Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Rakonheli Carbon fiber typhoon q500 upgrade kit

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me the value of yuneec q500 now that I've upgraded it with the Rakonheli carbon fiber kit? Any suggestions much appreciated

Take what I'm about to say with a grain of salt.

In adding a fairing, or LED lighting kit, to a motorcycle, it makes it look better, but it doesn't really increase the true value. When selling it to a dealership (for trade-in, or just selling it), some dealerships might give you a little extra because of it, but ONLY if they know they can mark up their selling price...most won't give anything extra. The true "value" of such an upgrade only comes into play when selling the bike directly, from one individual, to another...and, not even that is guaranteed. For the most part, all the person did is spend a lot of money to make the bike look better...but no "real value" was actually added.

In installing that CNC & carbon fiber kit, you've made it look better, but no "real value" had been added. I'm also going to assume that you've also made the drone heavier, thus performance had been ruined (you'll see shorter flight times from the same batteries). If you're planning on selling it, others will also realize this, thus, they'll be less likely to buy it.

Reactions: Outsidethebox
Firstly the kit is 250+ grams lighter? Carbon fiber is much lighter and Definitely much stronger, than plastic and more likely to suffer less damage in a crash ? The kit costs £230 ? Then theirs the st10+ (£100), the cgo3 4k (£200 camera , the 2 battery (£45 each?) all added ,and thay would be also adding value in my opinion?

You'll only really find out what it's worth when you come to sell it. Copters aren't really an investment, there consumer electronics with built in depreciation.

Upon reading,following your previous post, I am not so sure I would take a chance on buying this drone,if it were to go up for sale. I would think now that you have done all this work, Fly it and have fun with it.It is very soon after you put all this time and money into it that you would be proud to own, and fly such a bird.It does not matter what the market will support as far as price goes,I would think it should matter to you what the bird is worth to you and how proud you are to fly it.You have made this drone a true accomplishment of your hobby. Why sell it,or for that matter why care what it is worth to others. To you it should be a priceless part of your collection.I followed your previouspost ,building the drone and at times it seems like it was not going so well. I have a q500+ that I had to rebuild and was scared of it for a long time,lacking in the confidence of my work. I made a detailed plan of action and stuck to it. I had no real problems and felt good in finishing ,but not being a qualified expert,I always wondered if I screwed something up,that will show up later. It's a beautiful Q but still a "Crashed Q" and I would not feel it was worth very much. It is priceless to me.The reason you rebuilt the drone would be the determining factor for me in consideringpurchasing a drone like this. No offense of any kind intended her,just an honest perspective from a fellow drone hobbyist. Keith C.

Upon reading,following your previous post, I am not so sure I would take a chance on buying this drone,if it were to go up for sale. I would think now that you have done all this work, Fly it and have fun with it.It is very soon after you put all this time and money into it that you would be proud to own, and fly such a bird.It does not matter what the market will support as far as price goes,I would think it should matter to you what the bird is worth to you and how proud you are to fly it.You have made this drone a true accomplishment of your hobby. Why sell it,or for that matter why care what it is worth to others. To you it should be a priceless part of your collection.I followed your previouspost ,building the drone and at times it seems like it was not going so well. I have a q500+ that I had to rebuild and was scared of it for a long time,lacking in the confidence of my work. I made a detailed plan of action and stuck to it. I had no real problems and felt good in finishing ,but not being a qualified expert,I always wondered if I screwed something up,that will show up later. It's a beautiful Q but still a "Crashed Q" and I would not feel it was worth very much. It is priceless to me.The reason you rebuilt the drone would be the determining factor for me in consideringpurchasing a drone like this. No offense of any kind intended her,just an honest perspective from a fellow drone hobbyist. Keith C.
After years of modifying and upgrading all sorts of items I can completely agree with this comment. Your only salvation in trying to recover your additional improvement monetarily would be finding a buyer who understands the improvement(s) and is willing to pay for them.
Again, this is experience on many levels talking!

Reactions: Lubeck
I love my drone and flying it. But if I was to make the same rookie error I made last time? It Will soon become very expensive as it had. And decided to maybe get rid? But for what price, I have no idea? Thanks for your imput , much appreciated

Reactions: 7cyclops
And good morning again, in this hobby or in others changes made to the product rarely increase the market value.

I did my conversion to the RKH kit because I purchased mine as a salvage project, had a broken and poorly repaired airframe/body.

I was going to just transfer everything over to a stock body but none were available at the time.

It was an all day project for me, first removing the entire guts without damaging or cutting wires so I could lay everything out on the table, then I de-soldered the main power wires at the esc's for the install into the new airframe, started at 7am and finished at 8pm, then the next day I regretted putting lock-tite on all the screws because I took it all apart again to make changes,
After the changes were made and I was satisfied it was complete I then lock-tited all the screws I had removed.

But now I'm done with that work and it's all fun flying, it's quite an impressive kit.

When it's sitting next to my H on the table where I go flying they look so good, and of the same build style.

One other thing, the completed RKH kit is lighter than the stock bird.

click on the pic to enlarge it

Attachments

• 21880-9b9b17e0bd301f468ae6324b30bd281c.jpg
    21880-9b9b17e0bd301f468ae6324b30bd281c.jpg
    2.6 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Reactions: lowoctane
And good morning again, in this hobby or in others changes made to the product rarely increase the market value.

I did my conversion to the RKH kit because I purchased mine as a salvage project, had a broken and poorly repaired airframe/body.

I was going to just transfer everything over to a stock body but none were available at the time.

It was an all day project for me, first removing the entire guts without damaging or cutting wires so I could lay everything out on the table, then I de-soldered the main power wires at the esc's for the install into the new airframe, started at 7am and finished at 8pm, then the next day I regretted putting lock-tite on all the screws because I took it all apart again to make changes,
After the changes were made and I was satisfied it was complete I then lock-tited all the screws I had removed.

But now I'm done with that work and it's all fun flying, it's quite an impressive kit.

When it's sitting next to my H on the table where I go flying they look so good, and of the same build style.

One other thing, the completed RKH kit is lighter than the stock bird.

click on the pic to enlarge it

Not one to worry about the recoup of $’s of my toys, this upgrade really has my attention. I’ve watched numerous videos on these and am curious about the weight savings, and if you’ve chosen to go with the other battery, and if it increased your flying time?
“He who dies with the most toys still dies”. :cool:

• Haha
Reactions: Mike Irish
Honestly, right now with the Covid thing happening here and the fact that I never flew it before the swap I can't tell you if flight time has increased.
By the math it should, 100gm's lighter.

The flying field that I normally go to is closed, anywhere else that has some open space is so crowded it's hard to even find parking,

The project in its self is challenging enough for me to have had a ball doing it.

Then the second part of the project was rebuilding the case to now carry it, I have room for two more batteries, I up-graded my controller with an Iteliite package, and it fits into the case, the real danger is that there's room for more things in there,,,,,,,,
I'll do some pic's of it today then post.

Most likely you're asking yourself, "Why do the range extender if you don't know if there's going to be an improvement?",,,,,,,,,
Well, I guess it's because I ordered one for it after watching a bunch of vid's on Youtube, before discovering this forum, and just like the mountain, because it's there,,,,,,,,,,

Reactions: lowoctane
Honestly, right now with the Covid thing happening here and the fact that I never flew it before the swap I can't tell you if flight time has increased.
By the math it should, 100gm's lighter.

The flying field that I normally go to is closed, anywhere else that has some open space is so crowded it's hard to even find parking,

The project in its self is challenging enough for me to have had a ball doing it.

Then the second part of the project was rebuilding the case to now carry it, I have room for two more batteries, I up-graded my controller with an Iteliite package, and it fits into the case, the real danger is that there's room for more things in there,,,,,,,,
I'll do some pic's of it today then post.

Most likely you're asking yourself, "Why do the range extender if you don't know if there's going to be an improvement?",,,,,,,,,
Well, I guess it's because I ordered one for it after watching a bunch of vid's on Youtube, before discovering this forum, and just like the mountain, because it's there,,,,,,,,,,
You’re my kind of guy! Shoot the lock off!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DHYradio