Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

GiFi batteries

Reaction score
Has anyone used these GiFi batteries for Typhoon H520 or H Plus? Just wondering if these are reliable batteries?

I have one for h520. Works ok yet having read about some instances of them misbahaving badly I am not feeling comfortably any time I fly it.

Reactions: jdixon7057
I only use those since my original battery failed. Only problem I had is the latch broke.

MaximalPower 8050mAh 14.8V Replacement Lipo Battery 4S for Yuneec Typhoon H Drone​

Reactions: jdixon7057
Has anyone used these GiFi batteries for Typhoon H520 or H Plus? Just wondering if these are reliable batteries?
There are mixed reviews (experiences) with the GiFi batteries. I can tell you the case on them is not as sturdy as the OEM cases and the latch spring is weaker as well. With some of the failures we’ve heard about on the forum I am led to believe their QA (Quality Assurance) program at GiFi is lacking, but that can be said about a great many things that are imported to the US. There is an issue with finding OEM batteries, but with the opening of a new Yuneec franchise in the USA we may start seeing an inflow of consumables like batteries.

The H Plus can use the LiHV batteries for the H+/H520 or the LiPo batteries from the earlier H480 Typhoon H. If you use the LiPo batteries the low battery warnings will not occur at the same battery capacity as with the LiHV packs.

I was one of the pilots who had an "experience" with a 8050mah GiFi battery. It took down my H480 completely destroying the camera, and 2 arms, 4 shrapnels and all props on the hex. IMO, the resin GiFi uses for the contact block is not correct or was incorrectly processed during the molding stage. It is weak and brittle and was the cause of the crash, as the plastic resin surrounding the contacts broke and the positive contact was dislodged and lost contact inside the copter. Someone mentioned their GiFi 8050mah battery had a rattle when shook and attributed that to possibly a piece of solder in the case. In my case, it was not solder, it was the contact block coming apart inside the case. See this post:

Since then, I have repaired this H480, got a replacement camera and did a successful test flight 2 days ago. And.... call me crazy and you wouldn't be the first, but I have repaired that GiFi battery by reinforcing the contact block internally with JB weld and rebuilding the case, which I had sawed open. also with JB weld, I am waiting on better weather to do a cautious low altitude test flight with that battery. I wouldn't have gone to that trouble if the cells were not great, but they tested out with very low IR numbers and even voltage across all 4 cells.
First pic is contact block fractures, next 3 pics after repair.

Attachments

• Battery view3.JPG
    Battery view3.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 22
  • IMG_2692.JPG
    IMG_2692.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 21
  • IMG_2693.JPG
    IMG_2693.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 22
  • IMG_2694.JPG
    IMG_2694.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 22
I can honestly say I use them in all 4 of my Yuneec drones without any issues. I had 1 swell which I stopped using. I have 4 different platforms, 480PRO, Typhoon +, 520, & H-3. I guess I've been lucky

I don't know if this was a rare, one-off issue of poor resin molding, incorrect processing or wrong resin choice. My battery did not have any batch numbers or DOM data on it, so they may have changed the process on later batches. I think my battery was about 1 year old plus, as I was not the original buyer. I would just caution anyone using these (or any other non-oem battery) to inspect the contacts carefully before flight, also if the battery rattles, do not fly it - its probably the contact block disintegrating internally.

There are mixed reviews (experiences) with the GiFi batteries. I can tell you the case on them is not as sturdy as the OEM cases and the latch spring is weaker as well. With some of the failures we’ve heard about on the forum I am led to believe their QA (Quality Assurance) program at GiFi is lacking, but that can be said about a great many things that are imported to the US. There is an issue with finding OEM batteries, but with the opening of a new Yuneec franchise in the USA we may start seeing an inflow of consumables like batteries.

The H Plus can use the LiHV batteries for the H+/H520 or the LiPo batteries from the earlier H480 Typhoon H. If you use the LiPo batteries the low battery warnings will not occur at the same battery capacity as with the LiHV packs.

I would like to know about the new unique franchise.

Where and when is this supposed to happen ?
Thanks

Create a new account, the previous account is gone. I still cannot connect to the phone number listed and am not sure of the reason. Make sure to use a full web browser. Accessing the site with a mobile browser is very limited in scope. They will not have any information relating to any previous dealings with the former Yuneec USA so don’t bother inquiring.

Aftermarket batteries always make me feel uncomfortable however, we do not have a lot choice as drone go out of production . I have had good experiences and minimum failures with DJI , Parrot and Yuneec 3rd party batteries. We need the forums to keep getting accurate information posted.

I have 2 of the Gifi 8050 Mah batteries and have had no issues.

I also have two of them same as yours.

The last one I got from GiFi
Had a very distinct rattle in it.
Somebody on the forum told me you better be careful because if it is a piece of solder.

It could short something out inside and explode.

Long story short, I had to find out what was inside rolling from one end to the other.

I separated the case very gently.
Low and behold it was a piece of solder rolling from one end to the other.
I even have a video on YouTube about it.

but gee I'm afraid to say too much I might get booted out of the forum again.

As I have mentioned in my previous posts about my GiFi 8050mah battery experience, mine also rattled but was pieces of the plastic contact block disintegrating inside. So it would be prudent to check the outer large deans contacts (+ and -) on the battery before flight looking for separation, or the contact receding backwards.....

Reactions: KEITH KUHN
As I have mentioned in my previous posts about my GiFi 8050mah battery experience, mine also rattled but was pieces of the plastic contact block disintegrating inside. So it would be prudent to check the outer large deans contacts (+ and -) on the battery before flight looking for separation, or the contact receding backwards.....

Believe me I will keep an eye on it

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmsmindspace