Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Part 107 Recurrent

Reaction score
With the whole covid thing, the FAA testing sites have been closed. My license expires this month (June), and from what I have been seeing per a SFAR if your license expires in May/June, you can take a test at the FAASafety.gov site, and recert for six months. Other area's though say to do this, you have to be part 61 (aircraft pilot) certified. If you are not Part 61, this is only good as a refresher. Is anyone up on exactly how this is all working, and if taking Activities, Courses, Seminars & Webinars - ALC_Content - FAA - FAASTeam - FAASafety.gov without a part 61 is worth the time, outside of being a good refresher.

So just to add to the fun, there is this Special Federal Aviation Regulation (SFAR). Limited Extension of Relief for Certain Persons and Operations During the Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) Public Health Emergency If you dig through it, you come across the below, which is a pretty small window about the Part 107 if it is expiring in May/June. I did the online test, which does let you keep guessing till you get it all right. According to this, I should be good for another 6 months, but I have no way to prove that outside of a piece of paper that it had me print out.

4. AERONAUTICAL KNOWLEDGE RECENCY (§ 107.65)

Section 107.65 requires remote pilots certificated under part 107 to establish recency of knowledge every 24 calendar months. To meet the recency of knowledge requirement per § 107.65(a) or (b), remote pilots must pass an FAA knowledge test at a knowledge testing center. The initial and recurrent knowledge tests required by § 107.65(a) or (b) cover the comprehensive list of knowledge areas specified in § 107.73(a) or (b), respectively. Section 107.65(c) allows remote pilots who are also certificated under part 61 and have a current flight review in accordance with § 61.56 to complete online training to meet aeronautical knowledge recency. The initial or recurrent training course covers the condensed list of knowledge areas specified in § 107.74(a) or (b), respectively, because the part 61 pilot who has a current flight review has already demonstrated knowledge of many of the topic areas tested on the UAS knowledge test.[32]

Under the extraordinary circumstances of the COVID-19 public health emergency, eligible remote pilots who would normally establish recency of knowledge in accordance with § 107.65(a) or (b) may complete online training as an alternative if required to establish recency between April 2020 and September 2020. The remote pilot may complete the FAA-developed initial or recurrent online training courses [33] at www.faasafety.gov one time to establish knowledge recency for six calendar months.[34] As previously stated, the initial or recurrent online training course covers a condensed list of UAS-specific knowledge areas because it is intended for persons who hold part 61 pilot certificates and satisfy the flight review requirements of § 61.56. The FAA finds that, for a limited duration of time, allowing remote pilots to complete one of these online training courses is an adequate alternative to passing a knowledge test. However, because these courses do not include all the knowledge areas under § 107.73(a) or (b) that a remote pilot is required to be tested on every 24 calendar months, the remote pilot will need to establish knowledge recency in accordance with § 107.65 upon conclusion of the six calendar months. Remote pilots who qualify to establish recency of aeronautical knowledge per § 107.65(c) are not included in this relief. Pilots who use the relief from § 61.56 in this SFAR amendment may establish recency of aeronautical knowledge per § 107.65(c) and retain remote pilot privileges for 24 calendar months.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval