Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

H520 Startup Issue

Reaction score
I took it outside and flew 2 batteries, just to drain them. Nothing special, just mostly hovering without an SD card. I took it inside and connected it to my computer. I have several flights that I want to upload to my Drone Logbook. Initially, I forgot to put an SD card in it, and not sure it matters. It turned on itself (as usual), no startup tone, power button is lit, but none of the LED's on the arms light up, and camera LED blinks yellow. It wouldn't shut down with the power button, so I had to pull the battery. Then I put in an SD card and tried again. Same result, and wouldn't shut down. I tried disconnecting it from my computer and turning it on, and get the same thing. Had to pull the battery again. I turned on the ST16S, then turning on the H520, and the vehicle will not connect. I have video feed though. Any idea what is going on here?

So the drone do not power up or is not connecting. I see you said the camera is connecting so I assume the drone power up. If the drone power up then try to bind the drone again. Some drones to shut down you have to press the power button for a few seconds and when you start up the same. The SD card do not have anything to do with what you experienced.
Post here more detailed your problem.

Reactions: DoomMeister
Sorry, I was still trying to get it to work when I posted this thread. Still not working. Let me start by saying, I am very familiar with Yuneec drones. I have a Q500, H Plus, and H520 with multiple cameras. I use the H Plus and H520 for my business and have many hours with each. The issue with the H520 just happened out of nowhere yesterday. I plug it in after every couple flights to download the flight files into QGroundControl, and then upload them into Drone Logbook. The computer I am using is a brand new Lenovo Legion laptop, that I have used several times already for downloading files via USB. The firmware on the drone, transmitter, and all cameras are up to date. The computer is Windows 10, and just got a security update a couple days ago, and has all current drivers.

Yesterday, I flew 2 batteries in my backyard. I only wanted to bring the batteries down to storage voltage, because I don't like letting them sit. There's a tropical storm bringing rain to us for the next week, which started last night. Nothing went weird with either flight. I hand caught it, left the battery in the drone with 40% remaining, put everything back in the case, and brought it inside. I then took just the H520 out of the case, plugged the USB cord into the aircraft, turned on my laptop, opened QGroundControl, and then plugged the USB cord into the laptop, and I heard the computer recognize that a USB was plugged in with a tone. Immediately I knew something was wrong though. The power button lit up on the drone, the camera made its initiation tone and the gimble rotated to it's home position. But, the drone itself never made the startup tone, and none of the LED lights lit up on the arms. In QGroundControl, I refreshed the list several times, but it keeps saying to hook up the drone. I tried to hold the H520 power button to shut it down, but it will not turn off. I had to pull the battery out. I even tried a different USB cable, with the same results, and even tried different USB ports.

I have tried with the camera off the aircraft, camera on the aircraft, and with a micro SD card in and out of the camera. I have tried turning on the ST16S, and it doesn't recognize the drone or camera. I have tried to manually bind, with no luck. The LED lights on the arms aren't coming on at all, so I don't know if it's going into bind mode. When I plug it in to the computer, I hear the tone recognizing a USB device, but nothing shows up in my start bar, no button to eject the USB device, and it's not showing up in my file explorer.

Last night, I took the legs off and opened up the shell to check all of the connections. Everything is plugged in tight, no corrosion anywhere, the GPS light is blinking, and 5 (if I remember correctly) lights are blinking on the board.

Attachments

• QGround.PNG
    QGround.PNG
    70.1 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
I am suspecting the MOSFET latch circuits are blown for the Start switch on the aircraft. I may be wrong, but I thought the battery was supposed to be left out when using the USB to download the ulog files from the H520/H+.

Hopefully some of our H520 owners can shed some light on this problem.

If i haven't managed to frie my own cells too much I'd say QGroundControl should be able to connect with H520 and fetch the logs exactly without a camera hanging on and without a battery in H520. Have done that and if remembered wrong I should get taken in somewhere where they don't let anyone out.

I have also done the mistake trying to connect with battery on and it makes the H520 to boot and there's no other way to stop it than pull the battery out.

Last edited:
Reactions: DoomMeister
I may be wrong, but I thought the battery was supposed to be left out when using the USB to download the ulog files from the H520/H+.

I'd say QGroundControl should be able to connect with H520 and fetch the logs exactly without a camera hanging on and without a battery in H520.

Interesting. I was told that it needs the battery to boot up when plugged in.Every time I've downloaded from my H520 and H Plus, I've put the battery in. If that's not the case, then I won't ever put a battery in again. Makes sense though, if it's just a storage device at that point.

I am suspecting the MOSFET latch circuits are blown for the Start switch on the aircraft.

A little update, and I hope it's what you are thinking.

I spoke to the Carolina Dronz technician. That's where I originally bought it, and they've done me right in the past. He thought it was the IMU module on top of the motherboard. Since I also have an H Plus and the IMU is the same, I tried swapping them. That didn't work. Then he told me that he thinks it's probably the motherboard itself, which they do not have in stock. So, I called Terrestrial Imaging. I told them what was happening, what the tech at Carolina Dronz thinks, and he concurred. Sending it to them to get a full diagnosis, and possibly a new motherboard. Hopefully it's something cheaper, but I'm guessing that's probably what it is. I can take things apart and put them back together without any extra parts, but I'm definitely not a computer whiz. I will definitely mention that MOSFET to them.

@TurboDad81,

Your dilemma sounds eerily like the result of a static discharge or energy pulse. Plugging in the USB cable seems to be the catalyst for the problems described.

I’m betting on the main board having been zapped.

One big justification for having a grounded static mat covering a work area. Too many times just a little static shock knocks out something big; or worse, something not visible but shows up over time.

Will be curious to hear your follow-up story.

Jeff

@TurboDad81,

Your dilemma sounds eerily like the result of a static discharge or energy pulse. Plugging in the USB cable seems to be the catalyst for the problems described.

I’m betting on the main board having been zapped.

One big justification for having a grounded static mat covering a work area. Too many times just a little static shock knocks out something big; or worse, something not visible but shows up over time.

Will be curious to hear your follow-up story.

Jeff
Interesting take. I'm not an electronic guru, so I don't know. Just playing devil's advocate here, because I really don't know how this works. I know the flow of electricity and how things work in general, just not the technical part of small electronics. The drone with carbon fiber legs (decent insulator), foam landing pads, and computer sitting on rubber feet isn't enough to prevent something like that from happening? Also, sitting on a wood floor, not carpet. And my house is grounded. Would 5VDC @ 500mA really cause that? Please educate me on this, because I don't want this to happen again if this is the case. I will definitely have them give me their professional opinion on what happened.

@DoomMeister
Is the MOSFET the same thing as the IMU? That's all I'm getting in a quick Google search.
The MOSFET’s are transistors that are used as switches in most applications. There is a latching circuit with them and the power switch and that is why there is a delay in power up and power down where the switch has to be held for a couple of seconds.

The use of the ulog files and QGroundControl is not documented by Yuneec, therefore there has been no official guidance in its use. The Typhoon H (480 series) has the GUI and requires the aircraft to be powered on to use the USB port. The H520 and the H Plus do not have that and the internal memory can be accessed without internal power applied (just USB connection), so there is no guidance on what happens internally with both USB power and internal power applied (with the battery plugged in and power off condition there are still some circuits with up to 17.4VDC applied).

Reactions: TurboDad81
Gotcha! Thanks for explaining that.
No problem, wish I could be more specific, but do not have access to an H520/H Plus nor do we have access to schematics to be able to troubleshoot on paper. It would be great if we did.

Since plugging in USB with a battery installed in the aircraft causes it to power on and the battery has to be pulled to power it off, I am taking a guess that the gate on those MOSFET’s are logic voltage controlled. This would be something I am hoping @chascoadmin may be able to get some information on. ?

Reactions: TurboDad81
I got an email from TI today, giving me an estimate on repairs. It just had parts cost and labor cost on it. According to the estimate, it's just going to cost me an hour of labor. Apparently the motherboard is perfectly fine. I didn't get the email until after they were closed, so I wasn't able to get more details. I guess I'll hear more soon on what exactly happened. Either way, great news for me.

Chatted with TI today through email. He said it was bricked, likely from a bad update. He flashed it, and everything seems good. They're going to fly it before they send it back to me. I'm not exactly sure how that happened, because I bought it in December and updated it to the newest software after I got it. I've put maybe 30 hours on it since I updated it. Weird, but I'm glad they got me going. I'm glad they're honest. They could've got me for a new motherboard. They get an A+ from me.

Have you used qgroundcontrol since you upgraded?
Sorry, just seeing this. I got it back on June 10th. I haven't even put a battery in it yet. It's been super windy and raining ever since. I guess I could hook it up to QGroundControl without a battery to make sure it does what it's supposed to. I might do that this evening and report back.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Digitix