Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

New typhoon H battery

I dunno, stuff like that really intrigues me. For instance, if I put 520 arms and motors on the 480, what kind of Frankenstein would I get?:p
The evil kind from ****. Seriously, this is something I thought about as well, but I wanted the flight characteristics of the Plus more than the added power. I would question if the main board ESCs are up to the task. It also occurred to me to try just the longer arms with the 480 motors spinning the bigger props. Was going to try that on Frankenphoon, but lost interest when I got the Plus.

Arm size... meh. It's all about how many megapixels your package has... :cool:

Yeah, no those batteries are specific to the 520 and the H Plus... they cannot be used on your Typhoon H.

You may want to look at these UltraX batteries... they give performance equal to the OEM

UltraX Replacement LiPo for Yuneec Typhoon H

Eagle that is false information buddy. H520 and H Plus batteries can be used in the Ty H they just give a different voltage reading which you have to be aware of.
Charging them requires different balance leads though.

Reactions: Steve Carr
If I were needing to get some new batteries for my H, I would not hesitate to get the Ultrax. I have had one along side my two stock Yuneec batteries for almost two years with around 300 flights. It still gives me 14 minutes of flight time. AT 70 bucks a pop they're the best bang for the buck. ;)

Oh, and good to see you again Chad.

Reactions: NorWiscPilot
Personally, I would like to see the specs on the voltage regulators before putting a 17.2v battery into a machine which expects a 16.6v max battery. (ok, 16.8v if we believe @Steve Carr all the time. I am finally getting some of my batteries to show 16.7v after several cycles using the Venom Dual Pro charger instead of the Venom Typhoon Pro 4 bank system).

I do realize there is only a .4v difference, but... if the specs say the higher voltage was not in the design, then we run the risk of over stressing a critical component, do we not?

I also agree with Ty. Still having good results with my Ultrax, but... I seem to be noticing one or two (of my 3) are not holding up (flight time wise) to my slightly puffed original 3rd and 4th packs. (*see note below.)

I am recording the progress of a cabin build this winter and am making extensive use of Tuna's UAV Toolbox. What that means is, i am flying the same mission over and over. I am finding, with consecutive flights in the same conditions, one or two of my Ultrax are having me abort the mission rather than take a chance of being out too far. When I do get the craft back, the packs rebound to the typical 15.2v to 15.4v, which is what I normally see due to my "be home by 14.8v" guideline.

Now, please do not take this as an indictment of the Ultrax. I love them, especially when, with patience, we can get them for under $50 (USD). I am just saying that in my experience, all packs will take on their own characteristics and thus we need to make sure we monitor and are aware. If I need an extended flight, at least right now, I know to use my two year old packs. I also know I need to pay close attention to some other packs to see if my perceptions are correct or if I am just imagining things.

Happy flying!

Jeff

*Regarding the "slightly puffed" statement: For those just coming upon these discussions, please search for LiPo battery care posts. There is plenty of discussion regarding the need to know whether any apparent "ballooning" of the battery pack nameplate(s) is due to actual expansion of the battery cells themselves, or whether the plates have deformed due to the heating and cooling of the packs during use, charging, and cool down.

The two year old packs I refer to above have a very noticeable ballooning of the nameplates, but... there is plenty of give when one presses them. They are also the best performing packs in my thirteen pack inventory.

Disclaimer: every pilot is responsible for the care, feeding, and evaluation of their own fuel cells. Anything discussed here is for exactly that... discussion and experience sharing only.

Personally, I would like to see the specs on the voltage regulators before putting a 17.2v battery into a machine which expects a 16.6v max battery. (ok, 16.8v if we believe @Steve Carr all the time. I am finally getting some of my batteries to show 16.7v after several cycles using the Venom Dual Pro charger instead of the Venom Typhoon Pro 4 bank system).

I do realize there is only a .4v difference, but... if the specs say the higher voltage was not in the design, then we run the risk of over stressing a critical component, do we not?

I also agree with Ty. Still having good results with my Ultrax, but... I seem to be noticing one or two (of my 3) are not holding up (flight time wise) to my slightly puffed original 3rd and 4th packs. (*see note below.)

I am recording the progress of a cabin build this winter and am making extensive use of Tuna's UAV Toolbox. What that means is, i am flying the same mission over and over. I am finding, with consecutive flights in the same conditions, one or two of my Ultrax are having me abort the mission rather than take a chance of being out too far. When I do get the craft back, the packs rebound to the typical 15.2v to 15.4v, which is what I normally see due to my "be home by 14.8v" guideline.

Now, please do not take this as an indictment of the Ultrax. I love them, especially when, with patience, we can get them for under $50 (USD). I am just saying that in my experience, all packs will take on their own characteristics and thus we need to make sure we monitor and are aware. If I need an extended flight, at least right now, I know to use my two year old packs. I also know I need to pay close attention to some other packs to see if my perceptions are correct or if I am just imagining things.

Happy flying!

Jeff

*Regarding the "slightly puffed" statement: For those just coming upon these discussions, please search for LiPo battery care posts. There is plenty of discussion regarding the need to know whether any apparent "ballooning" of the battery pack nameplate(s) is due to actual expansion of the battery cells themselves, or whether the plates have deformed due to the heating and cooling of the packs during use, charging, and cool down.

The two year old packs I refer to above have a very noticeable ballooning of the nameplates, but... there is plenty of give when one presses them. They are also the best performing packs in my thirteen pack inventory.

Disclaimer: every pilot is responsible for the care, feeding, and evaluation of their own fuel cells. Anything discussed here is for exactly that... discussion and experience sharing only.

I have 2 original batteries that need to be replaced they also no signs of puffiness but flight time is getting on my nerves. I do have 1 puffy battery that I use strictly for my 15 min GPS download prior to each flight. I just really want to return back to my old flight time expectation days. I’m
Lucky to get 10 min out of the 2 batteries o have. Thanks for all the input. Look forward to hearing more about the test. But at $200 a battery for the new yuneec brand I think I’ll buy one of the 6700 batteries and one of the ultamax batteries. I also need a new dual charger. Mine sucks!!

With extensive electronics design in my background, I'm having a hard time believing that a margin of +.4 volts wasn't designed into whatever regulator they used. I doubt Yuneec designed a special regulator for their products, typically components like this are sourced from existing manufacturers. Standard regulator ICs have a fairly wide range of regulation with plenty of headroom for protection. Furthermore, consumer grade regulators ranges are never rated (or designed) to the tenth of a volt, integers to the right of the decimal are rounded. If we round off 0.4volts off we get 0.0 volts. I also doubt that when sourcing a regulator Yuneec picked one with no headroom, and I'm calling 0.4 volts ZERO headroom. For the sake of argument let's round it up to 1 volt, still not enough margin for safe headroom. No designer/engineer would find this an acceptable margin. -I do realize we are talking about the Chinese, but still.

I cannot see any reason why using the HV battery would be detrimental in any way. Honestly, I'm not sure that .04 volts will equate into any significant increase in flight time. You can loose that much on a power up cycle and waiting for a Sat count. Yet, I will do some testing on the subject, and report back if I find any reason why this would not be an acceptable practice. The only thing unacceptable about this is the price of the LiHV Batterie$! With that in mind, why would you bother?

Last edited:
I'm not sure that .04 volts will equate into any significant increase in flight time.
Right. That rated Watt hour is the same for both batteries so it seems unlikely to have any affect on flight time. The most significant effect is on the wallet.

Reactions: ChadCloses
If I were needing to get some new batteries for my H, I would not hesitate to get the Ultrax. I have had one along side my two stock Yuneec batteries for almost two years with around 300 flights. It still gives me 14 minutes of flight time. AT 70 bucks a pop they're the best bang for the buck. ;)

Oh, and good to see you again Chad.

Not trying to hijack a thread or bash Ultra X (waiting on two "new ones" to arrive) but thought I would link this thread here as an FYI for anyone that hasn't seen it. This is a recent issue that at least three members on here have experienced with the Ultra X that were purchased from Amazon third party, Gensace Tattu through Amazon and EBay.

Once refunded, I tried to order two new ones direct forms Genace Tattu website and was told they wouldn't have any for at least 4-5 months and even then unsure if this is just a temporary delay.

I hope my new ones work as they should!

Ultrax Battery Rapid Voltage Drop

Todd

Right. That rated Watt hour is the same for both batteries so it seems unlikely to have any affect on flight time. The most significant effect is on the wallet.
The realized benefit of this extra voltage is the ability to deliver more power to the motors. But how much more? A half a volt? That's little more at first with a fully charged battery for sure, however we will only realize this extra voltage in a punch-out or a full speed burst -with a fully charged battery. After a minute or two it would drain enough to be no different than the 480 LiPo. Personally I doubt if my senses would perceive this small bonus in power or not, even if punch-outs and full speed bursts were something I ever did. Somehow punch-outs and speed bursts don't find their way into video very often.
...And that's good thing!;)

Last edited:
The realized benefit of this extra voltage is the ability to deliver more power to the motors. But how much more? A half a volt? That's little more at first with a fully charged battery for sure, however we will only realize this extra voltage in a punch-out or a full speed burst -with a fully charged battery. After a minute or two it would drain enough to be no different that the 480 LiPo. Personally I doubt if my senses would perceive this small bonus in power or not, even if punch-outs and full speed bursts were something I ever did. Somehow punch-outs and speed bursts don't find their way int0 video very often.
...And that's good thing!;)

You got that right, DCH! Except... when the effect is cool!

Very tricky to do, at least for me. I have some footage of the snows of last winter. Before the snow machines spoiled my pristine bay, I was able to get just a few low level runs, with the camera pointed rearward, capturing the vortex effect with the light snow kicking up while the sun lit up the crystals just right. Not much to brag about as yet, but gave me something to anticipate trying again this winter.

Now if we would convince mother nature that a week of high 30s and 40s, (F) in January, is NOT a welcome break. We need cold and snow! The establishments dependent on winter activities depend on it!

:cool:

Jeff

Reactions: DCH
ultra x batteries are not even on the manufacture website any more. and appears venom dropped the h battery as well only has the batter for the q500. going to have to see if morpilot and power extra still offers them. anyone in Europe side of the globe have any better luck with yuneec h batteries. Want to see if it is related to china us trade issue. found one other h480 battery that's not gifi. the maker is Cameron sino that has it listed on their main web site.

Last edited:
Reactions: Satdiver
I just went to Amazon to check out their batteries and see if I’d have to pay tax if I ordered through them. Out of nowhere it says I had $131.00 gift card in there. I have NO idea where that cane from or how long it’s been there. Lol

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval