Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Hello from Massachusetts

Reaction score
Hello All,

I always had an interest in drones but never took the leap. They seemed like expensive toys, with the pro stuff being hard to justify without a good use case. Well, after building a gaming PC over the winter - I realized I needed a new hobby that would get me outside more often!

That brings me to today: I came into possession a Typhoon H (with realsense and the three antennas on the ST16) from a friend who bought it for his home inspection business but never used it, said getting the license was too much trouble so he'll stick with binoculars. Got it for a good price. My first drone!

She's all registered and I have my TRUST and so far I LOVE flying it. I've flown about 5 times now and it's getting easier each time. I tried the wizard and it's neat but I prefer to have more control over my shots.

The two yuneec batteries that came with it are puffed where the name/info is on them but surprisingly they last over 10 minutes in flight (I stopped timing them at 10 minutes and landed it, not sure the actual length of time before the warning would pop up). I still bought two new "extended" Maximal Power 8050 batteries and I'm not sure if I'll keep the originals or just drop them off at one of those battery recycling bins at Lowes. For all intents and purposes they seem to perform absolutely fine without getting hot during charging or flying and no suddenly voltage drops.

This slight interest is now turning into me studying for my part 107 and I'm almost ready to schedule the test!

I've been registered for a few days so I could do some research here.. this place is a hugely valuable resource!

Welcome to YuneecPilots!

Sounds like you have already been perusing the Typhoon H forums. The user enhanced manual https://yuneecpilots.com/attachments/typhoon-h-user-manual-vcho3-2-pdf.16324/ is a great resource to keep on your smart phone for access in the field.

The OEM batteries sound like they are fine. It was quite normal for them to have a bit of puffy appearance in the label area. If gentle finger pressure will cause the label to compress and there is no binding as the battery is inserted and removed then they are probably just fine.

I would suggest getting a charger that allows you to put the batteries at storage charge when not in use, and allows you to measure cell voltages and internal resistance. If the IR of each cell is less than 10 milliOhms then the batteries are in good shape.

Welcome to YuneecPilots!

Sounds like you have already been perusing the Typhoon H forums. The user enhanced manual https://yuneecpilots.com/attachments/typhoon-h-user-manual-vcho3-2-pdf.16324/ is a great resource to keep on your smart phone for access in the field.

The OEM batteries sound like they are fine. It was quite normal for them to have a bit of puffy appearance in the label area. If gentle finger pressure will cause the label to compress and there is no binding as the battery is inserted and removed then they are probably just fine.

I would suggest getting a charger that allows you to put the batteries at storage charge when not in use, and allows you to measure cell voltages and internal resistance. If the IR of each cell is less than 10 milliOhms then the batteries are in good shape.
Hello All,

I always had an interest in drones but never took the leap. They seemed like expensive toys, with the pro stuff being hard to justify without a good use case. Well, after building a gaming PC over the winter - I realized I needed a new hobby that would get me outside more often!

That brings me to today: I came into possession a Typhoon H (with realsense and the three antennas on the ST16) from a friend who bought it for his home inspection business but never used it, said getting the license was too much trouble so he'll stick with binoculars. Got it for a good price. My first drone!

She's all registered and I have my TRUST and so far I LOVE flying it. I've flown about 5 times now and it's getting easier each time. I tried the wizard and it's neat but I prefer to have more control over my shots.

The two yuneec batteries that came with it are puffed where the name/info is on them but surprisingly they last over 10 minutes in flight (I stopped timing them at 10 minutes and landed it, not sure the actual length of time before the warning would pop up). I still bought two new "extended" Maximal Power 8050 batteries and I'm not sure if I'll keep the originals or just drop them off at one of those battery recycling bins at Lowes. For all intents and purposes they seem to perform absolutely fine without getting hot during charging or flying and no suddenly voltage drops.

This slight interest is now turning into me studying for my part 107 and I'm almost ready to schedule the test!

I've been registered for a few days so I could do some research here.. this place is a hugely valuable resource!
i would get the puffed up batteries out of there they can get stuck in the drone, just drop them off at a recycling place, on the new batteries mark them how many times that you charge them,an keep them about the same charges time. typhoons H plus flyer.steve and drones on YouTube

Reactions: BrielleTyler
i would get the puffed up batteries out of there they can get stuck in the drone, just drop them off at a recycling place, on the new batteries mark them how many times that you charge them,an keep them about the same charges time. typhoons H plus flyer.steve and drones on YouTube

Interesting. The batteries seem to perform fine, the swell does not affect the harder plastic casing and the parts swollen can easily compress. If they test fine and don’t suddenly drop power what’s the rationale behind them being tossed? Obviously if the thing is a fire hazard, I won’t use it, but short battery life isn’t that big of a deal right now for me while it’s a hobby..

Welcome to YuneecPilots!

Thanks! Until I can find the battery charger I want (and adapters, I’m sure) what I’ve been doing is after flying the drone (and letting everything cool) just putting the batteries on the charger for 30-40 mins to get them charged somewhere around halfway.

If you land them at around 14.7V as seen on the ST16 Volts display, they will be at about 15.2V when they cool and rebound. That is storage level voltage. I check mine after flying and I rarely have to charge them more than 4 or 5 minutes and that is mostly balancing.

Reactions: GooG6695
Welcome! I was a neighbor once growing up in New Hampshire. Congratulations on your 'h'. A real fun craft to fly!!
Welcome my fellow masshole, i'm in southeastern Ma., Fall River (hope u caught the jest)
Nice to know I've got some neighbors! I'm in the Springfield area, but I know Eastern Mass pretty well. My wife and I have camped at Shawmee-Crowell on the past, Hyannis, Dennis, etc. If I recall, the term grinder in reference to a sub sandwich supposedly came from Fall River? Not sure about that one. But I'm definitely jealous you have some wind turbines near you, would love to film those with a drone!

Nice to know I've got some neighbors! I'm in the Springfield area, but I know Eastern Mass pretty well. My wife and I have camped at Shawmee-Crowell on the past, Hyannis, Dennis, etc. If I recall, the term grinder in reference to a sub sandwich supposedly came from Fall River? Not sure about that one. But I'm definitely jealous you have some wind turbines near you, would love to film those with a drone!
You are correct in the grinder term.. Personally I find turbines useless destruction of our once beautiful skyline, theres one in my city that never turns ?

Not trying to start any political debates, but free clean electrical energy in place of high rise apartments or coal, gas, and nuclear fission power plants is fine with me.

Well I grew up close to Springfield in NH.
Grinders sandwich also.

Not trying to start any political debates, but free clean electrical energy in place of high rise apartments or coal, gas, and nuclear fission power plants is fine with me.
I apologize, as it wasnt needed, and I should have kept my thoughts to myself

Hey, I'll locate the operational ones, and keep you informed

Well I grew up close to Springfield in NH.
Grinders sandwich also.
Sounds like you were near Hinsdale or Keene? I would shop at the Walmart in Hinsdale, NH and sometimes visit Keene, nice small town.

Small world, right?

Hey, I'll locate the operational ones, and keep you informed
Sweet! With gas approaching $5 a gallon I likely won't make a special trip just for that - but if I'm heading out there anyways I would definitely love to shoot those. I know Falmouth has one or two as well. The cape is beautiful and worth a day trip.

Reactions: johnnyb57
Sounds like you were near Hinsdale or Keene? I would shop at the Walmart in Hinsdale, NH and sometimes visit Keene, nice small town.

Small world, right?
You guessed it. Swanzey a few miles south of Keene. I literally grew up on the Keene airport. My father was the manager until 1970. It's gone now and it's a private air field now. I gassed a lot of DC 3's in those days

• Wow
Hello All,

Welcome to the drone world. Your comment the “she’s all registered” caught my attention. Did you register the drone in your name or business after you purchased it from your friend or had your friend registered it when he owned it and that is the registration number you are using? It needs to be registered in your name.

Welcome to the drone world. Your comment the “she’s all registered” caught my attention. Did you register the drone in your name or business after you purchased it from your friend or had your friend registered it when he owned it and that is the registration number you are using? It needs to be registered in your name.
Thanks. The drone was registered by my friend but the registration expired (these drones are great but relatively ancient, after all). Not being a complete moron, I registered it in my name ;).
(and put the reg # on the drone, and keep a laminated copy of the registration and my TRUST certificate with me when I fly)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval