Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

GB603 Fuji project

Reaction score
Well having a Fuji X-E1 kicking about the place with lots of quality glass around the house and concerned with the thought of having to splash out for a GH5 or A7RIII and more to the point more lenses I decided to have a look at the Fuji. The Fuji XH1 is looking like a great video camera so thought it might be a better route if it would fit the GB603 gimbal.

First of all there is plenty of room for the Fuji body, unfortunately the tripod mount is to the right whereas on the GH4/5 and presumably A7 it is on the left. A small hole drilled and I managed to get the body mounted in the gimbal. With the rather heavy 16-55 zoom it was not happy at all when I fired up the Tornado proaction so I tried the stock 18mm. That was a bit light I guess as it kept tipping back.
Swapped again for the 35mm and it levelled in the for/aft plain. I guess I got the position of the drilled hole a bit out as I tried to leave room for access to the HDMI cable socket and the gimbal tilted a bit to the right.

So, next I either need to re drill and try again or add a little counterweight, which I shall probably do temporarily at least.

I don't have a HDMI cable and its a bank holiday weekend so not much chance of getting one for a few days but that is my next thing to establish video feed.
Then its all down to if I can trigger the camera from the ST24. With the GH4/5 it is I think operated by wifi which the XE1 doesn't have but the LK58 wifi unit on the gimbal has a shutter release jack socket as does the camera so I shall have to try that when I can source one.

It might all be a waste of time but if it works then I cannot see why any small enough camera wouldn't work and I can consider a X-H1.

Well having a Fuji X-E1 kicking about the place with lots of quality glass around the house and concerned with the thought of having to splash out for a GH5 or A7RIII and more to the point more lenses I decided to have a look at the Fuji. The Fuji XH1 is looking like a great video camera so thought it might be a better route if it would fit the GB603 gimbal.

First of all there is plenty of room for the Fuji body, unfortunately the tripod mount is to the right whereas on the GH4/5 and presumably A7 it is on the left. A small hole drilled and I managed to get the body mounted in the gimbal. With the rather heavy 16-55 zoom it was not happy at all when I fired up the Tornado proaction so I tried the stock 18mm. That was a bit light I guess as it kept tipping back.
Swapped again for the 35mm and it levelled in the for/aft plain. I guess I got the position of the drilled hole a bit out as I tried to leave room for access to the HDMI cable socket and the gimbal tilted a bit to the right.

So, next I either need to re drill and try again or add a little counterweight, which I shall probably do temporarily at least.

I don't have a HDMI cable and its a bank holiday weekend so not much chance of getting one for a few days but that is my next thing to establish video feed.
Then its all down to if I can trigger the camera from the ST24. With the GH4/5 it is I think operated by wifi which the XE1 doesn't have but the LK58 wifi unit on the gimbal has a shutter release jack socket as does the camera so I shall have to try that when I can source one.

It might all be a waste of time but if it works then I cannot see why any small enough camera wouldn't work and I can consider a X-H1.

On the other lenses, I haven't tried this on the CGO4 or obtained a B603 to state with any certainty, but if similar to the X5 series mounting additional lenses, you'll need some balancing weights for heavy lenses and some lens ring weights for the lens if rear heavy.
If interested, there is a guy that makes lead weights for gimbal & camera points to clear the arms. I'd look up his email and provide... he doesn't advertise Yuneec, but weights are weights for balance. He normally requires you to send him the gimbal / lens pair and he'll make the set of weights, if you have multiple lenses he'll make a set for each lens.

The various Len's Ring weights... since same size lenses. Look on B&H or DJI sites for Lens weights. Try different cameras: X4S, X5, X5S, X5R... there's various ones for each.

Since it's not supported by Yuneec, it's more a trail & experimentation. That said, I'd purchase from B&H so you can return the unused weights.

Good luck on the Fuji... I'd think fabricating the mount will be less challenge than the RC controlling the GB603 / LK58 camera controls.

But you're playing with the fun part; the biggest disadvantage & advantage of purchasing EOL hardware (other than cost) are the customization / modifications.

I'm in the UK so probably not practical to buy weights from the guy you suggest but thanks for the info anyhow. I think I am going to shelve the project for the time being and learn the H920 inside out with the CGO4 first I may get my first flight today its dull but so far dry and not too windy.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Siyaco