Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Replacing the body shell =10hrs

Reaction score
Oh man, I just did a body shell replacement on my Q500+. What an ordeal. Seems like there were a hundred little screws to remove and replace. To do this job you really need a cordless drill with allen bits for the two small sizes of allen screws. I didn't, I did this all by hand with T-handle allen wrenches. By the time I realized the extent of screwing I needed to do, I figured by the time I got in the car and found the right size allen bits, I could have all the screws out by hand. That was a mistake that contributed to my sore back today, leaning over the project so long. I should have hack sawed my t-handled allen wrenches to fit the drill, but I didn't. You also have to unsolder every motor from their respective ESCs. This takes an industrial strength solder sucker that can fit over each of the 3 large gauge motor wires, and a good 50W soldering iron. I didn't realize that until I got all the screws out, so I had to get in the car anyway to find the right solder sucker. This whole deal turned out to be a 10hr job! Even doing it a second time with the drill w/ allen-bits, and the experience I gained, I think it would take at least 8hrs.

This is all because I accidentally launched in SMART mode, when I normally always launch in ANGLE mode. I guess the switch got bumped up somehow. The craft was only ~10' from me when I launched. I didn't notice the lights blinking on the bottom until it was airborne. I was going by the Welcome Pilot message, which isn't enough. That was a huge error on my behalf, and I paid the price. I'm sure you all know what happens if you launch inside the 25' safety zone in Safety Mode, right? Yes, once the craft is in the air it gets a mind of its own and takes off in a direction of it's choosing to get 25' away from the controller. Unfortunately it flew toward me, right over my head and hit a tree 10' behind me. The craft doesn't allow any controller input during it's mission to get outside the 25' zone. After hitting the tree the ground impact snapped a motor arm.

I'm having a difficult time accepting fault, but it was my fault. I deem this a software bug. I would have designed the s/w to prevent take-off when an error like this made, launching within the 25' safe zone.

Last edited:
Thats a tough ordeal to read about, all around. That is a good suggestion though, to have a software update to disable take-off when in Smart Mode within 30' of the Radio..

Reactions: paul mac
Oh man, I just did a body shell replacement on my Q500+. What an ordeal. Seems like there were a hundred little screws to remove and replace. To do this job you really need a cordless drill with allen bits for the two small sizes of allen screws. I didn't, I did this all by hand with T-handle allen wrenches. By the time I realized the extent of screwing I needed to do, I figured by the time I got in the car and found the right size allen bits, I could have all the screws out by hand. That was a mistake that contributed to my sore back today, leaning over the project so long. I should have hack sawed my t-handled allen wrenches to fit the drill, but I didn't. You also have to unsolder every motor from their respective ESCs. This takes an industrial strength solder sucker that can fit over each of the 3 motor large gauge wires, and a good 50W soldering iron. I didn't realize that until I got all the screws out, so I had to get in the car anyway to find the right solder sucker. This whole deal turned out to be a 10hr job! Even doing it a second time with the drill w/ allen-bits, and the experience I gained, I think it would take at least 8hrs.

This is all because I accidentally launched in SMART mode, when I normally always launch in ANGLE mode. I guess the switch got bumped up somehow. The craft was only ~10' from me when I launched. I didn't notice the lights blinking on the bottom until it was airborne. I was going by the Welcome Pilot message, which isn't enough. That was a huge error on my behalf, and I paid the price. I'm sure you all know what happens if you launch inside the 25' safety zone in Safety Mode, right? Yes, once the craft is in the air it gets a mind of its own and takes off in a direction of it's choosing to get 25' away from the controller. IUnfortunately it flew toward me, right over my head and hit a tree 10' behind me. The craft doesn't allow any controller input during it's mission to get outside the 25' zone. After hitting the tree the ground impact snapped a motor arm.

I'm having a difficult time accepting fault, but it was my fault. I deem this a software bug. I would have designed the s/w to prevent take-off when an error like this made, launching within the 25' safe zone.
But I commend you on taking on the repairs. Probably saved some money and the headaches of shipping. Very cool.

I agree, no start/launch in smart mode if you are too close. , maybe the controller can vibrate with a warning message when you are within 25'. The unit wont even start if you are in home mode, why not the same in this case. It's easy to bump that switch without realizing it. I had the same thing happen to me, luckily i was in a wide open field and was able to switch to "angle" mode before anything bad happened, but it was a very unpleasant surprise. Seems like an easy fix, hopefully we'll see that safety feature added in the next update.

Sorry to hear about you busting up your drone, but no doubt your story has probably saved others from a similar fate. And will hopefully turn into an actual safety feature.

Last edited:
Reactions: paul mac
Well thank you sir for your post. Ive been waiting for my body to arrive (not sure what the hold up is since its been a week and I live in Northern Ca, and Yuneec is in Southern Ca, but regardless when it shows up Im taking it to the hobby store and letting them swap it out. He quoted me $60 or $70 and a few days time since he works the shop alone and has to stop to help customers but I don't care, Id pay the guy $100 if he wanted it. For me to take time off work and do it myself would cost me much more than that.

You mentioned. "You also have to unsolder every motor from their respective ESCs" Really? I wonder why Yuneec built the airframe mold that way.

For us DIY folks, can you share with us the EXACT SIZE for these two screws and the type of screws. I have time to replace the body and like to pick up the bit size for my cordless hand drill. Much appreciated.

For us DIY folks, can you share with us the EXACT SIZE for these two screws and the type of screws. I have time to replace the body and like to pick up the bit size for my cordless hand drill. Much appreciated.
Sorry but I sold my Q500+ and I don't remember the size. I went to the dark side, Phantom 4. Oh man, 40+ mph.

Thanks for the QUICK reply, John. Let me ask about the wrench and screw, it's NOT a priority type fit, right? It's a standard Allen (hex socket) drive - a six-sided recess for use with an Allen wrench (hex key), is that what you can recall?

I have Allen wrenches, but my two smallest sizes don't fit. It' the Goldilocks story. One is just a little too big and the other is a little too small (fits into the recess head of the screw but doesn't grasp any of the sides). Do you remember if it's a METRIC size thing?

Any help is appreciated.

i crashed my q500 by accidentally setting off in safe mode damaging my cgo2 unrepairable i cant afford a new cgo so i had to fit a 2axis gimbal with a sj4000 wif camera i get lots of jello affect but i can still get fpv using an android tablet i realy miss my cgo with its superior quality

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval