Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

New changes to Canadian UAV laws!

Reaction score
This is MUCH better!!!

(1) Subject to subsection (2), this Interim Order applies in respect of model aircraft having a total weight of more than 250 g (0.55 pounds) but not more than 35 kg (77.2 pounds).
(2) It does not apply to
(a) unmanned air vehicles; and
(b) model aircraft operated at events organized by the Model Aeronautics Association of Canada (MAAC) or at airfields located in a zone administered by MAAC or a MAAC club.
Suspended Provision of Regulations
Prohibited Use
4 The effect of section 602.45 of the Regulations is sus¬pended in respect of the model aircraft referred to in subsection 3(1).
Model Aircraft Operating and Flight Provisions
Prohibitions
5 (1) No person shall operate a model aircraft
(a) at an altitude greater than 300 feet AGL;
(b) within controlled airspace;
(c) within restricted airspace;
(d) over or within the security perimeter of a police or first responder emergency operation site;
(e) over or within an open-air assembly of persons;
(f) at night; or
(g) in cloud.
(2) No person shall operate more than one model aircraft at a time.
(3) No person shall operate a model aircraft having a total weight of more 250 g (0.55 pounds) but not more than 1 kg (2.2 pounds) at a lateral distance of less 100 feet (30 m) from vehicles, vessels or the public, including spectators, bystanders or any person not associated with the oper¬ation of the aircraft.
(4) No person shall operate a model aircraft having a total weight of more 1 kg (2.2 pounds) but not more than 35 kg (77.2 pounds) at a lateral distance of less 250 feet (75 m) from vehicles, vessels or the public, including spectators, bystanders or any person not associated with the oper¬ation of the aircraft.
(5) No person shall operate a model aircraft
(a) within 3 nautical miles (5.5 km) of the centre of an aerodrome, except a heliport or an aerodrome that is used exclusively by helicopters;
(b) within 1 nautical mile (1.8 km) of a heliport or an aerodrome that is used exclusively by helicopters; or
(c) inside an aerodrome control zone.
(6) No person shall operate a model aircraft
(a) over or within an area of natural hazard or disaster; or
(b) any area that is located within 9 km of an area of natural hazard or disaster.
Right of Way
6 A person operating a model aircraft must give way to manned aircraft at all times.
Visual Line-of-Sight
7 (1) A person operating a model aircraft must ensure that it is operated within VLOS at all times during the flight.
(2) No person shall operate a model aircraft at a lateral distance of more than 1640 feet (500 m) from the person’s location.
Contact Information
8 The owner of a model aircraft shall not operate or per¬mit a person to operate the aircraft unless the name, address and telephone number of the owner are clearly made visible on the aircraft.

Reactions: 0ldsc00ld0g
This is MUCH better!!!

(1) Subject to subsection (2), this Interim Order applies in respect of model aircraft having a total weight of more than 250 g (0.55 pounds) but not more than 35 kg (77.2 pounds).
(2) It does not apply to
(b) model aircraft operated at events organized by the Model Aeronautics Association of Canada (MAAC) or at airfields located in a zone administered by MAAC or a MAAC club.
Prohibited Use
4 The effect of section 602.45 of the Regulations is sus¬pended in respect of the model aircraft referred to in subsection 3(1).
Prohibitions
(d) over or within the security perimeter of a police or first responder emergency operation site;
(f) at night; or
(g) in cloud.
(3) No person shall operate a model aircraft having a total weight of more 250 g (0.55 pounds) but not more than 1 kg (2.2 pounds) at a lateral distance of less 100 feet (30 m) from vehicles, vessels or the public, including spectators, bystanders or any person not associated with the oper¬ation of the aircraft.
(4) No person shall operate a model aircraft having a total weight of more 1 kg (2.2 pounds) but not more than 35 kg (77.2 pounds) at a lateral distance of less 250 feet (75 m) from vehicles, vessels or the public, including spectators, bystanders or any person not associated with the oper¬ation of the aircraft.
(a) within 3 nautical miles (5.5 km) of the centre of an aerodrome, except a heliport or an aerodrome that is used exclusively by helicopters;
(b) within 1 nautical mile (1.8 km) of a heliport or an aerodrome that is used exclusively by helicopters; or
(b) any area that is located within 9 km of an area of natural hazard or disaster.
Right of Way
6 A person operating a model aircraft must give way to manned aircraft at all times.
Visual Line-of-Sight
7 (1) A person operating a model aircraft must ensure that it is operated within VLOS at all times during the flight.
(2) No person shall operate a model aircraft at a lateral distance of more than 1640 feet (500 m) from the person’s location.
Contact Information
8 The owner of a model aircraft shall not operate or per¬mit a person to operate the aircraft unless the name, address and telephone number of the owner are clearly made visible on the aircraft.
I'm not sure I understand. It looks the same to me.

Thanks
Murray

Last edited:
trying to interpret this double talking Statement '#2' says " does not apply to" 'a' UNMANNED AIR VEHICLES , so is this concerning drones or is it not , why could we not have something put out so a dummy like myself could understand what they are talking about

@Niblett I found the report you pulled this from, but I still don't see what differences you have seen that are much better. It looks like the same thing or am I still missing something? What has changed for a UAV? The rules all look the same still. Keep in mind, the TOW for the H is 1950g which puts it at double the max of 1kg/2.2lbs (1000g).

I think he's being SARCASTIC when he says it's much better. I see no difference from the March 16 guidelines....... oh wait it appears that drones less than 1kg have relaxed rules...no?
The wording is typically lawyer-speak ambiguous to be intentionally hard to interpret.

Last edited:
This is MUCH better!!!

(2) It does not apply to
Prohibited Use
Prohibitions
(f) at night; or
(g) in cloud.
Right of Way
Visual Line-of-Sight
Contact Information
Where is this information from? Can you provide a link? Is it an official Transport Canada publication?

Improvements include dropping the overall 9km nfz from the center of all airport/heliports/hydroplane ports - now its 5.5km from airports and 1.8km from heliports. Also better language when describing minimum distances. It now states - from vehicles, vessels or the public, including spectators, bystanders or any person not associated with the operation of the aircraft. Before it implied that you could not even fly close to your own car or next to your own house. They also removed the reference to animals.

They can make all the changes they want , I have been trying to get a hold of someone in the Ontario SFOC offices since Thursday leaving messages and no response, no call backs , pretty hard trying to conduct business when you can't explain to your customer why they haven't even given an answer on an application that was sent in April 4 2017 , They wonder why people are just going out doing business without following any of the rules

Well now that this has had a chance to sink in I've realized something about this that's horribly worse for those living around major airports (like myself). As some have already noted, the "Control Zone" issue. I was able to fly before outside 9kms from the major airport near me (CYYT). I called the control tower to find out what the control area radius is....7nm or 12kms. Thanks TC for making things better. Absolute crap! I'm rotted!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taxinnovex