Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Landing Gear Descension Problem (H Plus)

Reaction score
A quick search of the subject here in the H Plus forum didn't turn anything up, so I'm going to take that to mean it's not common.

Today while flying I flipped the RTL switch and all went well. When the drone paused to lower its gear, one support came down while the other didn't!
I have not ever attempted to grasp it with the rotors still going, (while hitting the red button to shut down.) I did flip the gear lowering switch to manually
see if it would resolve it but to no avail. Now as I recall, in my panic, I don't think I took it off of the RTL mode. I should have done that and tried to manually
get the gear to drop using the gear switch. But I digress …

I went ahead and descended to the ground as gently as possible and landed it. It tipped to the side but I think I got
the off button triggered in time because there appeared to be no damage to the two rotors that brushed the ground when tipping to the side. My biggest
fear was for the exposed camera (it was resting on gravel in a parking lot) but I believe the rubber piece behind the camera and slightly lower protected
the camera from damage. Whew.

Then it was a matter of how to get the gear back up. Unfortunately, the only way to activate that mechanism is when the drone is on and the rotors turning.
I managed to hold the drone off the ground in one hand while holding onto the controller and pushing the red button to start the drone. Once it was hovering (all appeared normal but for that one gear) I activated the gear switch and this time the gear that was stuck up came down. Several more times I raised and lowered the gear to make sure
it wasn't going to do it again and it seemed perfectly fine.

I'm wondering if anyone else has had that problem? A glitch? Helpful advice on grabbing the drone and powering down while it's hovering is welcome.

The landing gear is identical on the H, H Plus and H520. It's been a somewhat common issue with a new drone. I'm guessing it is the result of shipping and the gear gets "jammed" during rough handling. On the H it is simple to test the gear. Once everything is booted up, simple turn the H up side down and flip the gear switch. It may take several attempt to get it working and if it's jammed, applying a little pressure helps to get it working. After the gear has been operated a number of times it seems to loosen up and works better.

I have not trying this method on the H Plus but I think it might be the same. If you would like, I'll give it a try.

I once had the same problem after a rough landing due to a motor failure. In order to get it solved I unmounted the landing gear and operated it with a 4,8V battery pack (4 times NiMH). Simply connect the wires to the two outer connection plates and the landing gear will (try) moving to one or the other direction. If it seems to be moving in the wrong direction (against the endpoint) do not keep going but change the polarity. Once it moved a little you can already mount it back in to the H or just do a few runs until you feel good to go.

The landing gear itself does not have any electrical components other than the DC motor. The endpoints (or a possible malfunction) are only determined by the current flow.

Actually my Typhoon H has been out of warranty for quiet a long time when I did this. If you feel uncomfortable doing this just try what Steve Carr recommanded and you will succeed as well. From my experience it is still little more difficult.

The landing gear is identical on the H, H Plus and H520. It's been a somewhat common issue with a new drone. I'm guessing it is the result of shipping and the gear gets "jammed" during rough handling. On the H it is simple to test the gear. Once everything is booted up, simple turn the H up side down and flip the gear switch. It may take several attempt to get it working and if it's jammed, applying a little pressure helps to get it working. After the gear has been operated a number of times it seems to loosen up and works better.

I have not trying this method on the H Plus but I think it might be the same. If you would like, I'll give it a try.

If I have this problem again (fingers crossed) I will try what you've mentioned here. Thank you. While it was still on but the props not turning, I turned the drone upside down (at one point while trying to determine what to do) and the lights came on and there were internal "noises" and then I remembered that turning the drone upside down (or so I thought) initiated some sort of binding procedure and I didn't want to do that so I immediately righted it. So I'm assuming if I should just ignore that to do what you suggest? The drone is not new and has been flying successfully without that issue for a considerable number of flights. This just came out of nowhere. No hard landings, no shipping, etc.

I'm always leery, especially when the drone is still under warranty, of "forcing" anything that's stuck for fear of breaking it.

I'm always leery, especially when the drone is still under warranty, of "forcing" anything that's stuck for fear of breaking it.
That is prudent. You would not want to force it but giving a tug on the gear to get it working usually does the trick.
There are just two screws that hold the gear actuator in place and it slides out. Sometimes removing and reinstalling will jar it into action.

These small jams have already arrived on the new H480 and H PLUS. Just open them, and lubricate the gears with a mixture of grease (75%) and oil (25%). Since then, no more worries.
After, if you want to wait for the end of the warranty, it's up to you.

Do never mix oil and grease. It can have effects you do not want to have. Although it can work just fine it might be even worse than without any lubricant. Since it is not likely to be contaminated with dirt, just use some higher viscosity oil and you are fine. Use it for the bearings as well as the drive screw.

If I have this problem again (fingers crossed) I will try what you've mentioned here. Thank you. While it was still on but the props not turning, I turned the drone upside down (at one point while trying to determine what to do) and the lights came on and there were internal "noises" and then I remembered that turning the drone upside down (or so I thought) initiated some sort of binding procedure and I didn't want to do that so I immediately righted it. So I'm assuming if I should just ignore that to do what you suggest? The drone is not new and has been flying successfully without that issue for a considerable number of flights. This just came out of nowhere. No hard landings, no shipping, etc.

Since you seem to expect to see this problem again, here is some advice as to being prepared:

Add a 5 gallon (or equivalent) bucket to your flight kit. Have it ready near your landing site by having a small brick or adequate weight in it to hold it down.

If you encounter a gear failing to lower again, raise the gear and land on the bucket. This will protect the camera as well as your fingers and face.

It may be worthwhile to practice just so you are comfortable should an “emergency” occur.

I typically fly from my lake dock. Had a gear stick once. Was able to let the H hover while I walked to the cabin to grab a fishing bucket. Brought the H through the trees to the lawn rather than try a tricky bucket landing on the dock. Worked great.

Good luck!

Jeff

Reactions: Steve Carr and 10-8
I too have had problems with one side of my gear not coming down. I found this video to be very interesting and took things apart to find I had the very same problem this video talks about. Seem the motor connection wires in the typhoon h are very fragile and I'm a bit surprised no one has mentioned this.
but maybe before attempting this first try to reset the landing gear here is a video showing the process very simple.
You can also buy a new landing gear servo for the typhoon h from Vertigo Drones if you don't feel good around fixing it yourself. SKU 87-NE3V-9T

check back and let us know if either of these helped

Rob L

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval