Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

LOS Spotters?

Reaction score
Leawood, KS. Right in the middle of nowhere...
Hey there everybody I'm somewhat new to this whole drone business(only a cheap Syma learning drone), I've done my research but there are still just a few things I need to weed out. One of my questions is do I have to have a spotter even when I'm fly LOS? I've seen some people talk about it for watching for manned aircraft so I dont have to and can keep my eyes on the drone. i wouldn't think it would be mandatory, but I just wanted to make sure.

It is not mandatory to have a visual observer for either hobbyists or commercial operators when the pilot has direct line of sight of the aircraft at all times.

Yep, no requirement to have one, although that doesn't necessarily mean they aren't a good idea anyway on some occasions. No need for them at all when you're just buzzing round a field learning at mostly lower than tree-height, but when you're hundreds of feet above the top of a vast hill-scape in an area where there is sometimes other air traffic, it is very useful to have someone else looking out for it, whilst as you say, you have your eyes on the craft...

They fulfil another function as well - spotters are excellent news when you are flying in public areas, where they can intercept and prevent passers-by from trying to engage you in conversation while you are trying to concentrate ! The best of them can fend off angry dogs as well !

Reactions: DoomMeister

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lahorelaptop