Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Five dollar sun shield modification

Reaction score
Five Dollar Sun Shield Modification

Purchase 2'x4' black foam-core board for $2.97 at local big-box store. I had black cloth gaffers (photographers) tape (purchased online at B&H Photo, NY) on hand. Duck tape or painters tape also works. I had on hand a strip of Velcro with one sticky side.
1. Remove the lower panel of the Yuneec sun-shield. It just snaps into place.
2. Measure foam-core and cut 2 - 3" x 6" pieces and 1 - 5" x 6" board.
3. Cut tape to length. One piece of tape for the outside and another for the inside. Optionally, you can tape along all the edges of the foam core panel. (I didn't as I ran out of tape, but plan to at a later time.)
4. Tape the boards together. Be sure to leave a space about 1/8" to 1/4" between the boards so they will flex, fold and bend.
5. Cut 2 - 3" and 1- 5" strips of Velcro
6. Place the soft side of Velcro strips at top of the Yuneec sun shield.
7. Place the rough side Velcro strips at bottom of Foam Core Board about 1/4 inch, or in a position to your liking.
The entire shield folds down for storage.
Enjoy.

IMG_9758.JPG

IMG_9764.JPG

IMG_9767.JPG

Reactions: Daniel O
I really don't like the shields with the suction cups. I put a screen protector on mine and the suction cups would lift it off. I bought one of sunshades on ebay that has an opening at the bottom to get to the screen easily. I cut some foam insulation that has a sticky back to stick to the sunshade. Then I made a velcro strap that goes from one side of the sunshade around the transmitter and to the other side of the sunshade. Works great. You just can't fold it up.

I really don't like the shields with the suction cups. I put a screen protector on mine and the suction cups would lift it off. I bought one of sunshades on ebay that has an opening at the bottom to get to the screen easily. I cut some foam insulation that has a sticky back to stick to the sunshade. Then I made a velcro strap that goes from one side of the sunshade around the transmitter and to the other side of the sunshade. Works great. You just can't fold it up.

I am finding the suction cups not securing very well. I will do another mod to add velcro to the lower edge of the shield. I will post images and how its done when complete.

I have been looking at a way to take those stupid suction cups off and attach an adjustable elastic strap with a rubberized surface on one side. I found the elastic strap at WalMart, its used for women to hold their hair in place. Now I am looking at the attachment and adjusting part of it. But yea those suction cups are lame.

Reactions: FilmIdol
IMAG1759 [34726].jpg IMAG1760 [34725].jpg
Yes, I too found the sun shield to be a bit of a hassle. the suction cups aren't great but as long as the cups and surface are clean and aligned properly, they stick just fine. the bigger issue for me was not being able to use the touch screen to change camera settings, etc. So i got out my dremel and made a quick mod. it took about 2 minutes, cost nothing and made life much easier!

Hope you find this helpful!

View attachment 428 View attachment 429
Yes, I too found the sun shield to be a bit of a hassle. the suction cups aren't great but as long as the cups and surface are clean and aligned properly, they stick just fine. the bigger issue for me was not being able to use the touch screen to change camera settings, etc. So i got out my dremel and made a quick mod. it took about 2 minutes, cost nothing and made life much easier!

Hope you find this helpful!

hey john- i don't know about you, but i have some trouble with using the touch screen...so i bought a "stylus" at the dollar store and it works GREAT! every touch is precise and responsive. i am attaching a shot of the tip of the stylus i bought....works great!

Attachments

• IMG_8911_cropped_5x5_tip_72s.jpg
    IMG_8911_cropped_5x5_tip_72s.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 15
Reactions: Copper Angel
hey john- i don't know about you, but i have some trouble with using the touch screen...so i bought a "stylus" at the dollar store and it works GREAT! every touch is precise and responsive. i am attaching a shot of the tip of the stylus i bought....works great!
I was wondering how you use the touchscreen with the sunshade!

See photos at start of this Thread. I removed the lower long side of the sun screen. My entire hand can touch the screen now.

I'm glad you mentioned this. When I 1st saw your pictures I was focusing on your extensions and missed the fact that the whole lower section was gone. How well does the 3 sided shade block the glare vs a 4 sided shade? I like the idea of full touch screen access.

I'm glad you mentioned this. When I 1st saw your pictures I was focusing on your extensions and missed the fact that the whole lower section was gone. How well does the 3 sided shade block the glare vs a 4 sided shade? I like the idea of full touch screen access.

It works good. I just don't like using the suction cups. I am working on a velcro mod for it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval