Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

RealSence question

Reaction score
Anyone know if typhoon h pro with realsence ,wether the realsence will work,with gps off. Does it still detect obsticals in front and avoid them if gps is off.

I do not think so. From technical perspective it should not be working without GPS. That would require something like optical flow sensors which are not present on the Typhoon H. Without GPS the drone would not be able to determine its position. It might reject to get closer but it will certainly not fly around.

I have actually never tried but I believe it will simply refuse to activate obstacle avoidance at all.

Anyone know if typhoon h pro with realsence ,wether the realsence will work,with gps off. Does it still detect obsticals in front and avoid them if gps is off.
Well according to Yuneec's explanation on how the Real sense works it has nothing to do with the GPS. Real sense bar and its optics mounted on the front of the drone will build an optical 3D image in front if it showing the drone that there is an object in front if and then it will take an alternate route to avoid. But honestly you should really try to avoid flying with GPS disabled, at least on a commercial job. There may be times in which you have no choice, but be sure you are very comfortable flying with full control, it can be tricky with changing winds and downdraft created by the drone itself in tight areas.

Last edited:
Hi FalconOne, and Jannish,
The H needs the realsence module to be able to fly IPS. Which is indoor positioning system as it has downward facing optical sensors a d it has worked very well for me when I have done inside building inspections. It will drift with the breeze if there is any , just like flying the old quads before gps. It will also have o/a while in this mode , don't forget that when in IPS mode the bird Flys very slow ,which is what you want. There are youtube videos of how to use IPS and activeateing it on the St16.
You need to be a very competent flyer when useing this indoors, I have made my own protection cage for my H480 when doing this. When I have a little time soon I will post a few pictures of the unit I use.
Johnno Hennessy. Keep flying on the green side of the grass.

Reactions: Luciano
Well according to Yuneec's explanation on how the Real sense works it has nothing to do with the GPS. Real sense bar and its optics mounted on the front of the drone will build an optical 3D image in front if it showing the drone that there is an object in front if and then it will take an alternate route to avoid. But honestly you should really try to avoid flying without GPS enabled at all times.

Did you mean avoid flying Drone without GPS On ?

In other words just simply fly with it on is the best way.

... But honestly you should really try to avoid flying without GPS enabled at all times.
Just my opinion, but I think that all pilots should get at least some experience of flying a drone without GPS assist...if only to have that experience to hand should there be a GPS drop out mid flight...to avoid having to learn to fly without GPS in a mad panic.

GPS assist is a real boon for holding the aircraft steady while you concentrate on getting that awesome picture, but I think at least a little practice flying without GPS should be considered by all pilots as part of their self training...at least when the aircraft is reasonably close to the pilot.

Just my opinion.

in sept 2019 i passed my pfco and flight test, I could actualy control the bird better with gps off (atti mode) , but sometimes there is the odd question that pops up your not sure of 6 months later, like the realsence not working without gps, another question is why is realsence not available, then when your out in the sticks theres no more warnings, obvious its to do with gps lock, and i found that with no camera attatched looks like it wont complete the start up and say its ready. my guess is that it wont complete without camera cause im not in the field at the moment ,what do you all think

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval