Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Power loss resulting in spectacular deconstruction of C23

Yeah, that's BAD!! But I notice you were able to get the black disks off of the side hubs without leaving any marks at all. How did you do that?
I do not know! Lol it took me ages to work out where they came from. i figure it if so hard it just all fell apart. ?.

Hi Guys. Attached is my flight log. hopefully you guys can make more sense of it than me. I've noticed another odd issue with the drone, The GPS switch is off, i cannot calibrate the compass, i cannot set the max height and although it does take off and fly its drifting like its not got a lock. I thought i plugged the GPS module into the wrong socket, but i found a photo in this forum that shows i had it in the correct one. there is a red light flashing on the module. is there a way of testing?

Attachments

• Flight2Log.zip
    67 MB · Views: 5
My GPS must be working as i have locked on to satellites. With it sat on my bench in the workshop, the GS has 7 sats and the drone has 9. I still cant run a compass calibration, turn the GPS switch on or set the maximum altitude. What's also odd is even though the drone is on the bench, according to the controller, the drone is moving away from me, the distance goes from 0 up to 400m then comes back.

Attachments

• 196243610_146795497390927_3813212137099632361_n.jpg
    196243610_146795497390927_3813212137099632361_n.jpg
    194.5 KB · Views: 9
  • 195308357_1425494571182707_1303842040107948101_n.jpg
    195308357_1425494571182707_1303842040107948101_n.jpg
    188.6 KB · Views: 9
I still cant run a compass calibration, turn the GPS switch on or set the maximum altitude.
Compass calibration, GPS switch and maximum altitude settings all go through the camera WiFi. You won't be able to do anything with those until the camera is replaced.

Not sure about the GPS drift. Indoors is not a good test. And GPS generally works better after leaving the ground. Still, 400m seems really excessive under any conditions good enough to get a GPS lock.

Reactions: Microsmith
By the way, a quick look at your data shows a sudden, complete loss of data for about 5 seconds. When data returns, it shows voltage at 5.0 volts briefly, then returns to full voltage. One could speculate the battery lost connection in flight, and then reconnected on impact, but I would wait for a better analysis from some of the members that are better at data interpretation.

Microsmith H Plus Crash.png
Taking a look at the telemetry data I never see a disconnection of the battery. I do see voltage drop at the initial climb to about 3 meters. There is some minor maneuvering of the aircraft at the 3 meter altitude and battery level is commensurate with the actions being performed. Then about a minute into the flight the throttle is lowered and the altitude is halved to about 1.5 meters then just a second later the throttle is again lowered and it appears the aircraft is flown into the ground and another voltage drop is experienced as the impact occurred.

I do not know if you use the neck strap that comes with the kit to hold the ST16S, but if so it is possible it caught on the throttle control and inadvertently caused the crash. What I DO NOT see is a failure of the battery to provide voltage to sustain flight.

This is the data gap I was talking about. But it occurs to me I may not be looking at the correct flight. Can you look at the flight times/dates and clarify which was the crash flight? I was looking at 00042.

Attachments

• Data Gap.jpg
    Data Gap.jpg
    647.4 KB · Views: 9
  • Flight numbers.jpg
    Flight numbers.jpg
    355.3 KB · Views: 9
I have an E90 which suffered a heavy landing, it connects to video but doesn't respond to gimbal controls, I replaced it with a new one meaning to try and repair it but never did, I might sell if its of any interest to you

This is the data gap I was talking about. But it occurs to me I may not be looking at the correct flight. Can you look at the flight times/dates and clarify which was the crash flight? I was looking at 00042.
I saw flight 00041 as being the crash. I’ll look again as I may have looked at the wrong flight.

Flight 00040 took place at about 04:13 and lasted 10 minutes. Flight 00041 took place at 05:05 and lasted about 1 minute. Flight 00042 took place at 05:08 and lasted just a few seconds and had the power interruption. This does not match with the original description in post #1, so we will need clarification from @Microsmith

Climbing the mountain i knew there was gonna be a lot of movement on the backpack cos the paths are very rocky. I was getting worried that something could accidently tap the power button when the drone was packed away in the back pack and deplete the battery. Lesson learnt, I wont be doing that again tho! ?
Lots if beautiful shots and great video. The music takes you back to ancient Wales. Good job!

Compass calibration, GPS switch and maximum altitude settings all go through the camera WiFi. You won't be able to do anything with those until the camera is replaced.

Not sure about the GPS drift. Indoors is not a good test. And GPS generally works better after leaving the ground. Still, 400m seems really excessive under any conditions good enough to get a GPS lock.
Ah yeah i just had it sat on the bench whilst i took another look inside to see if there was anything else that was obviously broken and the really odd and long drift was something i just noted.

That explains the not being able to use the GPS switch. i thought i read somewhere that you could still fly without a camera, but i guess that's only in manual mode? Any idea why its like that?

By the way, a quick look at your data shows a sudden, complete loss of data for about 5 seconds. When data returns, it shows voltage at 5.0 volts briefly, then returns to full voltage. One could speculate the battery lost connection in flight, and then reconnected on impact, but I would wait for a better analysis from some of the members that are better at data interpretation.
Thank you for looking it. really appreciate it.

Taking a look at the telemetry data I never see a disconnection of the battery. I do see voltage drop at the initial climb to about 3 meters. There is some minor maneuvering of the aircraft at the 3 meter altitude and battery level is commensurate with the actions being performed. Then about a minute into the flight the throttle is lowered and the altitude is halved to about 1.5 meters then just a second later the throttle is again lowered and it appears the aircraft is flown into the ground and another voltage drop is experienced as the impact occurred.

I do not know if you use the neck strap that comes with the kit to hold the ST16S, but if so it is possible it caught on the throttle control and inadvertently caused the crash. What I DO NOT see is a failure of the battery to provide voltage to sustain flight

Many thanks for looking at the logs, Sorry for the delay in replying, we've been moving house. :(

I couldn't make any sense of the Flight Log Evaluation tool, so i started using QGround Control. casting my mind back this is what happened.

First flight:
When we got to a peak was at 05:16 i took a picture of the drone on the ground with my phone.(screenshot below with time stamp)

195800298_556262362037151_748426280271236470_n.jpg

Flight 40 is the log from the ST16.

This is the flight as extracted from the drone, i don't know why but there is 1 hour mismatch between the two.

This was a successful flight, the footage capture is what i used to create the video posted above. I packed the drone up and headed further up the mountain, When we got a bit closer to the highest peak i stopped to capture some rolling mist.

Second Flight:
I believe this would be flight 41 from the log of the ST16

This is the log from the drone.

Its only a couple of minutes flight because as i started flying outwards i noticed i couldn't record any footage, the SD wasn't registering. It did that from time to time and meant id have to return it home and reboot the drone. i landed ok and rebooted. the third flight is where it all went wrong.

Third Flight:
The one where it fell out the sky.
Third flight would be flight 42 from the log of the ST16.

This is the log from the drone.

I remember launching upwards and flying outwards off the side of the mountain then it just dropped like a brick.

Last edited:
I have an E90 which suffered a heavy landing, it connects to video but doesn't respond to gimbal controls, I replaced it with a new one meaning to try and repair it but never did, I might sell if its of any interest to you
Maybe, how much are you looking to get for it?

Hi guys. it's been almost a year since i last commented on this thread. So sorry for not reporting back earlier but i had to take the convo off line while i investigated further.

After i read some of your comments regarding the logs, i delved further into them and noticed a couple of logs that didn't add up. The logs in question were from the drones first test flight in china, and a 2nd test flight of it being test flown here in the UK at Yuneec Uk.

These logs stuck out as quite concerning, as they dated back to 2018, however, i bought the drone as a brand new model, recently manufactured and imported into the uk in 2021, i was actually on a waiting list for 6 months before i received it. So i went to Yuneec Uk, they imported it and i was hoping they could enlighten me if i gave them the serial number, and it turns out they did indeed import the drone into the Uk in 2018, then sold it to Drones Direct, where apparently it sat on a warehouse shelf for almost 3 years. ok, these models haven't change much so its not a biggy, but it now does make a lot of sense as to why the drones firmware was really old. In addition, Yuneec Uk ran the serial numbers of the batteries, and they were also manufactured in 2018. so been boxed up, not maintained.

I took the info you guys gave me, and the info i got from the logs and the info Yuneec Uk gave me and i got in contact with Drones Direct who led me on a merry dance, admitting they were in the wrong for selling me a 3 year old drone, but denying liability cos they said its now smashed up. they asked me to send it to them so they could examine it further, so i did, when they saw the extent of the damage they really tired to push the blame towards me as operator error. however, i stood by my claim that the batteries were old, not maintained and went faulty during flight, i further protested that i bought a drone from them, as brand new because the last thing i wanted to do was buy something used with unreliable batteries that could drop out the sky without warning, and it looks like thats exactly what i got.

After a while, it looked like i was getting no where, so i went looking for help from the credit card company i used to buy the drone with. They said it was irrelevant that it was smashed up, but was relevant that it was 3 years old and interesting that i could prove it, so i sent them the logs and other info, and they did a charge back. a day later Drones direct contacted me to say sorry.

You've all been very helpful, i initially came here looking for spare parts, but now have my money back and i now have a brand new H3 drone, bought from Leicester Drones in the UK.

Thank you all for your help.

Great outcome. Persistence did pay off, but it's unfortunate that the dealer didn't make good on it in the beginning. Congratulations on getting a proper new drone at last. Good flying...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kubetlegal