Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

New DJI Camera

I think the position the op was trying to get across was the availibilty of an option. I really don't think anyone expects the H to carry a full frame camera. I do think some would be happy with a camera upgrade though. Yuneec, Autel and 3dr have all released prosumer grade copters in the $1K range with modular design. They have touted this design as a means of delivering upgraded features without the need to buy new aircraft. I question that strategy. I'm not sure it is sustainable. How many folks on here would be willing to pay $600 for a better camera? That is probably what it would cost, at a minimum, for Yuneec to have the margin necessary to even want to entertain producing a new camera. Anyway it is interesting watching the developments.

Reactions: Forrestt
I think the position the op was trying to get across was the availibilty of an option. I really don't think anyone expects the H to carry a full frame camera. I do think some would be happy with a camera upgrade though. Yuneec, Autel and 3dr have all released prosumer grade copters in the $1K range with modular design. They have touted this design as a means of delivering upgraded features without the need to buy new aircraft. I question that strategy. I'm not sure it is sustainable. How many folks on here would be willing to pay $600 for a better camera? That is probably what it would cost, at a minimum, for Yuneec to have the margin necessary to even want to entertain producing a new camera. Anyway it is interesting watching the developments.
I'd say a lot would buy something like this Sony ILCE-QX1 Lens-Style Camera with 20.1 MP Sensor if were mounted on a gimbal, flight times would take a bit of a hit, would probably end up like the similar to an inspire with an x5. This would pull many P4 buyer to the TH and probably Inspire buyers too. They would have the volume of sales to make something like this at a reasonable cost and grow their market stake.

How many folks on here would be willing to pay $600 for a better camera?
Some hobbyists and almost all pros who need better image quality. Anyone from either camp that is currently satisfied should not, and likely would not. So, the questions ate what are people buying these items for, and how satisfied are they in the aggregate. At this price point, what is the target market, and what are their needs.

Comparisons to multi rotors at no less than twice the price with no camera or gimbal, or professional cameras that cost as much/more with absolutely no flight platform are ridiculous and irresponsible, yet some people make them.

Then there are features that don't impact image quality, but they impact flight characteristics. Are they needed, because they increase the selling price. Autonomy, survivability, and other factors are viewed through the filters of personal experience, skill, and need.

Some hobbyists and almost all pros who need better image quality. Anyone from either camp that is currently satisfied should not, and likely would not. So, the questions ate what are people buying these items for, and how satisfied are they in the aggregate. At this price point, what is the target market, and what are their needs.

Comparisons to multi rotors at no less than twice the price with no camera or gimbal, or professional cameras that cost as much/more with absolutely no flight platform are ridiculous and irresponsible, yet some people make them.

Then there are features that don't impact image quality, but they impact flight characteristics. Are they needed, because they increase the selling price. Autonomy, survivability, and other factors are viewed through the filters of personal experience, skill, and need.
Very well stated friend.

Forrestt,

Perhaps you took what I meant the wrong way. The point of this being a Yuneec thread is that far too many have deliberately disrupted non DJI product threads to call attention away for the thread topic and redirect it to DJI. In many other cases those people and others go out of their way to disparage any non DJI product. The same has been happening in this forum, one dedicated to Yuneec products, and this thread was initiated with a DJI comparison without mention of the cost of those camera upgrades, which places them out of the price class ball park of the H.

My comments about fitting larger cameras to smaller MR's was not meant to be negative, but informative. The H simply does not have the capability to lift the additional weight of something like an a6000/a6300 and the gimbal necessary to carry it. even if it did the useful flight time using the current motors/ESC's and battery would likely be less than 5 minutes and require running at max throttle to do so. Since you have been involved with high end photography for a long time you clearly understand the relative cost of equipment to quality provided. Many in this forum don't have that experience and don't know that heavier high end equipment doesn't fit the <550mm class of MR's, or recognize the cost differential associated with those upgrades.

So I had no intention to offend but my delivery is usually direct and abrupt. Things get done faster that way. Some people don't like it, some don't care. I can't please everyone, and don't try to.
I didn't take anything the wrong way sir. You called me out on my own post when you made this comment" Something I find amusing is people tossing out all the DJI camera options while stating Yuneec needs to step up." It's no biggie, it's a forum and people voice their own opinions, ideas and findings. Peace......

I'd say a lot would buy something like this Sony ILCE-QX1 Lens-Style Camera with 20.1 MP Sensor if were mounted on a gimbal, flight times would take a bit of a hit, would probably end up like the similar to an inspire with an x5. This would pull many P4 buyer to the TH and probably Inspire buyers too. They would have the volume of sales to make something like this at a reasonable cost and grow their market stake.
That is a pretty darn slick camera!

Reactions: TopFlightTexas
Are you joking? Do you know how heavy that setup is? That isnt even accounting for the gimbal size and weight. That is not the upgrade you will get on the TH for $600. Take a look at the X5 for the Inspire. That is a micro 4/3 sensor mounted to a lens. The whole seteup is smaller than that cam/lens. The cost is what 1000 bucks.

Some hobbyists and almost all pros who need better image quality.
I hear you but I don't think at $600 you are getting a pro cam. You will not get a micro 4/3 --- GH4 style setup on $600 upgrade. And whoever posted that sony cam... C'mon man that is just not reasonable on so many levels.

Pro as in gets paid to record. There are people making YouTube videos on their phones and monetizing them, so in this sense a pro camera is just the tool used to generate revenue. I mean, the other copters near this price point with better cameras still don't have spectacular cameras, and they are used to shoot video that people still pay for.

Speaking of different cameras, in my mind, and I know this has been talked about in previous threads but a different gimbal with available software to run small cameras such as the small lightweight a6300 would possibly be a valid idea.
Yeh nice thought. Would love to run an a6000 off it with control; via st16

That camera is $900 on its own. How many are going to pay $900 for a camera upgrade on a $1300 multirotor?
Me,

The only reason it's hard to spend $800 on is because it still spits out barely prosumer h.264 but until people start realizing that's not a good thing, it will keep happening.

That Z3 is better than the camera on the P4 and the X3 or X5 on the P4 and it absolutely destroys the piece of crap cgo3+.

The x5R is the only real good integrated camera (on the prosumer market because it shoots raw thanks to its SSD companion).

Even though the p4 shoots much better than the CGO, they are all prosumer crap at the end of the day.

You want good photography from Yuneec? Put down the H and pick up the Tornado which has a miniature GH4 and you'll have a prosumer camera. Or make one and put a real DSLR on it.

The zoom of 3.5 is a marketing tool that I knew was coming. What use do you have of going 3.5x closer when you can just move forward 20 yards in the same amount of time.

I'm always amazed by people and what companies can pull right over their heads. With an aerial photography, with vistas, unless you have like 500x zoom (optical) mix it's pointless.

3.5 zoom is goofy. And putting a digital zoom on a camera is not only goofy, it's stupid. It just shows you how exactly what you can do with your editor but not let you see what you're recording.

Here is a marketing ploy "unlimited digital zoom on the typhoon h" because technically, you have it.

Let's call spades a spade. The Typhoon H is super fun to fly but it, like all of its predecessors in the Yuneec family, have cameras that aren't worth the card you put in them.

Don't get me wrong DJI cameras are a lot better but still suck, yes, even the X3 and X5 to a lesser degree but at least you can switch lenses and like on the z3, you can change the aperture which is pretty **** necessary. Being locked in at the third stop is annoying as ****.

My still camera that doesn't fly costs 3x what my inspire cost me. And who knows how many times more than the H and the 4.

I expect mediocre results from the cameras that fly and great ones from the ones that don't.

But at least the ones that take mediocre images with bad video codecs shoot raw DNG (P4, Inspire et al) but if I try to let my Sony a7 fly, it just falls down and breaks.

I hope a point was made here.

The point really is, you guys want more than you can have for the money you want to spend. They are fitting a BOAT AND ANOTHER BOAT load of technology in our flying cameras and if you want more, it's gonna cost you.

I posted on a similar thread on phantompilots that said this truth "the warranty on the Red Epic Deagon 6k" costs more than 3 typhoon Hs or P4s. The warranty!

The camera isn't even that expensive at $50K.

The drone revolution for better or worse have made expectations for technology grow too fast I think.

Reactions: DerStig
I hear you but I don't think at $600 you are getting a pro cam. You will not get a micro 4/3 --- GH4 style setup on $600 upgrade. And whoever posted that sony cam... C'mon man that is just not reasonable on so many levels.

This 4/3 camera was on sale for $549 this week. No it is not GH4 level but it does have a 4/3 sensor and lens mount system. Not sure what gimbal to use and it would end up to heavy for the H but it is a 4/3 camera and it is (was) under 600 so yes it can be done.

Are you joking? Do you know how heavy that setup is? That isnt even accounting for the gimbal size and weight. That is not the upgrade you will get on the TH for $600. Take a look at the X5 for the Inspire. That is a micro 4/3 sensor mounted to a lens. The whole seteup is smaller than that cam/lens. The cost is what 1000 bucks.
Of course I am not joking!!! how heavy yourself do YOU think this setup would be?
If you had checked the weights you would have mentioned them in your post, but obviously you didn't because if you did you would have realised that the camera and lens together would weigh less than 250g, that is LESS than HALF of the X5.
You also exclamate that it is a Micro 4/3 sensor on the X5, you don't seem to realise that this APS C sensor is larger than than a Micro 4/3.
sighhhh

What are you talking about?

The CGO4 which is only available on the Tornado is $2700 for a miniature Panasonic GH4 which you can buy a full size one for $1200.

The GH4 delvers a professional ProRes and the X5, X3, CGO2, CGO3, CGO3+ all crap out a crappy useless (but for home videos and vacations) a prosumer codec that can't be used for anything REALLY professional. Sure you can do a $500-$1000 job shooting some real estate or something to someone that doesn't know what's what but you are not getting anything near even a micro GH4 for $600 because you won't have a deliverable out of the camera that is professional. The GH4 full frame is only prosumer, the h.264 version is barely prosumer and is really about as good, and really not as good as your iPhone.

Problem here is that people don't understand that the price of these drones cost less than your average prosumer camera and they fly! If you want a good camera, you have to spend a lot of money. If you want a good bird with a heavy pay load, you need a lot of money. If you need a lot of camera and a lot of bird, you need A LOT of money. Ive seen aerial rigs with a million dollars worth of gear on them. Talking about professional ANYTHING on this forum is just silly.

Outside of the Tornado, and Matrices of the world, everything else is a fun toy. Not a Syma toy but a toy nonetheless. Sorry to burst any bubbles for people that thought spending $2000 was a professional investment. I have lenses that cost twice as much. Single lenses.

Last edited:
I'm not sure what's not professional about a payback period of half a dozen jobs, if you actually deliver what the customer accepts. These cameras/multis are quite worthless to a particular set of customers, and not at all worthless to another set. As long as no one confuses the requirements of the different pools of customers, they'l should be quite all right.

Another mistake would be to spend money on the wrong things, make capital investments you can't cash flow with. If you can do $500 jobs regularly, that wouldn't justify a million dollars in equipment, not even close. A $500 job a day at a seven year amortization and relatively low rate on an equipment loan would only cover p&i payments - no profit, no return on the investment.

Now, if you had that kind of market, spending twenty times the price of a typhoon is a no brainer. A lot of small business hopefuls fail to start at the critical calculations, how much money they will spend each month, loan payments, overhead, labor, etc. That's your obligations, and you have less control over that. You can hustle, deal, negotiate, work extra hours, etc to try to do more work, but that isn't guaranteed in the least. Your bills, though, that's clockwork. Find out what you have to make first, then figure out how to make it - including what stuff it will take to turn your passion into paying customers.

Reactions: Eliphion
I'm not sure what's not professional about a payback period of half a dozen jobs, if you actually deliver what the customer accepts. These cameras/multis are quite worthless to a particular set of customers, and not at all worthless to another set. As long as no one confuses the requirements of the different pools of customers, they'l should be quite all right..
Exactly, I know some graphic designers that will work only by hand and in some markets compete with others using massive investment in equipment. These equipment guys would laugh at the ones who work by hand saying they have no pro equipment, but guess what, with no pro equipment they take work from the guys with all the bells and whistles. To make art I guess the most expensive brush do not equate to the best picture.

I'm not sure what's not professional about a payback period of half a dozen jobs, if you actually deliver what the customer accepts. These cameras/multis are quite worthless to a particular set of customers, and not at all worthless to another set. As long as no one confuses the requirements of the different pools of customers, they'l should be quite all right.

Another mistake would be to spend money on the wrong things, make capital investments you can't cash flow with. If you can do $500 jobs regularly, that wouldn't justify a million dollars in equipment, not even close. A $500 job a day at a seven year amortization and relatively low rate on an equipment loan would only cover p&i payments - no profit, no return on the investment.

Now, if you had that kind of market, spending twenty times the price of a typhoon is a no brainer. A lot of small business hopefuls fail to start at the critical calculations, how much money they will spend each month, loan payments, overhead, labor, etc. That's your obligations, and you have less control over that. You can hustle, deal, negotiate, work extra hours, etc to try to do more work, but that isn't guaranteed in the least. Your bills, though, that's clockwork. Find out what you have to make first, then figure out how to make it - including what stuff it will take to turn your passion into paying customers.
You are actually agreeing with what I said if that was directed at me.

A rose by any other name... Calling it professional or not is not the thing, but if you're making money with a camera at this price point, you better be getting jobs that make sense for it. That's all I'm saying and to expect an exceptional camera on a $1200 UAS, you're going to be disappointed but if it does its job, great!

If you need a flying machine that flies more like the H over the P4, then get it. I think the P4 has a better camera but not so much better that you should get it over the H if you like the H better.

If I was forced to pick one and only one, id probably get the 4 (I'm including the Inspire [unless it has the x5 or x5r or z3]) but with the x3, my choice is the P4.

To each his own though but if I need to shoot something really professional, I shoot it on a full frame camera that shoots RAW (on the ground and in the air). But I have access to it and I get jobs that require it (sometimes). Soon my show will start again (August) and then I'm only flying for fun mostly anyway.

****, sometimes I just like to take my Syma and its 20 batteries and fly all day at the park and worry about nothing. Often I think it's more fun to fly then all of them.

Reactions: Eliphion

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nubestpremiumsupplements