Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

How Hot Does a sUAS Transmitter (xmitter) Get?

Reaction score
Am assembling a video system for an sUAS and the xmitter (aka transmitter) is a 5.8 Gig, 200 milliwatt output unit. The xmitter gets hot to the touch so attached a thermometer to it and it topped out at 145.9 degrees F. This is good to know since when attaching to a drone, it might loosen if the choice of adhesive loosens at that temperature. Probably will use plastic zip ties to attach or figure out some other attachment scheme.

Could also use a lower power xmitter, such as 25 mW which might generate less heat. Something to ponder for those assembling these systems. Always use the least amount of power to get your signal through.

Heard that someone manufactures a camera/xmitter all in one unit, anyone use one of these?

Thanks.

Attachments

• 200mW 5.8 Gig xmitter.JPG
    200mW 5.8 Gig xmitter.JPG
    688.9 KB · Views: 5
A 200mW shouldn't really be getting that hot if you're using decent antennae. In miniquads I run 800mW with no heatsink and it's warm to the touch but not roasting hot. I use a £20 circular polarised antenna though.
You'll find it's better with airflow, but it may just be a poor antenna that isn't radiating that power efficiently and reflecting some back in.

Very good point samsflite. I used the antenna it was packaged with, which was a simple stubby vertical. Being new to this part of the spectrum must confess my ignorance. Time for some experimentation. Thank you.

No problem, also don't forget they're designed to be used outdoors strapped to a thing with propellors on, so probably real life will have good airflow and run much cooler than that. You can try the 5.8 mushroom antenna from the ST16 if you have a Typhoon H just to see if that makes a difference. Make sure the screw on end is the same (some have pins sticking out and some don't) and never power it up without an antenna on as it will blow.

EDIT: I've also just realised it's in fahrenheit (being from the UK I'm used to Celsius). I would say that temperature is absolutely normal really just powered in a room with no airflow. Nothing to worry about really, just make sure it has good airflow when it's mounted and it'll be fine.

Reactions: spongella
Not a problem, thanks. Might attach it to this antenna, 13 element Gig beam, 16 dBi gain. :) Just kidding but would make a dandy receiving antenna.

Attachments

• 101_6964.JPG
    101_6964.JPG
    223.9 KB · Views: 1

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval