Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Hurricane Micheal Communique from the FAA

DoomMeister

Moderator/Tech Junkie
Staff member
Premium Pilot
Reaction score
Did anyone else receive this from the FAA recently?

Copy of email follows:

faa-logo-612x250-blue-bg-ca01_crop.png

Hurricane Michael: Information for Drone Operators
The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) is warning drone owners and operators that they will be subject to significant fines that may exceed $20,000 and civil penalities if they interfere with emergency response operations in the areas affected by Hurricane Michael.
Many aircraft that are conducting life-saving missions and other critical response and recovery efforts are likely to be flying at low altitudes over areas affected by the storm. Flying a drone without authorization in or near the disaster area may unintentionally disrupt rescue operations and violate federal, state, or local laws and ordinances, even if a Temporary Flight Restriction (TFR) is not in place. Allow first responders to save lives and property without interference.
Government agencies with an FAA Certificate of Authorization (COA) or flying under Part 107, as well as private sector Part 107 drone operators who want to support response and recovery operations, are strongly encouraged to coordinate their activities with the local incident commander responsible for the area in which they want to operate.
If drone operators need to fly in controlled airspace or a disaster TFR to support the response and recovery, operators must contact the FAA’s System Operations Support Center (SOSC) by emailing [email protected] the information they need to authorize access to the airspace. Coordination with the SOSC may also include a requirement that a drone operator obtain support from the appropriate incident commander.
Here’s the information the FAA may require:​
  • the unmanned aircraft type
  • a PDF copy of a current FAA COA
  • the pilot’s Part 107 certificate number
  • details about the proposed flight (date, time, location, altitude, direction and distance to the nearest airport, and latitude/longitude)
  • nature of the event (fire, law enforcement, local/national disaster, missing person) and the pilot’s qualification information.
hurrican-michael-map-govdelivery_crop.png

Reactions: Ty Pilot
I got a email asking for my help but nothing like this. I'm in CA, That's probably why I didn't get this. different areas.

I’m in Michigan right now. I change my address with the FAA when I snowbird between here and Florida.

I guess they figure most sUAS Pilots are a bunch of dummies that never read and/or follow the rules. Feeds right into there agenda to limit our access to the low altitude airspace to allow corporate entities to take over.

Got a email from FAA, same thoughts as Doom's post, they figure most sUAS Pilots are a bunch of dummies that never read and/or follow the rules. Feeds right into there agenda to limit our access to the low altitude airspace to allow corporate entities to take over.

As a former first responder, and has flown a couple of mission, with Angel Aviation (the largest organized disaster drone operators in the US) during an event here in California. 100 percent of the time, gov. agencies will not let civis fly their drones.

They will send out a courtesy letter. In layman’s wordings “You’re invited to fly your drone and help with the rescue efforts” but in reality, no thank you.

Give it up, y’all because 100 percent, they will not accept anyone.

As a former first responder, and has flown a couple of mission, with Angel Aviation (the largest organized disaster drone operators in the US) during an event here in California. 100 percent of the time, gov. agencies will not let civis fly their drones.

They will send out a courtesy letter. In layman’s wordings “You’re invited to fly your drone and help with the rescue efforts” but in reality, no thank you.

Give it up, y’all because 100 percent, they will not accept anyone.

I agree with non-rescue keeping out of the way during a disaster response. The area is already chaotic enough without untrained personnel hampering response efforts.

The point I was trying to get across was that I received the email from the FAA, because I am a “registered” hobbyist. I am not part 107 qualified where I could work with disaster response teams. The tone of the email as posted in the OP, was one that came across as an insult to my intelligence. That even though I am registered and know the rules, I have to have my FAA parents remind me of them.

I think they need to be more concerned with the unregistered hobbyists and the lone wolf commercial fliers that are not 107 qualified.

I agree with non-rescue keeping out of the way during a disaster response. The area is already chaotic enough without untrained personnel hampering response efforts.

The point I was trying to get across was that I received the email from the FAA, because I am a “registered” hobbyist. I am not part 107 qualified where I could work with disaster response teams. The tone of the email as posted in the OP, was one that came across as an insult to my intelligence. That even though I am registered and know the rules, I have to have my FAA parents remind me of them.

I think they need to be more concerned with the unregistered hobbyists and the lone wolf commercial fliers that are not 107 qualified.

Both, unregistered as well as Part 107. They will not anybody fly, unless it’s from an agency.

I know this can be a cool thing to do, and for those who wanting to do this type of work. Get connected with drone operators in your area that do this kind of work. Here in California there’s SARS that’s operated by the Fire Department, the Sheriffs Office and FEMA, or contact the FAA for list of drone operators.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MichaelNiece