Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Fort Oglethorpe, GA. and Ringgold, GA. pilots, where do you fly?

Reaction score
Hello fellow pilots.
I live in Ringgold, GA. I own a Q500 4K.
I have searched the web for local groups, if they exist, of drone pilots and what they recommend as places to fly that are good for video and photo captures. Nothing pops up.

So, my point is, are there any of you reading this that live in the areas, or close, that are in the title above? If so, what are your favorite, or where do you go that is wide open or offers great scenery to capture for online display?

I have researched and understand and accept the restrictions and requirements for flying. I have registered with the FAA.

I hope to hear from you, see what you can share or find places on my own to share. My intention is not necessarily to meet up but, least of all, get any recommendations on sites to fly in with excellent scenery for video presentation.

Thanks for looking.

BTW, I am semi-retired, so I have plenty of time on my hands.

Thanks,
Kelly J.

Last edited:
Greetings Kelly and what an excellent question. I am not far from you living up in Crossville on the Cumberland Plateau. I use a variety of methods to find things of interest. But the one I use the most is Google Earth.

Finding something that is interesting to you and fixing that in your mind is the starting point. Your location does not have to be scenic. Just something that you find interesting. Old Buildings, Lakes and Dams, Gravel Quarries are some of the things I like to seek out. Searching on the internet for historical information in your area. Like Old Abandoned Factories or stories about those kind of things. Also look around the Railroad Tracks in older towns using Google Earth. When you zoom down and look sometimes you find old remnants of factories or abandoned area's.

You will take alot of footage. It will not always be something that you will want to make public. You will or most likely have already, spent alot of time tuning your camera settings and getting your flying skills up to par. Practice all you can at or near home until you are comformtable with every aspect of the bird/camera if you have not already done this. It is no fun to travel out away from home on the perfect flying day to to film something then getting back home to find disappointing footage.

Hope my comments have helped to setting you on a path of discovery. Nothing like getting in the car and seeing the countryside a little. I noticed using Google Earth to look around your neck of the woods I seen several things of interest over near or to the south of Rossville. Couple of old Factories and seen a few open area's around some water features/ponds.

Ron

Thank you, Wingshooter/Ron. I'm not quite as green as I sound. I've been flying since February, which is just a couple of months, but I've got quite a few launches and landings logged.

I'm familiar with searching on Google Earth, etc. Bookmarking places that look good. I actually have a folder in Google Earth labeled "Drone."

I guess my specific question is asking where are good scenic locations that are not strictly regulated. National parks are a no-no. I'm not sure about state parks yet. The unfounded fear people have of these devices keeps me rather reserved in my choice of locations. I'm actually hoping to find a few water falls and possibly clear routes down the rivers from them.

Thanks for the comments. I appreciate them and have employed much of what you suggest. The railroad situation is a good one. I hadn't thought of that.

BTW, I am FAA registered.

Kelly J.

Last edited:
I am somewhat west of you, about 25 miles west of Chattanooga.

I too found green oatches on google earth lol

My first attempts were an experience ......

I am somewhat west of you, about 25 miles west of Chattanooga.

I too found green oatches on google earth lol

My first attempts were an experience ......

I'm still looking around. I moved here from Seattle in 2001, but have been a drone owner for just three months, so I'm just getting started.
What are "oatches?"

I see. My bad. I wasn't sure, thinking it was some slang term for this stuff.
Yes, if I come across anything worthy of sharing, I will certainly do so.
Maybe this thread could be made to stick/sticky if we keep at it.
And, yes, I have been using Google Earth, but with only a slight bit of help.
State parks are off limits by law, so it rather shrinks the back yard.

Reactions: Ddraiggoch
Hello fellow pilots.
I live in Ringgold, GA. I own a Q500 4K.
I have searched the web for local groups, if they exist, of drone pilots and what they recommend as places to fly that are good for video and photo captures. Nothing pops up.

So, my point is, are there any of you reading this that live in the areas, or close, that are in the title above? If so, what are your favorite, or where do you go that is wide open or offers great scenery to capture for online display?

I have researched and understand and accept the restrictions and requirements for flying. I have registered with the FAA.

I hope to hear from you, see what you can share or find places on my own to share.

Thanks for looking.

BTW, I am semi-retired, so I have plenty of time on my hands.

Thanks,
Kelly J.
Hey there,

check out my instagram Flybynooga.

Reactions: coolhandbart4k

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lahorelaptop