Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

DroneBase and Panoramas

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Curious if anyone has ever registered as a pilot on DroneBase, accepted a pano mission and then uploaded their TH created panorama still images.

I ask because I have. The first one was stitched and accepted. However the next 3 were not able to be stitched by DroneBase's software and were rejected. I, however have had no problem stitching the same images using PTGui.

Weird. Could it be this DJI funded company is simply not accepting images created from a nonDJI product?

Curious on the forum's thoughts.

-ZenLife

Last edited:
Hey guys,

Curious if anyone has ever registered as a pilot on DroneBase, accepted a pano mission and then uploaded their TH created panorama still images.

I ask because I have. The first one was stitched and accepted. However the next 3 were not able to be stitched by DroneBase's software and were rejected. I, however have had no problem stitching the same images using PTGui.

Weird. Could it be this DJI funded company is simply not accepting images created from a nonDJI product?

Curious on the forum's thoughts.

-ZenLife
It's possible since DJI hates Yuneec. When you uploaded the files did you change the names first? You might try to rename them something like DJI00004.jpg to see if that works.

It's possible since DJI hates Yuneec. When you uploaded the files did you change the names first? You might try to rename them something like DJI00004.jpg to see if that works.
haha...great point.

I did think that, and yes I did rename them. Not to DJI0000X.jpg but to the house address.xxx.jpg.

I did NOT however remove any EXIF data. So that would give it away.
upload_2017-2-2_16-21-42.png

Reactions: Steve Carr
I know certain fan's would do anything DJI, Apple, Windows etc. But really? the company has a rivalry between DJI?
Fans of a product are very loyal and defensive to that product but wouldn't waste their time seeking out and bashing a competitor. However, DJI has a history of paying trolls to bash Yuneec on Youtube, forums and fake news. They paid people to do phoney reviews on Youtube and online "Drone News". Yuneec seems to have ignored it all and has kept working on improvements. The rivalry is one-way.

I am registered and I tried submitting panoramas. It fails horribly. Their workflows and apps are custom tailored to DJI Phantom Cameras I believe. ICE did a great job in under a minute while their's botched up after working on it for a few hours. I spoke with their technical team and they agreed to the fact that they are meant for Phantoms. Also they pay about $25/submission assuming that the client buys them. That price point is not work it. If you do get client missions, the pay is better but still does not justify the effort.
Putting it simply, its hiring your cousin to shoot your kids birthday just because he owns a DSLR and underpaying him.

Fans of a product are very loyal and defensive to that product but wouldn't waste their time seeking out and bashing a competitor. DJI has a history of paying trolls to bash Yuneec on Youtube, forums and fake news. They paid people to do phoney reviews on Youtube and online "Drone News". Yuneec seems to have ignored it all and has kept working on improvements. The rivalry is one-way.

That is one way to try and bash your competitor out of the industry. Don't get me wrong I respect DJI and its products.
However as a consumer I kinda feel like its a monopoly.
For Production houses it is either 'build your own, hire a uav to custom build one, or just buy/rent a DJI'; does not feel right.

I am registered and I tried submitting panoramas. It fails horribly. Their workflows and apps are custom tailored to DJI Phantom Cameras I believe. ICE did a great job in under a minute while their's botched up after working on it for a few hours. I spoke with their technical team and they agreed to the fact that they are meant for Phantoms. Also they pay about $25/submission assuming that the client buys them. That price point is not work it. If you do get client missions, the pay is better but still does not justify the effort.
Putting it simply, its hiring your cousin to shoot your kids birthday just because he owns a DSLR and underpaying him.
Agree. They definitely don't utilized very good stitching software and agree even more the compensation is terrible. Not worth it at all. Thanks for your thoughts. Appreciated.

I gave it a shot yesterday and the first one got accepted the next two regected yet i stiched them just fine. I resubmitted it again with the same photos lets see how many resubmisions it takes.

I'm in same boat.
2 done both rejected. But can stitch myself.
Of course they send a generic rejection letter say the drone moved or not enough shots. Watch video.....
Doing a few more and will change file name.

I'm in same boat.
2 done both rejected. But can stitch myself.
Of course they send a generic rejection letter say the drone moved or not enough shots. Watch video.....
Doing a few more and will change file name.

They say they need 12 shots of the horizin and 12 of 45 degree tilt of the camera plus the down shot with a locked exposure to maintain consistency.

The automatic panarama mode only shoots like 18 total.

Ok think I figured it out the pano Instructions are different from what they just told me in a rejection email.
Website says 12 at level
12 at 45
And 1 stright down

Well the letter says 12 at level
12 at 30
12 at 60
12 at 80
And
1 stright down.

Guess I'll try again tomorrow

Reactions: Ralphy
Ok think I figured it out the pano Instructions are different from what they just told me in a rejection email.
Website says 12 at level
12 at 45
And 1 stright down

Well the letter says 12 at level
12 at 30
12 at 60
12 at 80
And
1 stright down.

Guess I'll try again tomorrow

That software must be retarded to ask for all that. They can just have a short 4k video.

Yeah its confusing as they say don't get to much overlap and not to many photos. Then ask for all those angles.
I almost feel like doing the pano for them and just upload that.lol

Reactions: Ralphy
Yeah its confusing as they say don't get to much overlap and not to many photos. Then ask for all those angles.
I almost feel like doing the pano for them and just upload that.lol

Theres something fishy about the whole approach, Betterview is the same crap. They make you get the part 107 then you have to do a practice shoot with 150 -200 photos that never get approved. And when they do the first jib has a contract that requires you have a team of lawyers working for you to understand.

You guys inspired me to accept another Drone Base mission and upload my panos to them.

First, the upload was terrible. Stuck on processing 3 images for quite some time but I managed through browser refreshes and a re upload I got it to work. But then....

...rejected. Same standard rejection email.

No surprise there.

Apparently their system is automated and it looks for certain things. Like white balance issues weather it was shot in auto or manual mode if the wb is off it will reject. Also the TH has a slight fish eye to it at the edges this also causes it to reject. I am waiting on a new lens without the fish eye to try again.

Guys today i got a email that Dronebase partnered Getty Images and now is paying for short cityscapes videos. Hopefully we can make some money with this new partnership. Chime in any info you may find out.

1. All submissions must be 10-45 seconds in duration.
  2. Video must be shot in 4k resolution and QuickTime (.mov) or mp4 format, created with H.264 codec.
  3. Video should not contain audio.
  4. DroneBase reserves the right to reject submissions that do not meet quality or guideline requirements

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wccannabis