Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

h520 camera glitch

Reaction score
I follow the standard routine to boot up the camera on the h520 (controller first, then drone, then link the cmera). The first flight always goes well. When the battery is lower I land, turn off drone then controller and replace the battery. This is where the problem arises. The drone boots up fine, recognizes the camera (E90) and then I get a screen with a green arrow rotating in a circle. The camera will then not take video or still images. Does anyone know what this green rotating arrow might signify and how to overcome it? I usually get a reliable connection after half a dozen false tries. Thanks, Niels

I think most H520 pilots (as well as other H series pilots) do not power off the controller between battery changes.

I‘m not sure if you are flying a mission, but I believe the controller needs to stay on if that is the case.

I think most H520 pilots (as well as other H series pilots) do not power off the controller between battery changes.

I‘m not sure if you are flying a mission, but I believe the controller needs to stay on if that is the case.
Hi - Thank you for the response. No, I am not generally flying missions. Recently, I've been following a tractor while the farmer plows his field. I think that I've always turned off the controller while switching batteries. I'll try leaving it on the next time that I'm out with the h520 - probably tomorrow morning. Niels

Hi - Thank you for the response. No, I am not generally flying missions. Recently, I've been following a tractor while the farmer plows his field. I think that I've always turned off the controller while switching batteries. I'll try leaving it on the next time that I'm out with the h520 - probably tomorrow morning. Niels

Or just try a bench test.

Start up everything as per your normal procedure. Wait a few minutes, then power off just the H520. Wait a few more minutes, power back on. Can even remove and reinsert the battery if you’d like.

No need to wait for flight to test this.

Just sayin’

Jeff

Hi - I did a bench test as per Jeff's suggestion. I followed the normal routine to power up the controller, then the drone, and connected the camera. I got a good connection fairly quickly and all was fine. I then powered down the drone, left the controller powered on, replaced the battery, fired up the drone and initiated a connection to the camera. The connection to the camera " timed out" but, after two attempts, established a connection. Everything was fine. So, unless anyone has another suggestion, I guess that the answer is to leave the controller powered up while changing batteries.
By the way. I am generally very pleased with the h520. I am averaging a 25 minute flight time per battery and the drone is very stable in windy conditions. It has a very good gimble. Niels

Reactions: NorWiscPilot
For the 5.8GHz WiFi antenna (middle) are you using the mushroom or the square patch? If you are using the patch, make sure the flat surface points at the AC/camera all the time. It is more directional and at close range the reception to the sides would be poor. Just a possibility.

Reactions: Mike Irish
I started with the mushroom antenna and then switched to the square patch after a while since I seemed to get more range. I average about 2500 feet distance with the square patch before it loses signal and then, thankfully, automatically returns home. I appreciate your comment about side range with the square patch. I had read about this somewhere and try to keep the square patch pointing directly at the drone.

I started with the mushroom antenna and then switched to the square patch after a while since I seemed to get more range. I average about 2500 feet distance with the square patch before it loses signal and then, thankfully, automatically returns home. I appreciate your comment about side range with the square patch. I had read about this somewhere and try to keep the square patch pointing directly at the drone.

Just for reference, as long as control signals are good, losing video should not initiate and auto return. Video is via the patch/mushroom, not aircraft control signals.

If auto return is being initiated when you lose video, it is likely a simple coincidence.

Keep flying and let us know if you issues worsen, stay the same, or somehow resolve.

Jeff

If you have previously connected the St16 to a home wifi, be sure to go to the Android settings/ wifi menu, select the home wifi and then select forget. Doing this usually improves connection to the camera.

Just for reference, as long as control signals are good, losing video should not initiate and auto return. Video is via the patch/mushroom, not aircraft control signals.

If auto return is being initiated when you lose video, it is likely a simple coincidence.

Keep flying and let us know if you issues worsen, stay the same, or somehow resolve.

Jeff
Hi Jeff - Yes, perhaps it is a coincidence. I will be flying tomorrow and let you know how things work out.

If you have previously connected the St16 to a home wifi, be sure to go to the Android settings/ wifi menu, select the home wifi and then select forget. Doing this usually improves connection to the camera.
Thanks Steve - yes, I have been connected to the home wifi. I will follow your suggestion and select forget for the home wifi. Thank you for the suggestion. Niels

Reactions: Steve Carr
Hi Jeff - Yes, perhaps it is a coincidence. I will be flying tomorrow and let you know how things work out.
Hi Jeff - Thank you for the suggestion to leave the controller turned on while swapping batteries. This seems to have resolved my spinning arrow and camera freezing problem. My wife, Louise, and I are are making a film about the impact of the COVID lock down on the local farming community. The h520 is really handy for respecting social distancing. This morning I videoed an organic farmer planting green onions. He's worried about loss of clients since he supplies local restaurants. Still, its time to plant and hope for a good outcome. Niels

Hi Jeff - Thank you for the suggestion to leave the controller turned on while swapping batteries. This seems to have resolved my spinning arrow and camera freezing problem. My wife, Louise, and I are are making a film about the impact of the COVID lock down on the local farming community. The h520 is really handy for respecting social distancing. This morning I videoed an organic farmer planting green onions. He's worried about loss of clients since he supplies local restaurants. Still, its time to plant and hope for a good outcome. Niels

Most welcome, Niels. I believe Mr. @DoomMeister also deserves credit for the suggestion, but who’s counting? [emoji173]️

Glad to read you are back to successful operations.

Good luck with your project. Hopefully you have plans to share with us when you’re done.

Jeff

No problem here, just glad the problem is gone. Looking forward to Niels sharing some of his video with us.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmsmindspace