Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Mantis q

Reaction score
Just looking for somewhere to fly....LEGALLY...Inland Empire...or Willing to drive...for maiden flight...please advise

Hi Bob and welcome to the hobby. I have a Mantis Q that I fly out in California off and on. I am a truck driver so I get to fly many places. Being your Maiden flight I’m not sure my choice areas would work for you. I typically fly from industrial areas, the are lots of obstacles and you won’t get the best range, however I have never been confronted in these areas and have permission to fly at one of my delivery points. I check my apps and google to make sure that I’m outside the 5 mile range from any airports and fly cautiously. The main and PRIMARY hazard I have in the inland empire are helicopters. They are frequently flying anywhere and everywhere, lol. If I so much as hear any type of aircraft I immediately decend or land and check my surroundings. If you have the option, have flown many times in the desert areas between Apple Valley and Barstow, though catching a non windy day there can be difficult.

Help...can't even lift off...says in no fly zone..can't calibrate...can you help

Help...can't even lift off...says in no fly zone..can't calibrate...can you help
If it says “No Fly Zone” you will not be able to fly there. Download B4UFly or Drone buddy to check local restrictions in your area. It may fly indoors in ips mode but I wouldn’t do that having never flown the mantis before. The hover for this craft is not very precise. “No Fly Zone” Isn’t always an airport, Near Angel Stadium for instance is a no fly zone also. This forum has tons of information on safety and our responsibilities as a drone pilot. If you haven’t done so yet, you also need to register yourself with the FAA to get a registration number for your craft and label that number to your drone. I had custom labels made from amazon for 13 bucks that contains all my info and fits perfectly to my mantis.

Thanks for all help...live 5 miles from Ontario airport...closer to a hospital...I have to leave town?...I have registered with faa... been flying toys for a while..but didn't expect this..advise please

Thanks for all help...live 5 miles from Ontario airport...closer to a hospital...I have to leave town?...I have registered with faa... been flying toys for a while..but didn't expect this..advise please
It’s going by air miles, you may still be in the zone. Try restarting from a power down to re lock gps. I would recommend finding a different area. Take 15 North to Glenn Helen go left under the bridge and there’s roadside parking. Trucks and RVs. It can be very windy there though. Might try the big open Field in front of San Antonio Winery off of the 60 Miliken exit, that may be in the 5 mile zone though. I know it’s on the fringe so may or may not fly.

Thanks for taking the time...not sure the 500.00 I spent is going to be worth the inspiration I had...cant talk now ..but would like to next couple of days.

Gonna try the places you mentioned this weekend..I will let you know how it goes...how do you like the mantis q

I love it. It’s perfect for my needs and fun to fly. I can handle some pretty gusty winds as long as you’re paying attention. 6FD93F1E-404C-4F7C-A859-7993248E7A55.jpeg
Vail Pass Summit elevation 10,627 feet. Flew fine despit the ever present gusts of wind here.

Hi john... I was able to take her out...up...south ridge park..for tana..about 15 miles from home...windy as heck...but was able to enjoy...couldn't calibrate..but flew well...my wife enjoyed also....so many questions still john... hope you are well

I’m doing good, thanks for asking. Glad you enjoyed your flight. Are you using android or apple to fly? The mantis handles wind pretty well. I’ve flown in up to 20 mph winds okay although getting good pictures is tough in the wind. Calibration can be difficult sometimes, read some of the other posts for tips and demonstrations. I haven’t used any of the smart features yet. I prefer to be in full control. I fly as follows, 1. Calibration if I’m in a new location 2. Wait until I have a minimum of 13 satellites locked 3. Make sure drone reports “Home point recorded” at take off. 4. Check all controls before heading off in flight. Also always have phone in airplane mode. The Mantis will fly without the phone if something happens to your device in flight. I’ve tested this unintentionally, lol.

Good stuff..I always refer back to your info...dumb ??? Should you or would you disable the no fly zone safety feature...no right?

I personally would not. If I were only flying in my backyard below the treetops. I would probably get the drone to go into ips mode and putter around my back yard. Flying inside is iffy, especially since prop guards were not included. The issue in “No Fly Zones” is no matter how your flying or how safe you are problems can occur. I had a Breeze before the mantis and it had a few gremlins that would and did cause uncontrollable flight. I have had zero problems with the mantis, but if I was operating in a “No Fly Zone” and it decided to go for a joy flight or say I forgot to turn off Auto return upon low battery, it could reach some high altitude very quick. And I would be entirely responsible for anything that happened as a result.

John..I meant I had dumb ???..not that your Info was dumb..just to be clear..lol

Thank you...I mean why would I want to fly that beast around my neighborhood...I promised myself I would never do that...anyway...told you it was a dumb ?....I have more ..do you have time

The depictions on the android device do not accurately describe what needs to be done for calibration. I had to search myself to learn because I was using a galaxy s7 to fly. Now I primarily use my iPhone.

Hi john... got it to calibrate...but when I was flying I could hardly see the screen because of sun...any ideas?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval