Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Lindisfarne Causway

FlushVision

Premium Pilot
Reaction score
I was flying my H480 yesterday on Lindisfarne Island (Holy Island) which is a tidal island off the extreme North East coast of England. I shot some good 4K video but, unfortunately, I only have my laptop with me so I am unable to put the footage through post production until I get home to my 4K capable computer.

However, I was able to drop a frame off from that footage which shows the causeway. Not the best picture that I can produce again because this laptop isn't up to it, but a good enough picture to let people around the world get a flavor of it.
Lind_caus1.jpg

It's a mad rush to get across.
I've never seen it so busy in that area...ever. Once I'd done my thing on Lidisfarne I decided to pop down to Bamburgh Castle to fly down a battery that I had left over specifically to fly Bamburgh. The place was heaving with humanity and absolutely no-where to park my car. So I continued down to Seahouses but it was the same there.

So I decided to track back to the causeway to fly the battery down. I knew that by that time the island would be cut off so the plan was to take to the air on the mainland side but that plan came a cropper when I saw the traffic backed up with people who couldn't be bothered to check the tide tables. Further, there was an air ambulance trying to land at the Western end of the causeway...exactly the place where I was planning to take off from (no idea why it was there but I hope whoever they were there for is O.K.). So I did a 3 point and came away.

I've just flown that battery down to storage next to the holiday let we are staying in (11 MPH winds and very overcast). Looks like a better day tomorrow so I'll check my resources later and think about charge cycling a couple of batteries for tomorrow. There's a disused railway viaduct not far away (Leaderfoot Viaduct just the other side of Melrose) that I fancy flying.

I've never seen it so busy in that area...ever. Once I'd done my thing on Lidisfarne I decided to pop down to Bamburgh Castle to fly down a battery that I had left over specifically to fly Bamburgh. The place was heaving with humanity and absolutely no-where to park my car. So I continued down to Seahouses but it was the same there.

So I decided to track back to the causeway to fly the battery down. I knew that by that time the island would be cut off so the plan was to take to the air on the mainland side but that plan came a cropper when I saw the traffic backed up with people who couldn't be bothered to check the tide tables. Further, there was an air ambulance trying to land at the Western end of the causeway...exactly the place where I was planning to take off from (no idea why it was there but I hope whoever they were there for is O.K.). So I did a 3 point and came away.

I've just flown that battery down to storage next to the holiday let we are staying in (11 MPH winds and very overcast). Looks like a better day tomorrow so I'll check my resources later and think about charge cycling a couple of batteries for tomorrow. There's a disused railway viaduct not far away (Leaderfoot Viaduct just the other side of Melrose) that I fancy flying.
that looks like a cool Viaduct to fly hope you got it flush

that looks like a cool Viaduct to fly hope you got it flush
I did a site survey of Leaderfoot Viaduct yesterday after tea time but I wasn't comfortable. It looked flyable but there was something in my water that made me uneasy so I decided to abandon the operation. So I flew the batteries down to storage in a field behind the holiday let.
Here is a picture of the viaduct, though.
th.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: MartinC
Yes it was @FlushVision shame you did not get to fly there would have loved to see it with your drone
Yes, I really wanted to do it but my experience tells me to listen to my water. I just had a gut feeling about it. I expect that it would have produced a very good video but I'm not one of those pilots that just chuck a drone in the air without giving it some thought. There was just something about the site that I didn't like and was something I just couldn't put my finger on.

Reactions: thetrecker
Looks like there are lots of drone footage of the viaduct on YouTube etc. It looks likeke there are two small airports in the location?

Looks like there are lots of drone footage of the viaduct on YouTube etc. It looks likeke there are two small airports in the location?
Yes, I noticed the airstrips. The viaduct is to the North West of Midlam airstrip and to the South West of Nether Huntlywood airstrip. The site lies just within the green area shown in the map for Midlam Airstrip associated with UAV Forecast (an overzealous view) but does not fall within any area of concern in Altitude Angel's Drone Safety Map. Drone Safety Map | Altitude Angel. Not a no-fly zone so it wasn't that that stopped me from flying there...It was just a feeling I had.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval