Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Horizontal pans jerky as ****. Normal?

Reaction score
Here's a clip, originally filmed in 4k, 30fps. Watch the edges of the window or door frame. It's nauseating to watch! Same when filming from the drone.

I'm new to this platform but is this normal behavior?? I didn't test 1080p yet, but I didn't but this thing to film in 1080.

Can anything be done? Thanks for your suggestions.

Most of what you are seeing is to be expected from rapid panning, particularly with a wide angle lens such as you find on our aircraft. The solution is to slow down your pans and movement. If you look at a variety of drone videos out there, you will note that slow and steady produces the smoothest results. You can also minimize any jerkiness by using the fastest card available to record video... the less buffering, the smoother the final product.

Reactions: ChuckBridges
Are you referring to the fisheye effect of the lens? Any wide angle lens is going to distort straight lines and the faster you move with a video camera the more disorienting it is to the viewer. Good post production software will allow to use or create a lens profile to remove a lot of the fisheye look.

• Haha
Reactions: Truman
Go full screen and watch the door frame go by. It's like a strobe light. It's almost as if it were being filmed at 10fps.

What class of SD card are you using to record the video? 4K video recording requires a Class 10 U3 (3 is inside the U) SD card to keep up with the write speed.

Part of the effect you mention also comes from the rolling shutter used in these type of cameras in conjunction with the rapid horizontal pan.

You can get the same thing to a little lesser extent with a smart phone that records in 4K and rapid movement of the camera.

@DoomMeister brings up another good point not discussed so far, not specific to your test video above. When flying outside with a set lens aperture of f2.8 will give you very fast shutter speeds... in the range of 1/500 of a second to more then 1/2000 of a second in bright conditions.

Because of the rolling shutter Doom mentioned, it is necessary to use ND filters to bring that shutter speed down when shooting video. (This is not neccessary when shooting photos and in fact, will lower photo quality.)

Reducing the shutter speed down to 2X the frame rate, will give smooth cinematic video and a lessening of that staccato effect. Therefore your target shutter speed is 1/60 of a second for 30 FPS video. The closer you can get to that target, the smoother your results will be.

If you have any bodies of water nearby you can fly, do 2 different runs... preferably with some breeze going. Shoot a scene with the water predominant in the frame... first with no ND filter, and a second run with ND filters to slow that shutter speed down. Look at the difference of the appearance of the wavelets formed in the water between the 2 clips.

Last edited:
Both. Looks the same to me.
Samsung u3 card
Is there any way from the meta to see what shutter speed it was recording at the time? I realize that it will vary.
There is a difference in the frame rate for the two 4K settings.
3840x2160 can be 24, 25, 30 fps
4096x2160 is 24 or 25.
So if you shoot in 4096 at 24 or 25 and render the video at 30 fps, the result will show skipped frames.
I no longer use Samsung cards in Yuneec cameras. Sometimes they work and sometimes not. Amazingly, I using these inexpensive cards and they have worked well even in the higher write speeds needed by the C23 camera.

Amazon.com: 64GB Micro SD Memory Card - Netac P500 PRO V30 UHS-I U3 High Speed MicroSDXC TF Card with Adapter: Computers & Accessories

Great feedback above. There is a lot of good information there. With that in mind, my suggestion is to start out simple and explore how fast you can pan until the problem starts and do this at each frame rate you want to shoot at. For instance, select 4k and one of the frame rates, like 24fps and shutter speed set to 1/50th. Then put the drone on a table indoors or out and start practicing panning speeds to visually see how fast you are panning before you get the jitter and/or smearing that happens when you pan too fast. This way you can begin to develop a visual sense of how fast you can move the camera. I also find that I can pan faster at higher frames rates. Really it just takes practice and reviewing your footage. Hang in there. You'll get it!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
erothots