Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Q500+ Crash Update

Reaction score
Some time ago my Q500+ stopped in mid-air, then fell straight down with props still turning slowly. No idea why, but for a refresher, here's the on-board video of the crash:
You'll see how it flew out about 300 ft, paused, went ahead a bit, then straight down, but not free fall. After it paused, no control other than camera tilt had any effect. I had to replace the body and the right front ESC board. After re-calibrating and all looking good on GUI, the right front corner light was flickering blue instead of solid white so I test flew it several times and all looked good.

Last Saturday, weather finally permitted another flight to same area and it went well. I've had problems with losing video connection at around 600 ft out, so installed the CD ST101 antenna booster on the new-to-me transmitter and am pleased with it. This flight was to around 1,300 ft and, tho' video connection flickered a couple of times and lag was pretty bad, all went well. Now I'm trying to figure how to get better video with the CG02+. Most of it is too dark, but raising sensitivity would blow out lighter areas.......Here's the video:
You'll notice how the right rear prop looks out of synch with the other 3, tho' it's the right front with the screwy light. The lurching takeoff backs up the idea of a right rear problem.....I think. It very nearly didn't make it off the ground....uh....rephrase that - it nearly lost a prop on takeoff. I did recalibrate all before flying.

I'm using the older Windows Movie Maker (not LMM) for editing and Could Not get the fool thing to add background music at low levels. After saving it defaults to loud. Any thoughts ?? Thanks Lars.

Last edited:
Your crash description sounds like a classic VRS (vortex ring state), props still turning but Q500 falling through its own turbulence. VRS has cost me about 14 or so busted props on my "Wall of Shame". The recovery is anything but an UP command. Command a hard forward/backward or lateral...and a little prayer that you've got enough ground clearance to recover helps. Beautiful footage before the crash.

Your crash description sounds like a classic VRS (vortex ring state), props still turning but Q500 falling through its own turbulence. VRS has cost me about 14 or so busted props on my "Wall of Shame". The recovery is anything but an UP command. Command a hard forward/backward or lateral...and a little prayer that you've got enough ground clearance to recover helps. Beautiful footage before the crash.

Thanks. That's a new one on me. When it stalled in mid-air I tried pushing both sticks every which way in desperation and nothing did anything......then it just started dropping. In the 2nd video you'll see where it went past the big hoodoo on the left, then out over a rocky area. Right at the edge, just short of the cliff, is where I finally found it. Phew. It were a job of work getting to it on icy rocks.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
simsone