Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

external mic on cgo3+

Reaction score
Hey all I have a typhoon q500 4K with the cgo3+. I was wanting to know with the mini USB port next to the SD card slot could you hook up a external shotgun mic to the cgo3+ using it with the steady grip?
51jLRhprQJL._SX355_.jpg 41l+8j0kS4L._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg E21.jpg

Last edited:
That USB connector is probably only for Firmware updates or possibly to access the files on the camera SD card but I would need to confirm that last statement.

I was looking to do something like this in the past due to all of the CGO3+ fan noise by soldering in an 1/8" stereo jack to the existing mics. Something which I could use to hook up an external mic when using the Steady Grip. I'm now thinking the better solution is to use an external sound recorder and sync up the sound with the video in post.

This camera was never intended to use sound since it's a drone camera, although I think some, like myself had the mistaken impression that it would work since Yuneec provided the Steady Grip.

I have since caved in and bought a hand held gimbal for my phone which works great.

When using with the hand held, you better use an separate mic (e.g. your phone?!) and combine both streams in post rather than doing it with the cam. First, the USB port is not activated for external purposes as gwhuntoon said and the firmware does not give a clue how to enable it anyhow. Second, you will likely destroy your footage, when you connect anything to your cam while the gimbal is active, simply because it will be shaky when you move around and the gimbal tries to stabilize but can't as its tied.

Ok that makes since but how do I record audio and use the steady grip cgo3+ app at the same time

Ok that makes since but how do I record audio and use the steady grip cgo3+ app at the same time
You have to use a second device to record sound. There is a fan inside the CGO3 and the mic will pick up that noise. Most people who want to record sound will have someone clap in from of the camera so it's easier to sync the audio with the video.

The micro USB connector on the camera is strictly for factory use when they align and calibrate the gimbal and maybe for diagnostics.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lahorelaptop