Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Drones are advanced security systems

Have you ever encountered a burglar?

• Yes (multiple times)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes (once)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No (lucky!)

Votes: 2 100.0%

• Total voters
Reaction score
Hey,

I'd like to share a thought that crossed my mind which made me buy a Typhoon H quadcopter a couple of weeks back. Imagine an unpleasant situation when a burglar breaks-in, gets what he wants, and leaves without any trace making the whole concept of security system pointless. Well, here's another one - the tech-savvy burglar figures out the circuitry that triggers the alarm and cuts it off. The worst-case scenario would be when the good-guy alarm (which you spent a lot of bucks on to get installed) decides to not disturb your sound sleep and also fails to record footage.
I regarded most of these situations and got a wireless burglar alarm system installed from a local dealer here in Toronto. They seemed to offer a lot: night vision recording, no visible circuitry, home monitoring via smartphones or Wi-Fi enabled devices and possibly, a really noisy siren. However, it's an electronic equipment and always poses a risk of failure.

Now, let's backtrack to the situation with a hidden drone at our disposal. Assume the burglar managed to escape into the surroundings with his treasure and the alarm system woke you up. You could potentially use the drone to chase after him and capture clear-cut images/videos. Pat the drone on its back, hand over the footage to the cops, and make the job easier for them!

Sorry if I'm being too anxious and sound crazy. I guess I can say I'm an individual with scelerophobia. What are your thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
I think most burglars are going to have an escape vehicle close by. By the time you get airborne they will be long gone. It's also difficult to see much in the way of details on the monitor especially at night.

Also, as a backup, I've heard of people strapping game cams to trees in their yards (assuming you have trees). Personally I have motion sensor lights which make it difficult to snoop. At best, all you can really hope to achieve is making other targets more tempting that you.

As far as having an autonomous flying robotic guard, if there was one, I'd want it armed to disable them. (I know, not practical or legal)

If not that, then maybe ED209. Why can't people live by a simple credo, "Respect others, and don't steal their stuff." If we could all just do those two simple things we'd probably solve 90% of the worlds problems.

full

600px-RoboCop_085.jpg

Last edited:
Personally I have motion sensor lights which make it difficult to snoop. At best, all you can really hope to achieve is making other targets more tempting that you.

Prevention is the key, as you say. Security video cams are cheap and good these days, easy to DIY. Have some of them clearly visible. Don't use dummy cams except as part of a system. Visible Warning signs and motion sensor lights are good. Survey your place and consider blind spots.

As far as having an autonomous flying robotic guard, if there was one, I'd want it armed to disable them. (I know, not practical or legal)

I don't think that would be a very good idea. There would soon be laws stating that it's illegal to fly drones outside if some guy decides to arm their drones.

Up until 1999 I had a discreet camera fitted to the side of my house. It was very small and expensive, but no one could tell it was there unless it was pointed out to them...so little deterrent. So I had it moved to a more prominent position where it could be seen. Then someone stole it :oops:

Regarding the use of a UAV. Most consumer UAVs have cameras that are of little use in identifying people unless it is close to them...closer than is legally allowed. Indeed, that's one argument we have regarding privacy issues: stay legal and we can't take any clearly identifying images. But what if you used a UAV with a better camera that could take clear images from a stand off position? Assuming you happened to have batteries charged up and ready it would still no good because by the time you got it up in the air the burglar would be long gone.

because by the time you got it up in the air the burglar would be long gone.

Are you saying he flew?

Most of the usual security cams now are so cheap, many less than a hundred bucks, that there is no market for used ones.

Don’t know about sunny Canada but here in UK I bought a handful of these cheap Chinese made ip cameras for about £15 each stick them anywhere, they have night vision, SD card auto recording, HD capture and two way audio, they can also pan left and right by scrolling the phone screen. They also message you on activation, in other words cheap, adaptable and saves getting ripped off by the salesman in the shop. They are controlled by a small free app called V380, but there are loads of choices out there.

I own a Yuneec typhoon h. Not a good idea , too dangerous to fly at night . I did it once to film a firework show . Try game camera

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bech