Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

New firmware reduced range?

Reaction score
Has anyone else been able to test long range flights with the new firmware? It seems like a significant drop in range after the new firmware update. Did some long range testing today in known flight paths and it's definitely not going nearly as far as before, and connection drops out more readily at long range vs before.

One very noticeable behavior is at longer distances it seems to be "eager" to return home. At around 2000ft it kept wanting to not go further and turning around almost like it was fighting me, even though video connection was solid and bird was in clear line of sight. Before the bird would easily go twice that distance. It's almost as if the H quickly goes into RTH mode at the first hint of signal loss without waiting for input whereas before it would hover for a bit until it picked up signal again. Telemetry would also drop out and would not reconnect until bird was back to about 800ft range.

I have the upgraded FPVLR kit and was able to get out at very long distances before this update.

Last edited:
I'm getting video drop around 1000ft. That's half what I was getting before.
Has anyone else been able to test long range flights with the new firmware? It seems like a significant drop in range after the new firmware update. Did some long range testing today in known flight paths and it's definitely not going nearly as far as before, and connection drops out more readily at long range vs before.

One very noticeable behavior is at longer distances it seems to be eager to return home. At around 2000ft it kept wanting to not go further and turning around. Telemetry would drop out even though video was clear and bird was in clear line of sight in the sky.

I have the upgraded FPVLR kit and was able to get out at very long distances before this update.

I was getting out to 1000ft in very wooded area with no video drop out. Now bout 600ft and the video dropped twice. I hope Yuneec fixes this quick. Hey I think it's better pics with my camera. Fly safe.

I don't get dontflystupid's hall of shame video 2 , which is someone riding down a mountain trail on a bike .
Why is riding a mountain bike a stupid thing to do, and anything to do with flying ?.

Last edited:
So it sounds like it may be a firmware problem. There's good improvements all around with the new FW but this huge drop in range is a major problem not something I'd consider a small issue.

Anyone else running a FPVLR or DBS experiencing the same issue?

Ha! Last night I got out to 1200 ft and the video started breaking up. There was a tree about 25 ft. in front of me that partially blocked view of the copter, so I chalked it up to that, but agree the range is much less, trees or no trees.

No issues here. I have flown mine to 6500 ft out at 250 ft alt yesterday with DBS antenna. I started experiencing intermittent video feed loss after approaching 5000ft. On the way back, I experienced connection issues .. loss telemetry info, RTH kicked in. Did not regain control until the drone was closer to home point. Keep in mind that this was done in a big wide open field

No issues here. I have flown mine to 6500 ft out at 250 ft alt yesterday with DBS antenna. I started experiencing intermittent video feed loss after approaching 5000ft. On the way back, I experienced connection issues .. loss telemetry info, RTH kicked in. Did not regain control until the drone was closer to home point. Keep in mind that this was done in a big wide open field

The RTH function must've changed with this new FW. Noticed the same thing that it would not allow you to reconnect with the H until it's much closer to you even though it's clearly in view and should be connected. Super annoying

My only problem is range up ! Since I have done the firm ware upgrade it seems as if I have no ceiling height limit..... Anyone else experience this ?

As I commented earlier, I lost signal at 1600 ft in an area I had easily reached 2500 ft without a hiccup.

I don't get dontflystupid's hall of shame video 2 , which is someone riding down a mountain trail on a bike .
Why is riding a mountain bike a stupid thing to do, and anything to do with flying ?.

Agreed, it's a GoPro on a bike mount - no drone involved.

Since it seems some people have no range issues and others are, did some further testing in open fields. This time was able to get the H out to 5000 ft before I turned it around. I suspect that the new FW doesn't actually reduce the range but if there is any signal loss it kicks into return mode a bit too quickly giving the impression of lost range. This is more noticeable in urban environments with trees, buildings and interference.

I guess I should clarify. I was losing telemetry AND video feed at 1600 ft where I had it just fine at 2500 ft before the FW upgrade.

I guess I should clarify. I was losing telemetry AND video feed at 1600 ft where I had it just fine at 2500 ft before the FW upgrade.
Is this with stock antennae or long range ones? I haven't seen issues with the video. It may help to reset/rebind the camera and remove/reinstall the antennae. Otherwise it's wait and see till the next FW.

Clearly your range issue is all in your head as is mine! How could it even be possible a firmware update wouldn't affect all craft the same? I think this is why when a new firmware is being worked on they only test it with one craft and probably only one time because if it works on one the first time it must work for all every time (kidding obviously :) My video feed broke up and no RTH because I still had telemetry apparently but the point is my video feed used to have better range then the telemetry and now it doesn't. This scenario has happened with DJI updates as well, it doesn't always affect every updater. I think another user posted they (Yuneec) know of this a fix is being worked on. We are indeed guinea pigs :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval