Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Prospective Buyer

Reaction score
Hello all, I am looking into purchasing a Yuneec Typhoon H. I have owned a couple 3dr Solo's, I like them but I don't like where the company is headed. So that brings me here, I am looking for some alternatives and want to know from you real owners and pilots out there about some of the good and bad about the Typhoon H.

I have done a little bit of research and I have a few main concerns.

1. It seems a lot of the reviews I have been reading/watching are having issues with reaching the max range, most of them get to about 1km and then begin to loose connection, is this the case or am I looking at outdated reviews that have been fixed through updates?

2. Hovering and stability, similar to the first one, it seems a lot of the Typhoon H's wouldn't hover or hold position very well were those just bad ones or is this a common thing?

3. The folding arms, do these show any signs of wear and tear or weakness in they system? Do the wires inside begin to fray and weaken after a while of owning this unit?

4. The camera, when flying the Solo with the GoPro Hero 4 Black I would mostly film in 2.7k 60fps, does the Typhoon have this setting most of what I see is 4K @ 30fps but don't see anything about 2.7k.

5. The controller (ground station ST16 whatever you want to call it) looks very large and heavy does it get too heavy to hold while out in the field or is it not really that bad. I also have a few concerns over the usability of it as the screen doesn't seem to show a whole lot of info other than some minor battery and what you are looking at.

6. Not a big deal but I heard there was a 3rd party equipment bay, is there any 3rd party gear released yet and if so what?

I hope I'm not asking too much I just want to be informed. Thanks in advanced.

1. It seems a lot of the reviews I have been reading/watching are having issues with reaching the max range, most of them get to about 1km and then begin to loose connection, is this the case or am I looking at outdated reviews that have been fixed through updates? RANGE: Depends where you live and fly. The 1 Km sounds about right. You can increase it with aftermarket antennas.

2. Hovering and stability, similar to the first one, it seems a lot of the Typhoon H's wouldn't hover or hold position very well were those just bad ones or is this a common thing? Very stable craft, especially in strong winds.

3. The folding arms, do these show any signs of wear and tear or weakness in they system? Do the wires inside begin to fray and weaken after a while of owning this unit? Much too new to answer that question. I've had one for 3 months and there are no signs of wear.

4. The camera, when flying the Solo with the GoPro Hero 4 Black I would mostly film in 2.7k 60fps, does the Typhoon have this setting most of what I see is 4K @ 30fps but don't see anything about 2.7k. No 2.7K.

5. The controller (ground station ST16 whatever you want to call it) looks very large and heavy does it get too heavy to hold while out in the field or is it not really that bad. I also have a few concerns over the usability of it as the screen doesn't seem to show a whole lot of info other than some minor battery and what you are looking at. ST16 weighs the same as most controllers that have a tablet (not heavy). Telemetry info is sufficient to fly. Camera info is also sufficient. Was there something you were looking for in the display?

6. Not a big deal but I heard there was a 3rd party equipment bay, is there any 3rd party gear released yet and if so what? As of today.... No 3rd party camera or batteries. There are 3rd party antennas, lens filters, props, cases, backpacks.

I like my H very much for what it is!
1.Buy an Inspire, has total range with Lightbridge.
2. Buy a Phantom 4, with two GPS's and IMU's it hoover like a Neanderthal frozen in time!
3. My folding arms after three month have no visable signs of wear n tear.
4. Buy a Inspire or Phantom 4 both will allow you to film in 2.7K , And in auto mode is still better than the CGO3+ in the highest manual setting you can set.
5. Buy a Typhoon H or Inspire or Phantom as the controller in your hands feels about the same and are both great! I do prefer the anti-glare screen on the ipad mini 4. So clear and visible in bright sunlight!
6. Buy the Inspire or Phantom 4, they both have many third party apps and software's and accessories.
Again, I love my Yuneec H, but if I was only allowed this moment in time to have and fly just one platform, hands down the DJI Inspire !
I say it like it is and nothing more! I hope Yuneec within the next couple years advances all their products to a higher level and I am sure they will persevere !
Wait a minute while I find my boxing gloves before all you bashers attack! LOL !:eek:

Last edited:
1. I don't care about BVLOS. I bought the H as a video platform, not long range flyer; been there, done that.
2. Two GPS's and IMU's have nothing to do with hover stability. It's the downward VPS that helps there, but only below 30 ft. In high wind, the H still wins hands down.
3. No problems with landing gear knock on wood
4. Um, I posted a P4 video done in Auto and renamed it as a Yuneec file. It doesn't look all that good. Our esteemed resident expert said a GP would be better. That said, I've learned much about manual settings. With a filter (yes, a P4 needs that too) and correct settings, my lens focus adjusted H puts out great video. I never use Auto on either except in no sun conditions occasionally.
5. I prefer not to spend an extra $400+ because DJI won't fix the Android incompatibility with their controller.
BEr9EIs.png

6. Litchi cannot replicate CCC smoothness of the H. 3DR Solo is still #1 for flight modes. Flying missions was never a consideration when choosing the H
as I've flown hundreds with my Arducopter stuff and Solo. For doing video/stills, I don't see where 3rd party apps with mission capability is of much use.

Living in wind alley, there is no comparison for which has better stability, VPS or not. The H makes the P4 look like a kite trying to fly away held by a thread. Over Lake Huron the wind can kick up suddenly and with the P4 I'm cautious when over the lake. I don't even bother taking the P4 out in 20+ mph wind; hand catching is for toy grade.

The Inspire is not a fair comparison. $2000 plus another $400+ for a [required] (mostly) iPad puts it at well out of range that most are willing to spend. The H has it all in one package at an affordable price that no other RTF can offer in its class. That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it. If OA is important, then the Inspire can't compete with the H with RS.

Thanks for the quick replies.

1. It seems a lot of the reviews I have been reading/watching are having issues with reaching the max range, most of them get to about 1km and then begin to loose connection, is this the case or am I looking at outdated reviews that have been fixed through updates? RANGE: Depends where you live and fly. The 1 Km sounds about right. You can increase it with aftermarket antennas.

2. Hovering and stability, similar to the first one, it seems a lot of the Typhoon H's wouldn't hover or hold position very well were those just bad ones or is this a common thing? Very stable craft, especially in strong winds.

3. The folding arms, do these show any signs of wear and tear or weakness in they system? Do the wires inside begin to fray and weaken after a while of owning this unit? Much too new to answer that question. I've had one for 3 months and there are no signs of wear.

4. The camera, when flying the Solo with the GoPro Hero 4 Black I would mostly film in 2.7k 60fps, does the Typhoon have this setting most of what I see is 4K @ 30fps but don't see anything about 2.7k. No 2.7K.

5. The controller (ground station ST16 whatever you want to call it) looks very large and heavy does it get too heavy to hold while out in the field or is it not really that bad. I also have a few concerns over the usability of it as the screen doesn't seem to show a whole lot of info other than some minor battery and what you are looking at. ST16 weighs the same as most controllers that have a tablet (not heavy). Telemetry info is sufficient to fly. Camera info is also sufficient. Was there something you were looking for in the display?

6. Not a big deal but I heard there was a 3rd party equipment bay, is there any 3rd party gear released yet and if so what? As of today.... No 3rd party camera or batteries. There are 3rd party antennas, lens filters, props, cases, backpacks.

That's kind of disappointing on the range and lack of 2.7k. What concerns me about the controller most is how user friendly is it to navigate menus and such and is all the info I need on the main screen.

2. Buy a Phantom 4, with two GPS's and IMU's it hoover like a Neanderthal frozen in time!
4. Buy a Inspire or Phantom 4 both will allow you to film in 2.7K , And in auto mode is still better than the CGO3+ in the highest manual setting you can set.
5. Buy a Typhoon H or Inspire or Phantom as the controller in your hands feels about the same and are both great! I do prefer the anti-glare screen on the ipad mini 4. So clear and visible in bright sunlight!
6. Buy the Inspire or Phantom 4, they both have many third party apps and software's and accessories.
Again, I love my Yuneec H, but if I was only allowed this moment in time to have and fly just one platform, hands down the DJI Inspire !
I say it like it is and nothing more! I hope Yuneec within the next couple years advances all their products to a higher level and I am sure they will persevere !
Wait a minute while I find my boxing gloves before all you bashers attack! LOL !:eek:

Yeah I can't go with the Inspire at this time because its simply too expensive for me. Out of the Typhoon H and the P4 which would you prefer?

1. I don't care about BVLOS. I bought the H as a video platform, not long range flyer; been there, done that.
2. Two GPS's and IMU's have nothing to do with hover stability. It's the downward VPS that helps there, but only below 30 ft. In high wind, the H still wins hands down.
4. Um, I posted a P4 video done in Auto and renamed it as a Yuneec file. It doesn't look all that good. Our esteemed resident expert said a GP would be better. That said, I've learned much about manual settings. With a filter (yes, a P4 needs that too) and correct settings, my lens focus adjusted H puts out great video. I never use Auto on either except in no sun conditions occasionally.
5. I prefer not to spend an extra $400+ because DJI won't fix the Android incompatibility with their controller.
BEr9EIs.png

6. Litchi cannot replicate CCC smoothness of the H. 3DR Solo is still #1 for flight modes. Flying missions was never a consideration when choosing the H
as I've flown hundreds with my Arducopter stuff and Solo. For doing video/stills, I don't see where 3rd party apps with mission capability is of much use.

Living in wind alley, there is no comparison for which has better stability, VPS or not. The H makes the P4 look like a kite trying to fly away held by a thread. Over Lake Huron the wind can kick up suddenly and with the P4 I'm cautious when over the lake. I don't even bother taking the P4 out in 20+ mph wind; hand catching is for toy grade.

The Inspire is not a fair comparison. $2000 plus another $400+ for a [required] (mostly) iPad puts it at well out of range that most are willing to spend. The H has it all in one package at an affordable price that no other RTF can offer in its class. That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it. If OA is important, then the Inspire can't compete with the H with RS.

Thanks for the reply, I already have an Iphone 6s and an Ipad so that extra cost isn't really a factor for me. I'm not really concerned about the landing gear but more the folding arms for the motors if those show any signs of wear on the hinges or the wires. This would be a sUAS used professionally, we currently have two 3dr Solo's right now but am looking at replacing one of them because of the state the company is is right now. Camera quality is an issue, with the GoPro it seemed like no filters or anything were necessary though I know many people fly with them, most of the color and what not is fixed in post processing in either photoshop or premier. However I do have a question about the camera. What file type does it save as? With the GoPro I can get raw video format which I love but unfortunately now with photos that just saves as a standard JPEG if I remember correctly.

Speaking of, how are the still with this sUAS and camera, with the Solo when I switched into photo mode the field of view would change and the props would be in the photos even when still, is this the case with the Typhoon H as well?

Last edited:
Also just curios what is the average flight time that you all get out of the Typhoon H? All I have been able to find are hover tests and it stays in the air for only about 19 minutes or so, just wondering what real world flight time is. Another thought as well, does the controller save the telemetry data like the Solo controller does? I currently use dronelogbook.com and I am able to simply upload my flight logs into it and it will auto update my logbook. Wondering if this can be done or not. Thanks!

Thanks for the reply, I already have an Iphone 6s and an Ipad so that extra cost isn't really a factor for me. I'm not really concerned about the landing gear but more the folding arms for the motors if those show any signs of wear on the hinges or the wires. This would be a sUAS used professionally, we currently have two 3dr Solo's right now but am looking at replacing one of them because of the state the company is is right now. Camera quality is an issue, with the GoPro it seemed like no filters or anything were necessary though I know many people fly with them, most of the color and what not is fixed in post processing in either photoshop or premier. However I do have a question about the camera. What file type does it save as? With the GoPro I can get raw video format which I love but unfortunately now with photos that just saves as a standard JPEG if I remember correctly.

It's too bad about the Solo because it truly has the best flight control system. It's possible Solo will be merged with Ardupilot in which case would be a good thing. The next time there's a big sale for $600 with gimbal I'm buying one (already had two). 3DR is done with the consumer end, but I wouldn't count them dead. So far they've provided everything promised. Throwing consumer flyers under the bus would not bode well for their Enterprise reputation.

I'd pick Mickeyboo's brain on the H's camera. He really knows his stuff. There are others much more knowledgeable about the camera settings and such than me.

The H can save in raw. I've been moving away from that because of the time necessary to post process which I detest. Instead I'm learning how to get decent video by mastering (to the best of my ability) the manual settings and planning my shots better. However, the pro's seem to always post process so I'm probably not your best choice to ask about cameras.

It's too bad about the Solo because it truly has the best flight control system. It's possible Solo will be merged with Ardupilot in which case would be a good thing. The next time there's a big sale for $600 with gimbal I'm buying one (already had two). 3DR is done with the consumer end, but I wouldn't count them dead. So far they've provided everything promised. Throwing consumer flyers under the bus would not bode well for their Enterprise reputation.

I'd pick Mickeyboo's brain on the H's camera. He really knows his stuff. There are others much more knowledgeable about the camera settings and such than me.

The H can save in raw. I've been moving away from that because of the time necessary to post process which I detest. Instead I'm learning how to get decent video by mastering (to the best of my ability) the manual settings and planning my shots better. However, the pro's seem to always post process so I'm probably not your best choice to ask about cameras.

Thanks for the input, what I am really disappointed with in 3dr is their customer service and lack of caring as well as the fact that they just lost a team of their top devs to Ardupilot. I have had an RMA from a fly away active for over a month because they are out of both the Solo and the gimbal units, and everytime I talk to them its the same story of them being out of stock and having no idea when they will get more. What is even worse is I am not the only one having this issue, if you look through the 3dr forums a lot of people are having the same issue.

The H is what it is. I was out flying yesterday in reasonably windy weather and the results are faultless. We give Yuneec stick for the camera quality but with a bit of knowledge (do look at Captain Drone's tips.no 3 and 4) the results are perfectly good. The gimbal really is good.I have a crate of old gimbals from 3 years of seeking perfection on my home builds that never came near to the consistant performance of the CGO3+ unit.
For professional use the 5 motor flying is a good safety feature to have in your flight manual. The arms are solid and I had never realised that until one day when I did not fully click one in place the act of taking off is enough pressure to complete the action - another safety feature.

The difference in camera quality is very small between the P4 and the H. The Inspire x3 is not much better and if you go for the x5 you are heading into big bucks.

Batteries were one of the reasons I went for the H. The dumb H batteries need nothing more than standard Lipo care. The Phantom and Inspire batteries seemed at my time of purchase to be continually having issues and consequently firmware upgrades that lost me in their complexity, I did not feel I could cope with this regime - it may have calmed down now.
If you look on You Tube the latest batch of typical H video clips look good for most applications. The camera focus problem seems to have been mainly sorted out - my machine from July is pin sharp on a 4k Sony Tv. If you search for - Llanishen Golf Club Promo - on Youtube you can see some typical quality.

The recent firmware upgrade gives me solid VLOS for safe professional flying. My landing gear operation wifi disconnection issue has now gone away.

So being practical - not a fanbois - the H is delivering to my reasonably picky client's expectations.

Notice statements a few threads up like "With a camera adjustment" the H camera is comparable with a P4. The OP was not asking about, and I do not compare a out of the box sUAS as having to make mods and adjustments to reach the quality of one that is out of the box just as it is, no adjustments of camera lenses. Out of the box , "As Is" period. I can take any sUAS and with time and money turn it into something it was not designed to be!
Pull the Compass and IMU of your H, and then tell me it has nothing to do with stability. They all work in unison to allow your craft to even fly, need alone to hoover. And the OP stated the H, not pro! Another add on mod as the H Advanced has no IPS and IPS. It is a craft to surface sensor to keep it above the ground.
I have all three platforms and fly them all extensively and in no wind and heavy winds the H is not coming a mile close to the hoover of a P4 .
Like I said I enjoy and like the features of my H for what they are!

Last edited:
BEr9EIs.png

A here's Round One!

I have all three platforms and fly them all extensively and in no wind and heavy wings the H is not coming a mile close to the hoover of a P4 .!

I know the P4 is a noisy beast, but calling it a hoover?! ;)

So much depends on your expected use. If you're using it heavily, look at spares and battery costs - you'll need a couple extra. You might want pre-planned missions, in which case CCC is very impressive. The H uses the GPS Wizard to track a subject whereas the P4 needs line of sight. And so on...

The H got a lot of attention when it first launched, including some questionable reviews and some questions over build quality. Most of that has been fixed now, but the YouTube videos still hang around, so it's a little hard to judge what you would get if you ordered now. In particular, it looks like the camera is improved, both in terms of sharpness and firmware, and the controller is getting regular updates and new features. It's a real pleasure to use, with all the info you need to hand and a control for everything.

I "don't get" the stuff about drifting - the pro-DJI reviews compared the two drones at 'ceiling height', and without the IPS module, the Typhoon drifts more than the P4 (which has IPS built in). However, it's not much, and once you're above 20' they're both the same, depending on GPS. At that height, the small amount of drift you do get in ALL drones is barely noticeable on camera (and the Typhoon is a stunningly solid platform). So if you plan to do all your filming at 10' off the ground, save yourself a fortune and buy a selfie stick.

I've not flown my H long enough to say much about wear - after three months I'm still on my first set of blades, there are no scuff marks and the folding arms are rock solid. I'm under the impression that they allow repairs to be made much more easily than the single body design of the P4, but I'm not going to test that theory!

Reactions: LinsonW

Does the p4 have a dual gps ? , I thought in had only dual imu's.

Does the p4 have a dual gps ? , I thought in had only dual imu's.
It has dual Compass and dual IMU, Don't confuse GPS with Compass though, two separate babies! LOL !;)
Not towards you Peter , but to all! I LIKE my H and it has features that are not available on any of the DJI platforms. The OP asked a question and an opinion, And I gave him "Mine" and you all are entitled to give him "Yours" And please do so! It's really not anything to get wet below the belt about ! Just freedom of expression !;)

I owned and still do own (please someone buy them from me) 9 Phantoms which were customized with various lenses using GoPro's since I found the field of view of DJI's stock lens much too wide (just like stock lens of H and GoPro ). I think in higher winds the Phantoms are not as stable. I also used a Taranis radio and Lilliput Monitor on the DJI's, I had to do a lot of customizing to get what I wanted as far as good photos and videos. The H has the usual hiccups of a new release but Yuneec has been quite attentive at addressing most of the issues and it's design with quickly interchangeable parts is wonderful for someone who works in places where there is no service. I have thousands of dollars of DJI stuff that needs attending to but their service and support has for me always been dead on arrival so to speak...virtually non-existent. The service from Yuneec has been exceptional for me as has the pricing for the repairs. The existing camera on the H needs to have a lower field of view, and real raw with a higher bit rate for it's video. I always fly LOS to get the results I like but with a long range antenna set-up the H is great for those who need or want greater distance. I'm happy that there is a viable alternative to DJI and I hope Yuneec continues to be responsive to customer's desires like it has so far. For me with a better camera on the H it's game over for looking elsewhere for a better supported and flying drone for my purposes. I like the direction I see them heading...Sept. 19th we will all have to see what GoPro's drone offering will be like...I need small footprint drones with good portability which can easily be deployed with a good camera and thus far there is a gaping hole in that category waiting to be filled by someone who recognizes that potentially lucrative niche.

Reactions: DroneClone
Thanks for the input everybody. Now when people say camera tweaking, I have seen posts on here about people having to take off the lens and manually focus the camera. Is this typically what people are talking about or is there something else like just buying a new lens that fixes whatever issue(s) the camera is having, or any issues at all? With the stock lens on the H do the props tend to show up in either video or photos? They did with the 3dr and this made post processing a pain.

Some tweak and adjust their factory camera lens, other have been buying replacement lenses and correcting the camera issues! Sounds like a real great product! Buy it and out of the box, fix it and fly! LOL! Mine by the way is perfectly fine!:cool:

The props will infrequently show with rapid acceleration or deacceleration, there is also a setting for gimbal which gives you props almost all the time whereby it allows you to shoot up...I discovered this by accident and have made sure I never make that mistake again. Here is a link to three videos I shot having had the drone for only about a week and using a completely stock H....there are sharpening commands you can send to the gimbal...Yuneec sends the unit out with a sharpening setting of 5 I have changed it to 8...the highest is 10...this is the same sort of sharpening you can do in post....
here are the command to the gimbal /camera:
Sharpening Commands

http://192.168.42.1/cgi-bin/cgi?CMD=GET_SHARPNESS
http://192.168.42.1/cgi-bin/cgi?CMD=...RPNESS&value=0
http://192.168.42.1/cgi-bin/cgi?CMD=...RPNESS&value=5
http://192.168.42.1/cgi-bin/cgi?CMD=...PNESS&value=10

Last edited:
Another thing I was worried about, is in the reviews I had seen that the RTH is set at 10m off the ground and that can not be changed. Is this the case or was that changed in a software update?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval