Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

How many H520 are out there?

Reaction score
Does anyone have an estimates how many H520 are out there?
I wouldn't know how to do any estimate. 10,000 or 100,000? more?

If you have any estimate incl. justification - I would be very interested :)

Reactions: BigAl07
Not necessarily specific to 520s, but the membership of this board is definitely less than 0.1% of total Yuneec customers.

I guess less than 10,000. Yuneec probably can get a way with it by basically using the same hardware for the cheaper H+

Just curious what this estimate is based on?

Really just a guesstimate... but with a membership just under 18K... do you think global sales of Yuneec units over, let's say the last 6 years... is significantly less than say 8-9 million? That would be about 0.2%... and of course there is a significant percentage of the membership that is no longer actively flying a Yuneec product.

Have no idea of accuracy of my assumption, but I'd assume the H920 (1&2gen) were probably the lowest selling unit based on number of years on active market, retail cost, size of model and limitations due to optional add-on products not arriving to market. The H520 with it's rough acceptance is probably next in line as the 2nd lowest selling model. Not sure what the highest seller would be... Q500 class or smaller unit for public crowd?

Last edited:
The H520 with it's rough acceptance is probably next in line as the 2nd lowest selling model.

Do you have any insights on this? Wondering if the 'commercial' drone line of Yuneec will eventually die or currently just survives because the dual use of the hardware (H+ / H520).

Do you have any insights on this? Wondering if the 'commercial' drone line of Yuneec will eventually die or currently just survives because the dual use of the hardware (H+ / H520).
Actually, my statement of rough acceptance was probably more slow acceptance, limited features within software when introduced. Besides software/ FW, the H520 wasn't a "bad" craft... actually it was a very capable craft waiting to be polished.

My personal viewpoint is more commercial focused for Yuneec. The H520 has greatly improved in FW / Software and within the last year began being accepted and integrated by 3rd party software, expanding the capabilities or ease of capabilities of the craft.

Recently the H520G was introduced, indicating a new Govt interest. Which has the potential if Yuneec plays well in the Govt playground to be very profitable in both profits and development opportunities.

Sadly for the existing H520, there isn't an upgrade path to the H520G so there are 2 distinct models going forwaed... a standard and a Govt edition.

Actually, in my opinion the consumer / retail market product was probably on a slow death.
The commercial H520, H520G, and the H Plus will probably pull Yuneec back up.

How Yuneec reacts to market, develops, improves, cooperates with 3rd party, and competes with leading competition will determine their survival.

That all said, Yuneec was a strong leader not too many years back, they stood static too long and competition blew by them... they have a long way to go to gain consumer popularity compared to other brands; they may not regain that market and be a minimal share holder in consumer products and it'll be their Govt and Prosumer/ Commercial products that strengthen Yuneec.

As discussed in other threads, they had a great start in large platform with the H920 and let it die with minimal development. I thought they were doing it again with the H520 until the last year. I'd like to see them add a new larger platform again, something that can handle a full frame mount for open market DSLR or Cinima cameras, not proprietary.

Reactions: arruntus
Actually, my statement of rough acceptance was probably more slow acceptance, limited features within software when introduced. Besides software/ FW, the H520 wasn't a "bad" craft... actually it was a very capable craft waiting to be polished.

My personal viewpoint is more commercial focused for Yuneec. The H520 has greatly improved in FW / Software and within the last year began being accepted and integrated by 3rd party software, expanding the capabilities or ease of capabilities of the craft.

Recently the H520G was introduced, indicating a new Govt interest. Which has the potential if Yuneec plays well in the Govt playground to be very profitable in both profits and development opportunities.

Sadly for the existing H520, there isn't an upgrade path to the H520G so there are 2 distinct models going forwaed... a standard and a Govt edition.

Actually, in my opinion the consumer / retail market product was probably on a slow death.
The commercial H520, H520G, and the H Plus will probably pull Yuneec back up.

How Yuneec reacts to market, develops, improves, cooperates with 3rd party, and competes with leading competition will determine their survival.

That all said, Yuneec was a strong leader not too many years back, they stood static too long and competition blew by them... they have a long way to go to gain consumer popularity compared to other brands; they may not regain that market and be a minimal share holder in consumer products and it'll be their Govt and Prosumer/ Commercial products that strengthen Yuneec.

As discussed in other threads, they had a great start in large platform with the H920 and let it die with minimal development. I thought they were doing it again with the H520 until the last year. I'd like to see them add a new larger platform again, something that can handle a full frame mount for open market DSLR or Cinima cameras, not proprietary.

I agree with everything you've said but with a nuance, a great nuance. Now with all the latest updates, makes the H520 a bit of a "professional" drone, but still, and 20 months after the release sin to fall short.

When the H520 hit the market, it was a drone with excellent flight behaviour but to tell the truth, it was the only thing it had, it flew very well. With a very solid hardware base and with many possibilities that we have seen with other drones, I am talking about PX4. Now, at last, they are giving it the power or the necessary functionalities so that it can be called a "professional" drone. Although in my humble opinion, it's not only late, it's still short. Although that yes, I will always receive with pleasure and joy any update that corrects bugs and adds new features, from here at least we give them many ideas ?

In this forum, with all that we have suffered, and what we have left, we want nothing more than to take out our drone and for everyone around us to keep their mouths open. We are the most interested. Yuneec is also very interested, it will increase its number of sales like foam. All happy ?

I agree with everything you've said but with a nuance, a great nuance. Now with all the latest updates, makes the H520 a bit of a "professional" drone, but still, and 20 months after the release sin to fall short.

When the H520 hit the market, it was a drone with excellent flight behaviour but to tell the truth, it was the only thing it had, it flew very well. With a very solid hardware base and with many possibilities that we have seen with other drones, I am talking about PX4. Now, at last, they are giving it the power or the necessary functionalities so that it can be called a "professional" drone. Although in my humble opinion, it's not only late, it's still short. Although that yes, I will always receive with pleasure and joy any update that corrects bugs and adds new features, from here at least we give them many ideas ?

In this forum, with all that we have suffered, and what we have left, we want nothing more than to take out our drone and for everyone around us to keep their mouths open. We are the most interested. Yuneec is also very interested, it will increase its number of sales like foam. All happy ?
Your addition is spot on! It has been a long period between release & improvements, that period has had an effect in multiple facets: potential Buyers, consumer confidence, and Owner satisfaction, which is probably their best form of advertisement that probably has been lacking or minimized. I'm also pondering if they'll drop the H520 as the H520G takes off and introduce a new H??? for commercial platform dooping the H520 Owners like the H920 Owners.

On the other page... so far that doesn't appear to be happening... it does appear to be gaining not losing development.
The H520 had a mild re-birth, new software, 3rd party integration, barrier prop cage, RTK upgrade package, and 2x E10T Thermo / RGB cameras have been introduced... one will be an actual player with the 640 resolution. If they'd introduce a 1" or MFT Gimbal Camera with swappable lenses that would be a plus.

But it has lost audience... can they regain the loss? 12 months ago I'd say no, but it does look like the Yuneec ship is turning around.

but it does look like the Yuneec ship is turning around.

I sincerely hope so. Despite being very critical of Yuneec, and I will continue to be whenever I think it's wrong, with the H520 they have a winning bet because the base on which it is built is very solid, I sincerely believe.

They just need to give, once and for all, a good hit on the table and clearly differentiate themselves from the competition by providing features that nobody else provides (if not with third-party applications). I think that right now there is the key. With other drones you can do many things that still with the H520 can not, solve it, implement the functions that are basic today, that even drones of 300 € have. Once this is done, implement functions that only professional drones have (such as Corridor Scan or Structure Scan) but usually with third party software. If Yuneec, as it is doing, implements it in its own software without having to resort to anyone, it is a clear positive differentiating feature with the rest.

Things to avoid at all costs? Of course they won't make the same mistake they made by releasing a totally naked green drone onto the market. Of course there can be no Yuneec representatives who say that a drone without functions is already sufficiently developed when it does not fulfill any of the initial promises, or to make excuses about the batches of defective cameras they launched on the market for technical reasons without common sense. . Of course they will not continue to make the mistake of not keeping their customers informed. Of course to implement or correct the failures of their aircraft without having to wait 3 months for the simplest thing, better more updates even if they are small, that take a long time with large, which result in breaking many times more things than they fix. I believe that if these points were solved, the poor perception of Yuneec would not exist.

I sincerely hope so. Despite being very critical of Yuneec, and I will continue to be whenever I think it's wrong, with the H520 they have a winning bet because the base on which it is built is very solid, I sincerely believe.

They just need to give, once and for all, a good hit on the table and clearly differentiate themselves from the competition by providing features that nobody else provides (if not with third-party applications). I think that right now there is the key. With other drones you can do many things that still with the H520 can not, solve it, implement the functions that are basic today, that even drones of 300 € have. Once this is done, implement functions that only professional drones have (such as Corridor Scan or Structure Scan) but usually with third party software. If Yuneec, as it is doing, implements it in its own software without having to resort to anyone, it is a clear positive differentiating feature with the rest.

Things to avoid at all costs? Of course they won't make the same mistake they made by releasing a totally naked green drone onto the market. Of course there can be no Yuneec representatives who say that a drone without functions is already sufficiently developed when it does not fulfill any of the initial promises, or to make excuses about the batches of defective cameras they launched on the market for technical reasons without common sense. . Of course they will not continue to make the mistake of not keeping their customers informed. Of course to implement or correct the failures of their aircraft without having to wait 3 months for the simplest thing, better more updates even if they are small, that take a long time with large, which result in breaking many times more things than they fix. I believe that if these points were solved, the poor perception of Yuneec would not exist.
I can definitely tell you were part of the growth, while the H520 got some teeth.
It had a terrible sour launch after the parade was completed.
I've held off, watching it... waiting to see if it's a platform to live.

Speaking of 3rd party and keeping up with competition. Have you seen as of this week or last week... DJI launched their own Maping & 3D product "Terra" to directly compete with Pix4D. It's not the ideal product yet, but as a version 1 it's off to running start. Little pricey for my limited needs are present... but the jist is their going after a new market that is trending upward and they wanting an early foothold.

It's this fast pace in platform, software, and associated commercial products that need to be in Yuneec's sights!

I can definitely tell you were part of the growth, while the H520 got some teeth.
It had a terrible sour launch after the parade was completed.
I've held off, watching it... waiting to see if it's a platform to live.

Speaking of 3rd party and keeping up with competition. Have you seen as of this week or last week... DJI launched their own Maping & 3D product "Terra" to directly compete with Pix4D. It's not the ideal product yet, but as a version 1 it's off to running start. Little pricey for my limited needs are present... but the jist is their going after a new market that is trending upward and they wanting an early foothold.

It's this fast pace in platform, software, and associated commercial products that need to be in Yuneec's sights!

I've seen it announced, and I've seen its initial features, it would be a matter of looking at reviews. But until I have seen the drones supported, all DJI, which otherwise has all the sense of the world. I think it's a competition for open software but also not total since they are limited to their framework of action, i.e. DJI.

It's another way of looking at the market, do you want photogrammetric functions? pay for a separate software. What does Yuneec do? Do you want photogrammetric functions? Forget the H PLUS and buy the H520. In the end it's the same thing. But as we mentioned before, Yuneec brings it integrated and within the price, but only the flight software, not processing software. On the other hand DJI includes image processing and flight services. It is very curious to see how each manufacturer has chosen a different path.

I like Yuneec's way of approaching it more personally because it gives you the option of using the processing software you want, and in photogrammetry it is a fundamental piece. With DJI you can make flight plans with other software. I think it's too early to give an opinion but considering that it's only for DJI products, I discard it directly, which doesn't mean I don't like to see what they're capable of developing.

Speaking of fotogrametria, I put in the thread that you have opened with respect to the different softwares, a video, in parts, for now the first part, that for those who want to initiate in the fotogrametria and to compare can be interesting to them.

Reactions: Dougcjohn
I've seen it announced, and I've seen its initial features, it would be a matter of looking at reviews. But until I have seen the drones supported, all DJI, which otherwise has all the sense of the world. I think it's a competition for open software but also not total since they are limited to their framework of action, i.e. DJI.

It's another way of looking at the market, do you want photogrammetric functions? pay for a separate software. What does Yuneec do? Do you want photogrammetric functions? Forget the H PLUS and buy the H520. In the end it's the same thing. But as we mentioned before, Yuneec brings it integrated and within the price, but only the flight software, not processing software. On the other hand DJI includes image processing and flight services. It is very curious to see how each manufacturer has chosen a different path.

I like Yuneec's way of approaching it more personally because it gives you the option of using the processing software you want, and in photogrammetry it is a fundamental piece. With DJI you can make flight plans with other software. I think it's too early to give an opinion but considering that it's only for DJI products, I discard it directly, which doesn't mean I don't like to see what they're capable of developing.

Speaking of fotogrametria, I put in the thread that you have opened with respect to the different softwares, a video, in parts, for now the first part, that for those who want to initiate in the fotogrametria and to compare can be interesting to them.

Agree with your statement that the Terra product is limited to their platform, but even that is sour to me. Having the larger enterprise platforms in Inventory: M210 & M600... and I1, I2. I found it a bit odd the Terra product is limited to Phantom platform only. You'd think the M210 would make the initial cut... nope. One product I've avoided has been the Phantom line.

My view wasn't specifically on the Terra product, but on the aggressiveness of the company to grab, obtain, acquire, and development related products for their core products. It evidently began 3 years back, so the product had some time in development. They acquired FLIR & Hasselbald, and several other photographic, avionic, shipping/transportation, electronic companies. I'm sure the Terra product was purchased as a half-baked product some another company too.

This is the type of market hold that will be hard to compete unless they begin a much more agressive stance soon... actually, I wouldn't be surprised based on their slow to react behavior if they compromise their Govt opportunities. Regardless of nah sayers express, I personally feel they're (other brands) also establishing political business relationships. Yuneec needs to be aggressive to compete, and I agree they need to introduce product or payloads that other brands lack.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hodgepodge