think there are 63 screws to remove. There are several Youtube videos on the process.
Most of the components are reasonably priced with the exception on the main board. That is $140 and if it's bad I would simply look for a used aircraft and save mine for spare parts.
I recommend finding a battery, new, used or borrowed, and connecting the Q to the GUI so you can assess the functionality of all the components. Then you will have a better idea of where you stand.

Here is another possibility. I see these frequently on eBay. This one looks to be in perfect condition except for the cracked camera case.
*AS-IS* Yuneec Typhoon Q500 4K Quadcopter Drone + CGO3 Camera + Remote | eBay
After thinking it over within the last few days, I have made my decision. I will hold off on fixing it at the moment, only because I just bought an Autel XSP a few days after I lost my Q500, I didn't think I was gonna get it back. So really, I just spent a good amount of money in July ($799 for the Autel, new), plus I had to send my XSP for repairs (yes I crashed it on the roof of my house by accident and spent $143 to fix it). so I will probably fix it myself by buying parts one at a time until I get her flying again. In the mean time, I am going to enjoy using my XSP. I guess I got excited when I finally retrieved the Q500 that I was not thinking about the cost. So she will be broken for the time being. Thank you for all the suggestions. I will be back to ask for more when the time comes to repair her.

Steve, I am glad you mentioned Vertigo for repairs. I crashed my Q500 4k and was ready to send it to yuneec,but got tired of waiting hours on hold on the phone,so hooked up with Vertigo, sent drone to them and they say that my ESC failed on one motor, something that should be covered by Yuneec's warrantee. The crux of the story is that ,even Vertigo is an authorised repair shop for Yuneec, it isn't allowed to do warrantee work for the customer. I pay the full bill. Bummer. Can you do anything for me?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TroyBoy