Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Holy Stone remote id

Reaction score
I have been looking for an affordable option for remote id compliance for my Typhoon H. I recently came across a module marketed by Holy Stone. It is self powered (lithium battery), has internal antenna and is very light with a small footprint. I ordered one from Amazon and received it quickly. I downloaded their app to put my information in the module database. I can now see it transmitting in Air Sentinel. If you are looking to comply, this is one of the cheaper units and it functions as it should. I am not promoting this for any business (not an affiliate link) and paid for the module out of my pocket.

Last edited:
I have been looking for an affordable option for remote id compliance for my Typhoon H. I recently came across a module marketed by Holy Stone. It is self powered (lithium battery), has internal antenna and is very light with a small footprint. I ordered one from Amazon and received it quickly. I downloaded their app to put my information in the module database. I can now see it transmitting in Air Sentinel. If you are looking to comply, this is one of the cheaper units and it functions as it should. I am not promoting this for any business (not an affiliate link) and paid for the module out of my pocket.
Does it have a limited amount of range? Just curious if you have tested the range of it yet. I have been thinking of trying one of those Holy Stone RIDs, but I wanted to see how they work for other folks first. Thanks for the info about it.

Reactions: Hootz
I have not checked the range. I set it up and then verified if I could see it in Air Sentinel. I can't see myself ever monitoring while flying, I've got enough to watch on the ST16. My only concern with remote id is to be FAA compliant. Now you have my curiosity, what would be your use of remote id and the concern of range?

@Hootz I'm curious where you mounted it on your H480. I have an H Plus which would be similar. Good to see a realistically priced RID unit. Thanks for the info and the link.

I have not checked the range. I set it up and then verified if I could see it in Air Sentinel. I can't see myself ever monitoring while flying, I've got enough to watch on the ST16. My only concern with remote id is to be FAA compliant. Now you have my curiosity, what would be your use of remote id and the concern of range?
My use of the remote id would be the same as yours, to be FAA compliant. I have more drones that just a Typhoon H and if it works, then I was going to purchase one. Because this one is a heck of a lot cheaper than anything else I've come across.

I was asking about the range, because I can't really find any information on its range or if it's required to have a certain amount of range. Will it make it out to my visual line of sight max distance. I'm not sure if limited range will be an issue in the future. If this Holy Stone Remote ID only has a few hundred yards of range, I not sure if the authorities around my neck of the woods would be ok with it. I don't' want to waste my money on something that might only work for me a short time or not at all.

I read one review of this Holy Stone Remote ID that mentioned it did not work for them. You are the first person I have read that said they got theirs to work. So, I wanted to ask questions, research this thing before blindly purchasing one and then to find out after, it doesn't work for me. I understand the basic requirements the FAA has for remote ID, but like everything else, they will eventually find some way to make the requirements more stringent and if distance becomes an issue in the future, will this thing still be compliant. Thanks for your post about this remote ID.

My use of the remote id would be the same as yours, to be FAA compliant. I have more drones that just a Typhoon H and if it works, then I was going to purchase one. Because this one is a heck of a lot cheaper than anything else I've come across.

I was asking about the range, because I can't really find any information on its range or if it's required to have a certain amount of range. Will it make it out to my visual line of sight max distance. I'm not sure if limited range will be an issue in the future. If this Holy Stone Remote ID only has a few hundred yards of range, I not sure if the authorities around my neck of the woods would be ok with it. I don't' want to waste my money on something that might only work for me a short time or not at all.

I read one review of this Holy Stone Remote ID that mentioned it did not work for them. You are the first person I have read that said they got theirs to work. So, I wanted to ask questions, research this thing before blindly purchasing one and then to find out after, it doesn't work for me. I understand the basic requirements the FAA has for remote ID, but like everything else, they will eventually find some way to make the requirements more stringent and if distance becomes an issue in the future, will this thing still be compliant. Thanks for your post about this remote ID.
It seems to me like the FAA pushed the requirement of remote id out so quickly they don't know how it will be used once it's implemented. There is a lot of information from FAA about the type of data that should be sent but little about the range capability. In the process of submitting for certification, testing data has to be included in the application. Most likely transmission data is included and scrutinized by FAA. I don't think that I as a user need to be concerned as to whether the device is performing when it is unclear what the distance parameter is. I am going to turn the unit on before flight and if the green light is blinking it indicates there is transmission of data.
I read the same reviews of those that could not find the device when it was supposed to be transmitting. There is a firmware upgrade that starts the first time the configuration app is connected; I think that is the solution to the problem.

@Hootz I'm curious where you mounted it on your H480. I have an H Plus which would be similar. Good to see a realistically priced RID unit. Thanks for the info and the link.
I have not had time to fly yet. I plan on mounting it on the top halfway between the gps hump and the power switch. It's very light (.50 oz) so velcro should suffice. I am concerned about radio interference but it will be trial and error.

remote id article Yeah, I stumbled upon this article through a search, and it provides a detailed guide on using the Holy Stone Remote ID. Too bad I'm not an old customer of Holy Stone; otherwise, I could have scored a free one. But for now, it seems like an affordable option.

remote id article Yeah, I stumbled upon this article through a search, and it provides a detailed guide on using the Holy Stone Remote ID. Too bad I'm not an old customer of Holy Stone; otherwise, I could have scored a free one. But for now, it seems like an affordable option.
@flyist2088 thanks for the find. I bought my grandson a Holy Stone HS720E last February so he could have something to learn on. I sent them the order # from Amazon and just got the RID from them for $29. It will be mounted to my H-Plus and EVO when I fly. Thanks again!

All modules will transmit a bluetooth signal, so all drones will only transmit a couple hundred ft.. Im ok with that cause the further it transmits the bigger the battery

All modules will transmit a bluetooth signal, so all drones will only transmit a couple hundred ft.. Im ok with that cause the further it transmits the bigger the battery
I'm good with that as well. Main point is it is FAA compliant. Most of what I shoot is close in and always within line of sight. I've been shooting drone footage for years and have only had to land a couple of times due to agricultural air traffic. Once I get it and install. I'll post a follow up.

@flyist2088 thanks for the find. I bought my grandson a Holy Stone HS720E last February so he could have something to learn on. I sent them the order # from Amazon and just got the RID from them for $29. It will be mounted to my H-Plus and EVO when I fly. Thanks again!
That's awesome, so glad you found the info useful. It's cool that Holy Stone's RID works for different drones. Hope more people are aware of these affordable and versatile options! remote id article

Reactions: jcommstudios
Just received the Holly Stone RID, It uses Bluetooth 4 & 5 for transmission. I was able to set it up with my iPhone X updated the firmware and added the necessary info, I downloaded a couple of programs that didn't show it transmitting... then found OpenDrone ID which I downloaded to a Samsung TabA I use for an EVO and it identifies it and shows my location, drone type and FAA tag number. Kind of creepy as it will also tell me if any other drones are in my vicinity. But hey.... it's FAA compliant for about $90 and it works! I set it up for my HPlus so I'll need another for my EVO.

To my understanding you do not have to add your drone type to be transmitted. This will allow you to transfer between aircraft without reprogramming the module. You only need more than one module if you are using them on aircraft used for §107 operations.

Just received the Holly Stone RID, It uses Bluetooth 4 & 5 for transmission. I was able to set it up with my iPhone X updated the firmware and added the necessary info, I downloaded a couple of programs that didn't show it transmitting... then found OpenDrone ID which I downloaded to a Samsung TabA I use for an EVO and it identifies it and shows my location, drone type and FAA tag number. Kind of creepy as it will also tell me if any other drones are in my vicinity. But hey.... it's FAA compliant for about $90 and it works! I set it up for my HPlus so I'll need another for my EVO.
Thanks for verifying the ability to set it up and see it transmitting. Initially there was a lot of negative reviews but the firmware upgrade seems to make the difference.

To my understanding you do not have to add your drone type to be transmitted. This will allow you to transfer between aircraft without reprogramming the module. You only need more than one module if you are using them on aircraft used for §107 operations.
@DoomMeister you are correct. If you are a hobbyist and NOT pt.107 you can move the unit between drones as they have the same FAA ID.

what is this

Remote Identification broadcast Module Spare Parts / spare parts ???​

There are some special links that holy stone gives out for a discount price on this remote id device. The description is vague on purpose but the price is lower than retail.
it said (spare parts) what is spare parts i need a ID module for my typhoon H plus. any one know what ID module will work on my H plus

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maahdevbook